Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
eek.gif
eek.gif
Man... youre e888 has been de-throned?
eek.gif
Wow Didn't think I'd see that day!!

Garrett

Not yet , i don't have the e888 currently so ksc 75 takes it's place. My impression of e888 has somehow faded so i can't tell which is the better phone.

May 19, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
KSC-35 with 75 ohm adapter to a SR71 is indeed mind blowing. The Ultimate Portable Rig.

That's what I'm sayin', Jahn!

The thing now is that I'm very much digging the JMT Pimeta + KSC-75... been listening to it all afternoon. Having JMT lower the gain to 3 makes all the difference in the world..

If I go with the SR-71, I'll definitely have to get it set for low gain... talk about blackness! Not to mention a volume knob that will be useful from 12:00 and up, rather than sticking to the 7-10:00 position...

May 19, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
#4 !!! DIY!! all the way...

401268_259_full.jpg

Isnt it funny how every Pro- KSC75 rant eventually evolves into the where/how-to adapter discussion.

Garrett

What is that, wax? Seriously though.. I'd like to get an adaptor cable that's pretty nice, but I don't feel like paying $50 for the Ety 4P-->4S cable.. I'd almost be willing to take one of those resistor+plug+taffy looking adaptors at this point to save some cash... I suppose some heatshrink over it might pretty it up a bit...

May 19, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
What is that, wax? Seriously though.. I'd like to get an adaptor cable that's pretty nice, but I don't feel like paying $50 for the Ety 4P-->4S cable.. I'd almost be willing take one of those resistor+plug+taffy looking adaptors at this point to save some cash... I suppose some heatshrink over it might pretty it up a bit...

its plastic epoxy. got the stuff at home depot. Its the type that comes in a dual-tube arangement where you mix the hardener and the compound. You just encapsulate the whole resistor assembly. I could have mede it look nice with my dremel, but I was lazy. The shorter one is 100 ohms the longer one is 75 ohms. Someone on the forum is using 47 ohm resistors too.... Never tried them myself, but may some day.

IMHO a cleaner (although permanent) solution is to splice the cable at the Y and add the resistors there. Enclose the assembly with heatshrink. I might try this next, since I never listen to them unamped.

Garrett

May 19, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #20 of 39
How exactly did you wire in the resistor(s)? One into each channel wire, or just into a single ground wire, or..?

May 19, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 39
Has anyone tried Benchmark DAC1 -> Gilmore Dynahi -> extra impedence -> KSC75? Hee, that would be interesting.

I really like my KSC75s. I originally got them for portable use and exercise, but I soon came across a great deal where I traded my HD497s (which my KSC75 replaced) for a pair of ER-6s. I like the ER-6 a lot more than the KSC75, I think with a little EQing the ER-6s do have a good, bass strong "fun" sound, and still that Ety detail.

But yeah, the KSC75 are easily the best value of any headphone that I've ever seen.

May 19, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 39
Never tried the 75, do have a couple of 35 though. For the money decent sounding. What put me off is the sloppy one note (mid) bass thump (plus I don't really need portable cans). For portable use my daughter prefered the mx500 - more balanced sound to her ear, and from a brief listen I tend to agree. Maybe I should dig those 35s back out again and give them another try. Perhaps an amp and inline resistor will help them. I do wonder about why you'd want to use a $200+ amp with a $20 can, but since I haven't listened to it I don't want to comment further. My big complaint with the 35 was too much, and too boomy bass - maybe an amp and resistor tames that - does it? I could find out for myself I suppose, but hard to motivate to do that since it is unlikely they would sound better than hd650, and I've got lots of other things to do...

May 19, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 39
I wonder what kinda music you guys listen to? Surely this must have a large influence on what you percieve as good sound. OK there are a fair number of people with eclectic tastes here (including me to some degree), but I doubt there are many. A headphone can sound very good with say jungle but sound total pants with a soft acoustic/piano track.

May 19, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #25 of 39
I don't know what the "official" definition of giant killer is, but this is what I mean when I use it in referance to the KSC75 (and probably the KSC35 as well, I have mine shipping to me also),...I mean that they are excellent sounding headphones that don't cost a lot of money, so good sounding & so cheap that it makes me embarased to purchase anything else besides them. If I can have such good sound for ~$20 (USD), how can I justify paying so much more for headphones that deliver no were near the sound quality to price ratio as the KSC75. They may not be as good as Sennheiser's HD650 or AKG's K1000 or one of those Orpheus or R10 or CD3000..etc, but man I don't have to work overtime for weeks in order to pay for them either. They just seem to make those bad boys that everybody wants, yes including me, seem just a tad bit more foolish than the complete rediculousness the we all know they are.
wink.gif

May 19, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
I wonder what kinda music you guys listen to? Surely this must have a large influence on what you percieve as good sound. OK there are a fair number of people with eclectic tastes here (including me to some degree), but I doubt there are many. A headphone can sound very good with say jungle but sound total pants with a soft acoustic/piano track.

I am far from an audiophile... so yeah that is a factor... KSC75s arent perfect. Compared to my other cans they are a bit sloppy. Less tight and defined sounding as my other cans. Yet I still find them enjoyable and just as fun to listen to as my more refined cans.

Garrett

May 19, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
I don't know what the "official" definition of giant killer is, but this is what I mean when I use it in referance to the KSC75 (and probably the KSC35 as well, I have mine shipping to me also),...I mean that they are excellent sounding headphones that don't cost a lot of money, so good sounding & so cheap that it makes me embarased to purchase anything else besides them. If I can have such good sound for ~$20 (USD), how can I justify paying so much more for headphones that deliver no were near the sound quality to price ratio as the KSC75. They may not be as good as Sennheiser's HD650 or AKG's K1000 or one of those Orpheus or R10 or CD3000..etc, but man I don't have to work overtime for weeks in order to pay for them either. They just seem to make those bad boys that everybody wants, yes including me, seem just a tad bit more foolish than the complete rediculousness the we all know they are.
wink.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

May 27, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #28 of 39
I've been looking for these clip-ons forever, and they finally got em in where I work.
biggrin.gif

Now, I already have the PortaPro 2s, and I'm looking for a non-overhead pair of clip-ons. Are the 75s better or worse than the PortaPros?

BTW, the PP2's are currently my cans of choice; they sound a lot more fun than my Audio Technica FC7s. Which is not to discredit AT, of course.

May 27, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
Not exactly but it sound way beyond its 20 dollars price tag , piano sounds very nice and realistic on the koss, it makes me not missing my home rig. A very enjoyable phone achieve a balance btn bass and clarity. It sounds far less muddy than my sportapro. It is one of the very few phones which can make people forget about their more high end phones. Any ksc 75 owners?? Do you agree with me?

my friend came here, bought one of those and has not returned. I mean no visits since purchase.

and personally I would rather the KSC-75 over the MS-2.

May 27, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back