ksc-35 vs mdr-d66 eggos?
Jan 9, 2003 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Tina

100+ Head-Fier
hi guys!

just wondering if anyone of you could comment on which out of these two should i get. i'm in the lookout a new pair (again) and these two are at the lop of my list. both have good reviews but if there'll be a shootout between the two, which do you think would stand taller.

example, i'm seen the d66 vs v6 comparison of vertigo and redshifter and their preferrence on the d66 over the v6.

but i've also seen fixup's page in which he mentioned: "...KSC/35, from Koss, is the best for you. Its sound is even better than Sony's MDR-D77, which costs $179. I am not kidding.". the d77 is the better brother of the d66.

does this mean the ksc-35 is better than the v6?
confused.gif

opinions?

thanks.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 39
HI TINA: This is my review on the eggo D66. I hope this get this post started.

SONY EGGO D66
SONY EGGO D66 REVIEW
Source SONY MZ-R700
AMP. Super Mini V3
The built of the D66 Eggo is well thought out. The headband is metal covered by rubber. The one wire is angled toward the back of the headphone somewhat and don’t get in your face. The ear cups are well made and small but big enough to cover the ear when the ear is inserted into the ear cup. The drivers are 40 mm and are angled from right to left and give a very nice sound stage. The comfort is fantastic and just disappears after a short while. The headphones fit like a glove with no space around the head. They fit snugly around the head to the ears. The ear cups look great and small and real good-looking and stylish. The wire is of a nice grade and well made and sturdy. The ear cups fold up very nicely to about the size of a mans fist. They are very portable and they are also Very light weight. The isolation is not all that much without any music playing. With the music off I can hear my TV sound but with the music on I only hear the music at a normal level. The sensitivity is 106 dB and can be used right out of a pcdp or mini disc but I always use a amp to better the sound and volume.
SOUND
These are the very best portable headphones that I ever heard bar none. The HIGHS are very strong and smooth. The MIDS are very actuate and up front and very clear. The BASS is real nice and strong but not overpowering. The headphones sound almost like full size headphones that I find most amazing especially for a portable headphone. The clarity is fantastic in all areas. These are real fun also to listen to for they have that certain fun sound of boy it is fun to listen to these headphones. The cost is 99.00 a bit high for a portable headphone but once you hear them the cost is just fine for the amazing Eggo D66 portable headphone.
RECOMENDATION
I highly recommend the Eggo D66 headphone for portable use. I have had many portable headphones, earphones, and ear buds and never had this caliber of portable sound

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 39
Having owned the both the V6 and Koss 35 I would have to say that the 35s are "more my cup of tea". In fact I wasn't impressed at all with the V6, though they have quite a reputation here.

Cant comment on the eggos ... they certainly seem the flavour of the month.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 39
the ksc35 sounding nicer than v6???

then i will continue using my grados. heheehhe. i really want to check out how the v6 sound.

tina--haha, still shopping around.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Buddha
Having owned the both the V6 and Koss 35 I would have to say that the 35s are "more my cup of tea". In fact I wasn't impressed at all with the V6, though they have quite a reputation here.

kewl. now that confirms it between the 35's and the v6.

lou, great notes there too on the eggos.

but still, the shootout between the 35's and the d66's is still unanswered. more opinions from more members would surely boil this up to the bulls eye.

ken: once you get hooked to this place, there's no salvation for your dear pockets
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 39
Tina
HI: I no longer use my koss-35 so if you would like I will send them to you for free.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 39
eek.gif
wow lou, you're a darling.

but i'm afraid i'm one stubborn and proud person. as much as i'm hypervintilating for it right now (its freakin $50 us dollars here), i'm afraid my pride takes over.

thanks for the offer though.

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 39
Lou, somebody will really appreciate your generosity. I still listen to my KSC-35s once in awhile because even though I have better phones I like the portability of being able to stick them in my jeans pocket, and I'm always surprised how good they sound! They are warm and bassy but in a good way I think. These are a definate must-have for how much they cost $20-$30. I prefer the KSC-35 over the PortaPros because they seem less cumbersome.

STILL WAITING FOR MY D66 EGGOS!!!! this is my first order from audiocubes but the wait is sooo long. i feel like a kid waiting for a new toy every time i order new headphones
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 39
austonia
HI: I understand how you feel about the 35. I use to feel that way to. But when I think about what is it that I am after I find that to be great sound. The Eggo D66 gives me that and the 35 don't come close to that. So even though the eggos are bigger but still very portable I put my 35 away and now listen to great clear actuate full comfortable sound from my eggo D66.

Jan 10, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 39
i would concur with lou.

i had the KSC-35 for about a week, and while they are great for the price (about $20 USD) and are supremely portable, i dont think they hold a candle to the Eggos in either sound or comfort.

the KSC-35s seemed too bass heavy to my ears, and i just couldnt get used to those clips, they pinched my ears too much.

i second what lou stated about the Eggos in his review. i gave a pair of the MDR-66 to my girlfriend and have gotten to use them quite a bit. if you can afford the Eggos, go for it. I prefer them to the V6 (which i have used only once, so i cannot claim much expertise or experience with them) in terms of both sound and portability. i enjoy how small the eggos can fold up and i think they sound more balanced than the v6. thats to MY ears, some may disagree.

if you dont like the eggos, im sure there are many here who would buy them from you, including myself.

gluck, and enjoy your purchase.

btw, if the ksc-35 are ~$50 USD there, how much are the Eggos?

Jan 10, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 39
more votes for the eggos, eh?

i'm still thinkin about fixup's findings.

anyway, nanahachi, i have to order the d66 online since sony korea doesn't have them (why? beats me). but they have the d22's in stuck for quite a while now. tried emailing them, but, you know sony people
mad.gif

no ksc-35 supporters here?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
no ksc-35 supporters here?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I adore the KSC-35's. They're easily on par with my SR-80s (what? Am I crazy? Probably! But who cares, that's my opinion!). They're light, small, portable, and they sound WONDERFUL.

But I've never heard the Eggos.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back