KSC-35, Love at first sight.
Jul 26, 2002 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fael

New Head-Fier
Ok, ive got to look into getting a portable player asap (any suggestions?).

The Look: Snufkin waved arround a bag with "koss" printed on it, pulled out the 35's and my eyes lit up. Apperance wise, these are more than i could ever ask for, black plastic, unique styling, these babys scream "I LOVE SOUND"

The Feel: Totally comfortable, so light you barely notice them. Simple to put on and they feel like they are going to stay on.

The Sound: When i first played music through them, i was convinced that the subwoofer (and to a lesser extent the mid-range drivers) on the speaker set we also have hooked up was also on. This turned out to be false, i was totally blown away.
As small as they are, they have a nice soundstage. Everything sounds like its happening outside your head. The bass detail was fantastic and the high end was fine. Im not yet confident in my ability to judge mid-range, but it sounded sweet and pure.

I only got a chance to play with these for about 20mins or so, but ive allready decided to snap up a pair.

In comparison to the KSC50s , these have more of everything (although I think the 50s might have something over the 35s in the high-end and perhaps the high mids).

Conclusion: There is nothing in the price-range that even comes close (appart from the 50s (perhaps the 55s, but i dont like the whole behind the neck thing). If you can get access to them, stock up.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, what kind of PP are you looking for? CD, MC, MP3? I had a SONY MD-R50 (AFAIR) portable MD-rec, and it had plenty of power, well enough for the KSC-35. My iPod also served them well (better actually).

I am a little sad, as I sold my 35s and kept the PortaPro only (and the Etys 4S
very_evil_smiley.gif
). By now I think the 35 to be better than the Pro, as the 35 has not as boomy bass. The Pro is a killer though, once you amp it it goes nuts, just too much bass, too much bass...
eek.gif

As it was said before, the 35s are an excellent pick at their price, and they do not need an amp to sound good or go loud, or both.

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by fael
Apperance wise, these are more than i could ever ask for, black plastic, unique styling, these babys scream "I LOVE SOUND"
biggrin.gif

They remind me of the 70's era sennheisers ... kind of retro chic for the portable crew.

Jul 26, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 7
35s are great, but I much prefer the portapros. I am convinced that the 35s are designed to fit average or smaller than average sized ears--they slip effortlessly onto my wife's ears and my daughter's ears, but for me, it takes quite a bit of tugging and pulling, even though I was given lots of advice on this forum and tried every technique. I personally don't find the portapros too bassy, even when run through my AirHead. I know I'm not alone here--there are a number of folks who have some trouble getting on those 35s.

BTW, Buddah--is your signature a reference to The Blues Brothers? I recall someone offering Orange whip in that fabulous flick, but I can't remember who. Was it the probation officer (John Candy's character)? Could be my favorite movie of all time.

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
BTW, Buddah--is your signature a reference to The Blues Brothers?

Yeah thats right Gus, thats the reference and it was indeed John Candy. Without a doubt my favourite movie of all time.

wink.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
35s are great, but I much prefer the portapros. I am convinced that the 35s are designed to fit average or smaller than average sized ears--they slip effortlessly onto my wife's ears and my daughter's ears, but for me, it takes quite a bit of tugging and pulling, even though I was given lots of advice on this forum and tried every technique. I personally don't find the portapros too bassy, even when run through my AirHead. I know I'm not alone here--there are a number of folks who have some trouble getting on those 35s.

i feel the same way, but i feel that they not really that bassy, just a little boomy and a bit muddy, my 50s arent as bad as the 35s i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back