Krell CD Players
Mar 19, 2002 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
Hi all,

I have spotted a Krell MD10 & Studio II DAC in the local hifi emporium.

It's priced at £1800 which from what can I gather is quite a reasonable price for such hi-end gear.

I'm tempted by this offer and will probably have a demo on it this week sometime hopefully.

I have found next to nothing about this on the 'net and was wondering if anybody here had any experience of these units. At the moment I am using a Naim CD3.5 + Flatcap and wonder how these players compare soundwise?

Sound As Ever

Mar 19, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by KeVlaR
[...]
At the moment I am using a Naim CD3.5 + Flatcap [..]

If the hifi press is even remotely right, you are one lucky person
biggrin.gif

But then again, the craving for better never stops....

Mar 19, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 29
Hehehe

The Naim CD3.5 and the Flapcap is a really fine player. It really redefined the sound of CD's for me when I got it just under two years ago. The Flatcap really upped the Ante once again when I got that around 6 months ago.

Incidentally the dealer who sold me the Flapcap sold the business and left the company a month or so after me getting it from him. I hadn't even paid him for it! I felt a little guilty about that actually but as I was in hospital/housebound at the time there was little I could do about it.

Anyway I saw the Krell setup in the shop windows and my eyes popped out of my head and i made a mess of the windows by drooling
wink.gif
From what I have found, the Krell pair retail at around £10k so the price is unbeleivable.

Just need to assess my finances.

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 29
I am not a big fan of The Krell Sound. But alas I have only one experience with it, and it was not a good one (I have a Krell KAV300i integrated amp).

Mar 20, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 29
If you're going to listen to the Krell thing, you should also try to demo the CDX (which is about the same price) at the same time, particularly if you like the Naim sound (and Naim make fantastic CD players - I'm currently using a CDX/XPS, which is about to be upgraded to a CDSII). My guess is that the CDX would (to repeat the expression which seems to have impressed so many discerning head.fiers) **** on the Krell from a great height.

Ross

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 29
Having examined the insides of various Krell digital gear, I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot (3-meter in your case
smily_headphones1.gif
) pole. Those guys just didn't know what the heck they were doing.

For £1800, you have lots of better options available, like the Arcam FMJ-23 or CD-92 new, or perhaps some of the lower-end Meridian gear.

--Andre

Mar 20, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 29
FWIW, I traded my Meridian 508.24 for a Naim CDX.

Ross

Mar 21, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 29
Thanks for the opinions guys. They are much appreciated.

What i'm going to do is have a 7-day home dem on this rig so that I can get a feel for it in familiar surroundings with my some of my own favourite music.

Had a dem at the dealers yesterday and was quite please with what I heard. The resolution of this player was astounding and it has an uprfront sound like my current Naim but a little more relaxed.

Only problem was that the dealer didn't really have any decent speakers/amps in of a similar calibre to what i'm using so it wasn't a level playing field as such. So i'm looking forward to the home dem and i'll let you know what I decide.

Sound As Ever

Mar 21, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 29
Yes, please let us know what you think, whichever way you decide.

Mar 22, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 29
Just listened to a properly set up Krell CDP yesterday and it sounded very nice at first blush.

Mar 22, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 29
Hi Kwkarth

What machine was it that you were listening to?

What was your impressions on it's resolution, soundstaging, accuracy and just sheer overall ability/sound?

As I said in an earlier post i'm having on a home dem so i'll get to live with it for a week brfore I say yay or non on that. I get the feeling it will be a yay.

Sound As Ever (listening to his new Parasound PPH100 Phono Stage)

Mar 23, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 29
I believe it was the 280CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back