Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Sep 12, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #91 of 542
Thats exactly the mod I gonna do!!, but looks like you beat me to it
cool.gif
I think that would look totally industrial with the cut out bowl pads on it
tongue.gif

Congrats!

Now the next step would be to wire mesh the other side and add a pivot a la k1000...the KSC1000 mmmm.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #93 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
Just got my KSC75's today. The sound was a bit muffled/tinny, so I just cut out holes in the foam pads. Sound much better now. I don't think I'm going to do much more than that, though.

Trust me you may want to further than that
blink.gif

The stock enclosure is simply blocking those sweet spectrum. I had a chance to compare my modded PortaPro with SR60 and honestly I see no reason for me to buy SR60 when the modded PortaPro gives better Soundstage and Spatial effect, the rest is more or less similar. The only thing my PortaPro lacked was just a tiny bit of refinement on percussion sounds - just tiny bit.

That's how good a modded KSC75/PortaPro is
lambda.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #94 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Trust me you may want to further than that
blink.gif

The stock enclosure is simply blocking those sweet spectrum. I had a chance to compare my modded PortaPro with SR60 and honestly I see no reason for me to buy SR60 when the modded PortaPro gives better Soundstage and Spatial effect, the rest is more or less similar. The only thing my PortaPro lacked was just a tiny bit of refinement on percussion sounds - just tiny bit.

That's how good a modded KSC75/PortaPro is
lambda.gif

Would I get better sound from my SportaPro's too, if I drill holes in its enclosures? Right now I don't have a drill or dremel tool, so drilling holes into the enclosure of my KSC75's isn't really a viable option. Maybe I can bite through the metal with my teeth?

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #95 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
Would I get better sound from my SportaPro's too, if I drill holes in its enclosures? Right now I don't have a drill or dremel tool, so drilling holes into the enclosure of my KSC75's isn't really a viable option. Maybe I can bite through the metal with my teeth?

Yep, this applies to SportaPro too. All you need is a sharp pointy knife because the eclosure cover is made from flexible plastic. Takes a lot of paitence but it's worth it. No need to break your teeth LOL!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #96 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Yep, this applies to SportaPro too. All you need is a sharp pointy knife because the eclosure cover is made from flexible plastic. Takes a lot of paitence but it's worth it. No need to break your teeth LOL!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wow, how stupid of me. They are indeed plastic! I'll get on this right away. Thanks for alerting me to this fact.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #98 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
I plan to order a couple HD650 cables and use one to recable my KSC75.
Hopefully it doesnt take several weeks to get it from SennUSA.

I'll post the results when i make it happen.

That would be quite a sight...please post pics when you have them!

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #100 of 542
So I cut out some holes on the grill with a box cutter...I seemed to have damaged/cracked the plastic in a few places, and the grill looks like utter crap now. The sound is warmer and more detailed. It was definitely weird since I'm more used to crappy sounding headphones with a lot of bass and muffled mids/highs. ALso, I think I cut too much foam out of the right earpiece. Oh well...nothing was damaged.

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #101 of 542
Hey guys, last night I actually had an hour or two to kill before I'd be sleepy, so I MANUALLY drilled 1/8 holes like buffpants24's post. Only the 1/8 places though.

Oh man, I have this ugly blister on the side of my right forefinger, and the web between my fingers are sore from grinding the three screwdrivers (incremental size, so I could slowly and carefully make the holes bigger and bigger till it was 1/8) back and forth for over an hour, but it was worth it.

However, I think it's a little too bass shy now. But I don't get it; why make bigger holes in the middle where the driver resonates from? Wouldn't that just make the treble come out more and overpower the bass still?

Anyway, like I said, all I did were the 1/8 holes. Thus I have room to ask for opinions on what to do before I try anything else to bring the bass back a little bit.

Thanks kramer for the mod, and people for their opinions!

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #102 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdemon
I then cut out the rest of the original grill with a razor blade.
DSCF3419.jpg

those edges look a tad sharp...You should try sanding them down a bit so they don't snag on your ears.

My 75s have been collecting dust for a while...Might try this mod.

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #103 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
those edges look a tad sharp...You should try sanding them down a bit so they don't snag on your ears.

My 75s have been collecting dust for a while...Might try this mod.

oops, I forgot to post updated pics.....
DSCF3419.jpg

DSCF3508.jpg

DSCF3511.jpg

The original way didn't ever scratch me or anything but some of the pieces of screen would catch on the foam earpad and amplify into a horrible noise if the pad was compressing/decompressing during any moving around. so I used a 2 part epoxy to smooth out the whole dealie and help anchor in the screen better. finish looks good and if I would have cut the hole in the earpads about 1/8 of an inch smaller would be completely invisible, as is now you can see a thin line of epoxy if viewing from a side angle, but it wouldn't look out of place or homerigged to anyone walking by them on a desk.

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #104 of 542
That makes it look about 100x better IMO. I can imagine the foam just getting shredded from those little sharp edges. If the epoxy was just a bit darker, it would fit right in with the stock color.

Where did you get that size of mesh? Just a home improvement store?

I wonder if I could find the same material that Grado uses to protect the drivers...

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #105 of 542
Okay. I found the wire mesh. Now I need to just cut out the driver protection and replace it with the mesh?

I am going to use hot melt glue Grado style instead of Epoxy though...Just easier/more convenient. I will post impressions when/if I finish it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back