Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Jul 3, 2005 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 542

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive been posting scattered comments about my KSC75 mods across several threads. I thought some of you might appreciate a more consolidated summary. Another forum member stated the idea is to "buy low... mod high". Thats basically all that this is. Hope some of you find this useful.

Carefully pull off the foam earpads. The little spikes can really tear the foam up, so pull gently and unhook them slowly from the little spikes. To unsnap the grille cover, use a screwdriver or knife and gently push... here.

401268_359_full.jpg

The cover will pop off. Do not pry the cover up from the other side you run the risk of puncturing the diaphragm. I found this out the hard way and damaged a KSC50 driver. Notice that the grille is notched for proper orientation.

401268_360_full.jpg

You can see Ive already begun to mod them.... Notice also that the earhook can easily unsnap if it is in your way.

Use a drill and knock some extra holes in the grille. The idea is to try and get as much unobstructed air between the diaphragm and your eardrum. Ideally you could just remove the grille, but that would bring on other complications (duh!).
401268_362_full.jpg

Im using earpads from a koss KSC12. Its thicker foam than the OEM KSC75, so it places the drivers out away from your head a little. Gives more spatial distance and treble sparkle. Kind of like Grado bowls -VS- flats.
401268_364_full.jpg

401268_361_full.jpg

401268_364_thumb.jpg

I use sharp hobby scissors and a socket and cut a hole in the middle of the foam. Again... maximizing un-obstructed sound from diaphragm to eardrum. IMHO the foam really masks the KSCs wonderful treble sparkle.
401268_363_full.jpg

The result is a more open, dynamic sound. Mids jump out and treble really sparkles. Theres some intense treble in these little drivers, but its not intense in terms of amplitude... its more dynamic and ambient sounding. Its like a layer of glitter on top of some stellar mids. Theres some real frequency separation now that was not present before. Cymbal crashes are more separate from upper midrange guitars and keyboards. Kick drum bass seems to be more "airy"... has more depth to it, as opposed to a solid "thud". The "thud" is still there, but theres a sense of air around theat fundamental note.

Koss has a real winner here. Its my humble oppinion that EVERY head-fi member should own these or at least demo them and give them a shot. For $15... man... I cant think of a better bargain in the entire audio industry... guitar audio, car audio, home theater... you name it... the KSC75 is a real gem!! and a SUPERB value.

Hope some of you find this useful... remember "buy low - mod high"!!
Garrett

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardbop
Looks real nice. I might try something like that on my KSC75's.

Where did you get the pads?

Pulled them off a KOSS KSC12.

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 542
my pics of my mod:

17920441758.jpg

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 542
I'm looking forward to modding my KSC-75s when I get back from Japan in a month and have access to my dremel drill. Anyways, I was curious as to what kind of "socket" you use to cut the pads. Is there an certain diameter the hole should be? Can it ever be too big or too small?

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 542
WOW, Garett, WOW. I've got to try that! That is one kick ass mod you got there, man! Keep up the great work. I think this might replace my gift headphones of choice in the near future.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 542
dmunky: The only way you can mess up the hole in the earpads is if you cut into the curved part of the earpad around the edges. Just make sure to stick to the flat part of the earpad (sorry, hard to describe without a pic). And I just used a decent pair of scissors, didn't even need a socket.

Also I found that it helps to expand the outermost ring of openings in the grille cover, you can drill three extra holes through each opening to make them bigger. I'd post a pic, but no digital camera
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
Also I found that it helps to expand the outermost ring of openings in the grille cover, you can drill three extra holes through each opening to make them bigger. I'd post a pic, but no digital camera
rolleyes.gif

I thought about doing that too... maybe tonight
icon10.gif

I have this unproven theory (specuation really) that treble and upper mids (frequencies with quick attack/decay transients) project from the center of the driver. While bass and "slower" frequencies tend to resonate more from the perimiter. I have no way of proving this theory though. If thats the case you could tune the driver ouput depending on where you knocked the additional holes.

?????

Garrett

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have this unproven theory (specuation really) that treble and upper mids (frequencies with quick attack/decay transients) project from the center of the driver. While bass and "slower" frequencies tend to resonate more from the perimiter.

I tested this by taping a quarter to the center of each headphone and then listening to some music. The music ended up having less treble. The previous mod I did caused the treble to overpower the bass and mids a little. To remedy this, I made the outer holes bigger. Now, the bass is just as strong as it was before, but cleaner. The mids are better too.

75mod2.jpg

These phones are awesome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 542
Wouldn't drilling the outside frame holes help with airflow, or decrease any standing waves on the rear of the driver? I mean, isn't that one of the major differences between the Grado 125 & 225?

Jul 10, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 542
I've done this to the KSC50's a few minutes ago, but I just carefully pulled the foam off it. Problem is that it's not getting on very well anymore. How do you open up the KSC50's?

Weird bass, maybe it's the song, the bass seems, uh, just not well there. On lower volumes, at higher it's there, very clear.

I love piano with these things.

On a side-note: The foam is perfect for modding EX-71's to have less shrill highs. Put them in the foam/soft flex sleeve Shures way and put a new types of fitler in
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffpants24
I tested this by taping a quarter to the center of each headphone and then listening to some music. The music ended up having less treble. The previous mod I did caused the treble to overpower the bass and mids a little. To remedy this, I made the outer holes bigger. Now, the bass is just as strong as it was before, but cleaner. The mids are better too.

Is this in addition to having a hole cut out of the pads?

It seems like the next step is to just take out the grill altogether and mount the drivers directly on your ears?
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Is this in addition to having a hole cut out of the pads?

It seems like the next step is to just take out the grill altogether and mount the drivers directly on your ears?
biggrin.gif

hehehe, i actually did that while the plastic grill was off my portapros... i held them so the driver didnt vibrate against my ear...

didnt do a comparo though hehe

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #15 of 542
I just Kramer-modded my KSC75 similar to Buff's style. Not a bad free upgrade, though time cost/benefit ratio maybe wouldn't be worth it to the sane person. In other words, it won't affect anyone here.

I definitely recommend a Dremel for this, as it's essentially detail work. I used the flexible neck attachment and a 1/8" drill bit. Easy. The hard part was cleaning up the holes. I didn't have any sand paper handy so I just used an X-acto and some good lighting.

I can't believe I did all this for $13 headphones! LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back