koss35s v portapro
May 18, 2002 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been useing my koss 35s for a few weeks now and about after 2-3 hours the 35s seems to hurt me behine my ears. To day I had a 5 hour session straight with them and it really hurt. So I got out my portapros and set then on light and wore them for about 3-4 hours and had no pain at all. They were just very conftable. I have quarter holes cut in the pads and on light setting the bass is just like the 35s. I was woundering if anyone else has had this problem with the 35s and if they whent to the portapros over the 35s. I feel that both of these cans sound great and that they are both equal in sound. I just find the portapros are a lot more conftable. Any thoughts on this and please I like the 35s so this is not a put down on them. I am only talking about the confert of the cans.
ps.
I find the bass on the portapros whan they are streached out and set on light is like the 35s.

May 18, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 20
If i had the choice of choosing between the ksc35 or PortaPro.....

i think i will go with porta, the retro design is enough to make my ears drool. Ive only seen picts of it.

so if any is reading.......is it possible that u post some of ure picts of the PortaPro.

And on those making of DVDs, i see one of the directors or camera mans wearing a porta, so cool looking.

May 18, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 20
The 35s do dig into my ears after prolonged use, but my ears are larger than normal. However the metal hook and loop thing on the portas also dig into my ears when i use the portas. I myself prefer the porta sound over the 35, and would snatch a pair up if they didnt hurt so much.
mad.gif

May 18, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 20
what about the sound of the Ksc 50?
Ksc 35 is not available here so I gotta choose between Ksc 50 and Porta Pro (or Sporta-it got boomy bass)
So Ksc50 is OK right?
I use it 60% outdoors so the style would be kinda important. Porta Pro looks a bit stonage.

May 18, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 20
iceage
HI:
The ksc35 and the portapro are well knowed on this forum to be better that the ksc50. I think that you would be in for a treat if you tried the portapro. They are very good sounding and sound much bigger than they are in size. They are also very conftable with their 3 position confert level control. I paid 49.00 for mine and think they were worth every penny for portable use. I cant think of a better more compact great sounding can for the money. Just remember to cut a nickel to a quarter size hole in the pads to release the sound and tame the bass.

May 18, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 20
Cutting those nickel sized holes.....will it also work for sporta?

plus, wouldnt dust and maybe hair get inside the drivers?

or i could buy some radioshack pads, and see how it will sound like.

May 18, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 20
kenchi1983
I have cut holes in all my pads on all my cans even the grados sr-80s and never had a problem but if you are worried about it then dont cut the hole. There are several cans that come with open pads like the grado large open pad stock on the grado line 80s up. Some members get the radio shack pads over the stock pads. Check around for info on mods and look for the hole cut and what members have to say about it. What ever you do good luck.
ps.
I have long hair and a dusty house with no problem. LOL

May 18, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 20
I find the KSC-35's comfy if, after about every half hour or so, you *rotate* them a little.

Like, you rotate them so the clip is higher up on your ear, and then a half hour later, you rotate it so its a little further down...

May 19, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 20
I think the KSC35s and PortaPros use the same driver. The only difference is the headband and earcups. Same as the KSC50s and SportaPros.
correct me if I'm wrong,
md

May 19, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I think the KSC35s and PortaPros use the same driver. The only difference is the headband and earcups. Same as the KSC50s and SportaPros.
correct me if I'm wrong,
md

Nevertheless the PortaPro will be pressed tighter onto your ears due to its construction, resulting in much improved bass-performance in comparison to the KSC-35, which was one of my reasons to upgrade to it. The other reason is the headband itself, which I found to be much more useful if you just want to put away the cans for a while - with the KSC you always need some place to store them, and it takes longer.
My problems with the Pro: After one hour on tight, my ears hurt, and there is little isolation, leads to insane volumes, leads to lots of leakage and ear damage.
Both cans are great sounding fun-phones IMO, but they loose some detail due to the massive bass.

BTW: The PortaPro will sound a good bit smoother with a TAH, although it does not need an amp at all.

May 19, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Nevertheless the PortaPro will be pressed tighter onto your ears due to its construction, resulting in much improved bass-performance in comparison to the KSC-35

Now we're talking personal preferences. I personally find the KSC-35 to have better bass (read: less boomy, more accurate) than the PortaPro.

May 19, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Now we're talking personal preferences. I personally find the KSC-35 to have better bass (read: less boomy, more accurate) than the PortaPro.

I was talking subway-scenario
wink.gif

The KSC has great bass, but even less isolation than the Pro as it does not sit as tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back