KOSS UR40: PERFECT!
May 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

jaycee1

100+ Head-Fier
I'll write up a full review later, but these circumaural open headphones are just UNBELIEVABLE!

A recent pair of on ear headphones had impressed me with their sound quality, but were a major letdown in terms of comfort (lack thereof). Therefore, I began a search for potentially great sounding circumaurals. I already have a pair of JVC circumaurals. Those are good, but despite endless mods, they never were able to achieve the status of great sounding headphones.

I pulled these UR40's out of their adult-proof box, and was very concerned about their ability to match the sound quality of my open on ear headphones.

After listening for about 5 seconds, I was completely floored. The first word that came to mind: PERFECT. PERFECT. This is almost exactly what I was originally looking for: a truly neutral headphone with exceptional realism, including the type of impact that catches your attention. These seem to be completely non-fatiguing, yet exciting to listen to.

The bass is very powerful, but in a realistic manner. It never overwhelms or calls undue attention to itself. Yet, when the source supplies some strong bass, the UR40's are more than ready to deliver with full impact. 

The treble is very, very neutral: it doesn't sizzle or stand out. It delivers what the source encodes. 

The midrange is more of the same: there isn't any undue coloration, and the mids are not overly forward. 

Also, and this was my initial reservation: these headphones seem to be completely free of any odd delays or echoes as a result of the circumaural design. I hope I resist the desire to mod. These are spot-on out of the box. 

Overall, what you get is MUSIC. You get what what's encoded in the source. There is a tiny bit of extra bass slam, but again, it is so musical and realistic, it never seems exaggerated or silly. I am just amazed at how effortlessly these headphones deliver such a balanced, realistic sound. 

One extra bonus: even though these are open back, they provide some minimal amount of noise isolation: it's probably only 5 dBA or so, but it's just enough so that it's an unexpected and welcome bonus. 

May 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 45
I've looked at them before, and never quite pulled the trigger. I have the KTXPro1, and have had KSC75 and PortaPro......any comparison to those models?

May 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 45
I'm impressed that you can tell they are "completely non-fatiguing" after only 5 seconds.

Looking at the specifications for these at koss.com it looks like the same 60 ohm titanium coated driver as found in the Porta Pro, KSC75 and family. If so you could have got something "UNBELIEVABLE! .... PERFECT. PERFECT" for half the price. They saw you coming :wink:

May 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 45
Quote:
I'm impressed that you can tell they are "completely non-fatiguing" after only 5 seconds.

Looking at the specifications for these at koss.com it looks like the same 60 ohm titanium coated driver as found in the Porta Pro, KSC75 and family. If so you could have got something "UNBELIEVABLE! .... PERFECT. PERFECT" for half the price. They saw you coming
wink.gif

They have been around for a quite while, and yes it is similar to the driver that are used in the KSC 75. Cheap, very decent value, but unbelievable and perfect?
I'm not sure that I will agree with this :) There have over the years been other threads on HF discussing this particular unit and I'm not certain why they in 2013 suddenly are better than they were 5-10 years ago.  I have owned a pair at one time. Time changes as well as opinions..I guess

May 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 45
It's certainly a very different sound from today's typical budget headphones and IEMs which tend to be booming, thumping and leaden. Dull, dull, dull. I expect encountering something with a top end is very surprising to many people and quite a revelation.

It's impossible to go very long without noticing the lack of really deep bass and shortly afterwards that when you try to add even a +2 dB low shelf at 50 Hz you can run into bass distortion.

"But at the price....." is the ever present phrase. But using the price to explain the sound is never a good indicator.

Anyway, very good for $30.......

May 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Looking at the specifications for these at koss.com it looks like the same 60 ohm titanium coated driver as found in the Porta Pro, KSC75 and family. If so you could have got something "UNBELIEVABLE! .... PERFECT. PERFECT" for half the price. They saw you coming
wink.gif

To be fair, for some people the UR40 might be significantly more comfortable than the KSC75 or PortaPro, which might very well make it worth double considering how cheap they are to begin with.

Anyway, yeah, very good for their price range.  Far from perfect, but a good beater / loaner set.

May 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:
It's certainly a very different sound from today's typical budget headphones and IEMs which tend to be booming, thumping and leaden. Dull, dull, dull. I expect encountering something with a top end is very surprising to many people and quite a revelation.

It's impossible to go very long without noticing the lack of really deep bass and shortly afterwards that when you try to add even a +2 dB low shelf at 50 Hz you can run into bass distortion.

"But at the price....." is the ever present phrase. But using the price to explain the sound is never a good indicator.

Anyway, very good for $30.......

I can agree on that part and they are actually quite comfortable and very good for $30.

May 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 45
@sethsez:

True. Also the form factor probably removes the temptation to wear them outside. I wore my KSC75s when I went to the shops yesterday evening. Nobody actually laughed but I think it was a close thing.

May 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 45
check this review and what he has to say about the open back at 0:57 :p

May 25, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:
check this review and what he has to say about the open back at 0:57 :p

"This is my hand, and this is Ummm... The headphone "

" I didn't know why I have speakers on my headphones "

This kid cracks me up.

May 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 45
The koss headphones are all right, but they don't have those fancy nano particle carbohydrates. I recommend you stick with nano carbohydrate headphones, dude. So much fancier. :)
Quote:
I've looked at them before, and never quite pulled the trigger. I have the KTXPro1, and have had KSC75 and PortaPro......any comparison to those models?

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 45
this guy will lower my IQ . . So stopping video at 1:12 . . . :p 
as for the headphones , they actually r pretty good for the price . . no where near the other headphones i got (senn. momentum, beats mixr (dont judge me :p ) and sony mdr zx300. . . but they r a good buy for newbies. . . .or just casual music . . 

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #15 of 45
They are good value, mids are warm and detail is not too bad, soundstage is airy and wide.  There have been some bad reviews of the Koss but I don't have anything too negative to say given the price paid.  Will be comparing to the Porta-pro soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back