Koss UR-40 or PortaPro?
Feb 17, 2007 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Soundscape

100+ Head-Fier
does the ur40 use the same driver as the ksc75? how do they compare to each other, or rather how does the ur40 compare to the portapro?
i like the ksc35 and 75, but would prefer a headband to the clips. so which would you choose, and why?
thanks

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 6
I fine my portapro stock to sound more intimate than than the UR-40 as I fine the 75 to be also. I like my portapro drivers in the 75 clips to sound best between the two but as soon as I put on the UR-40 I hear a much larger sound and sound stage. The UR-40 are way more comfortable to boot. I think the UR-40 sound as big as many full size headphones and are the very lightest full size headphones bar none.
At the price of the UR-40 I think they are a best buy and have keept my over many other headphones that cost much more money.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 6
i love my ur-40s, and nothing can stop that, except i need to recable them... stupid door.... anyway, after you do some mods to open em up, they sound really.... nice

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fine my portapro stock to sound more intimate than than the UR-40 as I fine the 75 to be also. I like my portapro drivers in the 75 clips to sound best between the two but as soon as I put on the UR-40 I hear a much larger sound and sound stage. The UR-40 are way more comfortable to boot. I think the UR-40 sound as big as many full size headphones and are the very lightest full size headphones bar none.
At the price of the UR-40 I think they are a best buy and have keept my over many other headphones that cost much more money.

x2... I also find the porta a little more bassy than either the UR40 or KSC75.

Sonically, the UR40 is my favorite of all the koss 60 ohm cans. I bet if you put the non-Ti porta drivers into a UR40 it would sound pretty good too.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 6
they're comfy too!!! this is kinda beside the point, but no one greated me with the official head-fi greeting yet....

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're comfy too!!! this is kinda beside the point, but no one greated me with the official head-fi greeting yet....

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet! Enjoy your stay!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never heard the portapro, but I've heard they're bassy. I have heard the UR40 (very briefly) and the KSC75. They sound pretty similar, but the UR40's are big and super duper comfy. I'd go with one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back