Koss (S)PortaPros vs Grado 60
Jul 2, 2002 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

neb

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm not overly impressed with the Grado 60's for the current crop of portable cd/md units (they won't even plug into the remote for a start!). Headroom recommend the Koss Portapros as good, (relatively) cheap headphones with great sound. Has anybody got/heard both and can give me an opinion?

Neb

Jul 2, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi neb!

I could only second Headroom recommending Porta Pros. I have 2 pairs of them and 1 KSC-35 with the same drivers, now discontinued...
frown.gif

For portables, they are easy load and much more storable, light and you can forget you are wearing them. Soundwise, they excel and are almost as good as Grado 225 IMHO. I think you should absolutely get them, maybe even Sporta Pros, they are cheaper and more bassy. If you like it, go and buy them.

Your
Moonwalker

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 12
The portapros are great cans and sound much bigger than they are but if you can get the koss 35 they are better and cheeper and have a tammer bass and bigger sound stage and go on your ear instead of over your head. If you cant get the 35 then the portapros are a great value and are great for portable use and you whont need to upgrade till you have lots of money for say the 580s plus a amp or some other high quality headphone plus amp. If you can afford a portable amp the koss portapro or 35 will be at there full potential but sound real good without a amp. If you get one of the koss cans you can go to radio shack and for 3.00 get better pads for it.
ps.
I think that the portapros can be had for less money somewhere on the web. Do a search on the portapro.
pps
I think you can get the koss 35 at koss.com for 35.00

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi neb
I own the PortaPros and can tell you from personal experience they are great cans for the money-you know what, regardless the money...they sound very good even compared to much more expensive cans like the senn.580(which still sound better
wink.gif
)and even more important - they can be used on portables without an amp - which cannot be said about the 580...Any way, don't go for the SportaPro which although are supposed to have the same transducers as the Porta, sound much worse on my opinion...I have them also - my son wanted them because of the street style form, and I couldn't convince him otherwise - now he also prefers my PortaPros after he heard them more and noticed the difference...

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 12
I own (used to own) all 3 phones. For the three, I love KSC35 the most. Grado just had too harsch treble and thin sounding IMHO (amp like TA releived these problem). Porta pro overemphasized the bass department and put too much pressure on my big lemon head. KSC35 is just about right both portability and overall sound (though it's not well controlled as full size phones or amazing Ety). Finally, I sold grado and gave Porta to my girlfriend and keep KSC35. I'm currently happy with baby stax
smily_headphones1.gif

John

Jul 4, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 12
u also forgot the mx500

get those and the radioshak replacement thicker eapad replacements

boom
for under 24 bucks you get grado like impact
and soundstage
and sounds great

Jul 8, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 12
I agree with just about all of the above. Port-pros are good but too bass heavy, KSC-35s are just about right.

I recently got the Sennheiser HD-497's as an alternative to the Grado 60s, and generally prefer them. The sound is more laid back and they can be driven even by my underpowered mp3 player.

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 12
i have the grados too and noticed that they dont plug into the modern sony remotes, though i dont think this is a big deal as i either dont use the remote, or i will use the grados with my amp.

Never tried, but can you cut off that first ring part on the grado plug so that they will fit remotes? it apears that its just a cosmetic ring thing, and will not affect the plug if it is cut off.

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
I agree with just about all of the above. Port-pros are good but too bass heavy, KSC-35s are just about right.

I recently got the Sennheiser HD-497's as an alternative to the Grado 60s, and generally prefer them. The sound is more laid back and they can be driven even by my underpowered mp3 player.

The Portas have a sweet spot. If you just put them on they are too bassy... If you move them around you will find your sweet spot. For me it's a bit high and back on the ears.

Give it a shot, these things are absolutly amazing and I have found that with 240 Ohms of load on the signal they are pretty darned close to HD600s and thats a mighty bold statement!

Jul 9, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 12
HI ALL: I find that the portapro are only to bassy with the full pad on and this also muffs the mids and highs. If you cut a round hole in the pads about the size of a quarter that tames the bass and lets out the mids and the highs. Also you can set it on light for less bass. I find that the radio shack pad are better than what comes with the portapros. I would reconmend the portapros to any new comer and any one who would like a great sounding can that almost sounds like a full size can and are great for portable use. I use the total airhead with them and the portapros are one hard to beat can. And for the mony 49.00 or under these cans are a must have. Any new person do a search on them and remember that the bass can be controled by cutting a round hole in the pads. I would put the portapros up against much larger full size cans costing way more money. I just cant say enough about the portapros and use them every day and nite on my portable rig.

Jul 9, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
HI ALL: I find that the portapro are only to bassy with the full pad on ...

I used to think that until I swapped-out the LM6171 first stage with OPA627s in my Corda. Synergy is the keyword here.

Even still riding the driver a bit back and high will tame the portas qute a bit and doesn't involve cutting anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back