Koss Pro DJ100/200 - useless unamped?
Mar 29, 2015 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

barrist

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into purchasing a pair from eBay, but have heard I really need an amp for these to sound good. I really just want to use them out of my iPhone 5s for portability.

Any owners of these have any insight?  If that's the case, any suggestions for something in this price range for a full size headphone with decent isolation, AND a detachable cable and/or iphone control cable?

Another I am looking at are the Logitech UE6000 which can be found for pretty cheap these days. As a point of reference, my last commuting pair was the Sony ZX700 .. i really enjoyed the tonal balance of those. I would get another pair but they seem to have a design flaw where one side inevitably breaks (cable inside gets pinched or something).

Right now, I am using Sony ZX600 as a temporary solution (bought on Black Friday for cheap). They're just okay, but would like a bit of an upgrade in isolation and I prefer over-ear instead of on-ear. I have grown accustomed to the integrated iphone controls though so I would like my next pair to have that capability. 

tl;dr- do the Koss DJs need an amp, and if so, what are my other choices for an isolating, over-ear headphone for commuting with detachable and/or iphone controls in this price range?

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 4
The DJ100 sounds anemic from many low powered devices.  It's OK for some but not loud enough out of others.  There is at least one very ong thread here devoted to it.

The UE6000 is a very good can for the money, at least in the USA.  It is a safer choice from low powered devices.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks!
Unfortunately, can't seem to find the UE6000 for a good price here in Canada. 

I wonder if the Monoprice 8323 with some mods (pads, in-line iphone cable) would be an upgrade from my ZX600s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back