Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Aug 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,936 of 2,344
It'd be great if the Alpha Pads from Mr. Speakers fit these - pads that cost equal or more than the headphone for the win!

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,939 of 2,344
Still trying to figure out these SRH-440 pads. I love how it spaces everything out more. Majorly improved soundstaging and even more so with a good computer DAC. Some acoustic music makes it feel like you're listing to an open headphone with the SRH-440 pads. You never get that with the stock pads really.

There is a major variation in how each recording sounds with these pads. Hard to know what's going on. Some songs are thin/bright and others are sort of muffled/too warm. Others have the perfect amount of warmth. It feels like the DJ100 with these pads isn't adding much of it's own warmth like the stock pads tend to do (just a little).

Sort of gives it more of a studio monitor like feel with these pads.If your song doesn't have much warmth the pads+dj100 won't add any really. I get that sort of thing a lot on my K400. There's also some tracks i've heard dozens of times where I can now hear recording hiss or some sort of static.

Cantopop music sounds especially bad at times. Well recorded music sounds perfectly smooth almost always. These pads make the DJ100 almost unforgiving with crappy material. I guess that was a plus with the stock pads. Tracks with weird peaks were a bit easier on the ears.

I put some HD-650 foam inside the pads and that brought back a little more bass and warmth. I don't know if I could suggest the SRH-440 pads without some foam backing. Probably would make it sound too close to an SRH-940 or KRK KNS-8400.

I guess M50 pads might be better perhaps. They offer the same benefits of the SRH-440 pads but still retain the stock bass (IMO) and still have a decent amount of warmth. SRH-440 pads seem to have more depth though compared to M50 pads.

I've also found I prefer the E17 DAC (amp disabled) to the Schiit Modi for the DJ100. E17 is a little fuller sounding but has a smaller soundstage. I don't think the E17 is that warm though.

I may try some Razor pads but $22 or so shipped. SRH-440 pads would be PERFECT if you had M50 foam backing.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,942 of 2,344
Quote:
If the 840 pads fits both Mad Dog and DJ100, shouldn't the Alpha pads fit DJ100 more or less?

I'd buy some to try but they're out of stock until the 15th of Sept.
They almost look like Brainwavz HM5 pads. Those I didn't really like on the DJ100 at all...

What i'd like to find is some velour M50 pads.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,944 of 2,344
Quote:

I may try some Razor pads but $22 or so shipped. SRH-440 pads would be PERFECT if you had M50 foam backing.

There are some M50 knock off's on ebay that have foam inserts that slide in and out, Maybe would work with the 440's?

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,945 of 2,344
Quote:
so which pads are you guys going with? the m50 or the 840s?

The M50 is the "Safe Bet", Swapping pads around is more of a taste issue where the M50's pretty much are a must.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,946 of 2,344
Quote:
The M50 is the "Safe Bet", Swapping pads around is more of a taste issue where the M50's pretty much are a must.

I agree. I just wish M50 pads didn't get hard after a few months.
I also liked the Pearstone/Auray Velour pads with some holes poked into them, but this is a waste of time/money for most people.
They did make the DJ100 sound warmer than even the HD-650 though. Not like congested or muffled sounding though.

Unfortunately the Auray pads are not as roomy as M50 pads.

BTW if anyone is interested..I'm not longer using the SRH-440 pads. They do reduce the bass more than I'd like.

Without M50 pads I just don't listen to the DJ100 as much. Unfortunately there is no way to fix M50 pads once they go hard.

When I buy some more I will store my DJ100 in a case away from the air.

EDIT: I wish Koss did an actual redesign of the DJ100 to make the pads deeper and without round cups. Have it sound like the DJ100 + M50 pads. They also should remove the DJ label.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,947 of 2,344
so I'm thinking of buying the m50 pads soon and pairing this with my micro amp.  Problem is, I used to have an itouch4g that was stolen...so now I don't really have an LOD to connect to the amp.  Word is that the itouch5g (which i have) outputs sounds really well already.  Should I just connect the amp through the headphone port or should I get the lightning to 30pin adapter >LOD>amp>Koss set up?

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,948 of 2,344
Quote:
so I'm thinking of buying the m50 pads soon and pairing this with my micro amp.  Problem is, I used to have an itouch4g that was stolen...so now I don't really have an LOD to connect to the amp.  Word is that the itouch5g (which i have) outputs sounds really well already.  Should I just connect the amp through the headphone port or should I get the lightning to 30pin adapter >LOD>amp>Koss set up?

I wouldn't suggest the headphone out to Micro but to me it doesn't sound like it degrades things too much. The Fiio LOD cable is super cheap so I'd just suggest getting another.

BTW I think the Micro is comparable to the O2 (and even better possibly). I have both and use the O2 in the bedroom.

I'm also confused, but why would you need a lightning to 30 pin adaptor for the Ipod Touch 5G. New line out or something? I must be outdated..

EDIT: I just found an answer for myself. Yikes, different connector on the Ipod Touch 5G. No thanks.

Cost of an adapter is listed as $39. Yikes! For just $10-$20 more you could get a refurbished/used Fiio E7.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,949 of 2,344
I have been eyeing the 100's for a while and I finally bought a used pair for $30. I went through my bag of extra pads and found some that gave a slightly better sound than the stock pads but I won't switch because I prefer the proper fit of the stock pads on the headphones. I did add another foam liner with center cut out and that improved the comfort and fit for me. I think they sound good with my e11 and no extra bass. If Iwant better soundstage,I will switch to one of the three open back headphones that I have. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,950 of 2,344
bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back