Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jul 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #631 of 2,344
I see you've kept on updating your Amazon review tdock. I was just wandering around and saw it with an update as late as 4/22. Nice job. 

Still recommend these cans all the time. They're at $50 right now on Amazon and the TBs are only $80. Well worth it on either price.

I also know we share a first name now. :D

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #632 of 2,344
Quote:
I see you've kept on updating your Amazon review tdock. I was just wandering around and saw it with an update as late as 4/22. Nice job. 

Still recommend these cans all the time. They're at $50 right now on Amazon and the TBs are only $80. Well worth it on either price.

I also know we share a first name now. :D

Yeah, what's surprising is that there's still only 26 reviews! I think it's only due to the fact it's labeled as a DJ headphone and people avoid those.
Maybe Koss will make a revision and make it more comfortable and less portable. No stupid round pads! I want larger memory foam pads.

Hard to believe they're $48. I felt like they're a good deal at $80. The TB is a steal at $75, but too bad I'm not a fan of that signature on the cups.

It's not often a headphone can still Wow me after 2 years. I guess they just have my near perfect signature, which almost never happens for most people.

One thing about these is that these seem to measure differently or worse than they sound to my ears. The Headroom/Inner fidelity graphs don't seem to show any upper mids peak.

I still need to find the perfect pads for them. The M50 pads are as close as you'll get, but after 6 months they get kind of hard. I don't know why. I need to take one for the team and try the HDJ-2000 pads.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #633 of 2,344
Nabbed these buggers when they went on sale over at CanadaComputers and at first I didn't really think much of them. I found it strange that I really had to drive up my PC's volume settings to get anything out of them. As per the recommendation in this thread (and, well, everywhere else) went out and got an entry level amp with some help from the dude at headfoneshop.ca and wow did it make a difference. Although it's touted as a portable pair I think it works better as a set for home listening - pads ain't so kind with the recent hot weather. I seem to only take it out if I'm burning midnight oil elsewhere :V I guess the next step would be getting an entry level DAC.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #634 of 2,344
Quote:

E11 will do just fine. I suggest to not use a LOD cable though or if you do, compare between that and a headphone out jack.

I don't suggest recabling the DJ100. It's a MAJOR pain. You'll have to drill holes or remove the stereo/mono switch. I recabled mine maybe a dozen times and wish I didn't. A cable that's too thick seems to mess with he DJ100s sound.

I use ALO SXC and Cardas with with Tony Bennett version and there's some benefit, but it still has the internal wiring.

It seems the DJ100 doesn't improve a ton with a recable. ALO silver plated copper is definitely nice though, but it can make it a bit thinner sounding.

I haven't heard the K340, but the DJ100 has some similarities to the DJ100. DJ100 has better bass, more treble and sounds clearer. Obviously the sextett does a few things better. I like both.
IMO the DJ100 is like a closed sextett, but on steroids
normal_smile%20.gif

Somehow there's not many headphones that sound like the DJ100. Maybe pair the Sextett with the SR-225i and an HD-598? I have no clue!

Thanks for your reply!

I think recabling will not be a problem for me. If there will be a minor improvement that's ok for me.

So now I am between Mogami copper wire and silver plated copper wire. Which one do you think will be a better choice?

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #635 of 2,344
I think it's almost worth recabling just to not have the heavy coiled cable anymore - it'd make a better jump rope.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #637 of 2,344
Last night I was testing the Tony Bennett/DJ100 out again with Fallout 3. You might think i'm nuts, but it had the most realistic sound compared to the rest for this game. Probably the most immersive gaming headphone compared to all the others I own. Go into Corvega Factory and there's some low bass that sounds like it's straight out of Jurassic Park. Something that just barely registers on the Q701. Seriously if I hadn't of heard it on the DJ100 I wouldn't have known it was there on other than the KRK KNS-8400. Believe it or not the KNS-8400 actually has very good accurate bass. It could produce the low bass the others really couldn't. When you fire an assault rifle though it's very ear piercing. Could be the crappy DAC.

What's interesting is that I hooked my Turtle Beach DSS (no 5.1 enabled) to an amp and I felt as if there's some stuff I didn't previously hear, however this is possible. When all those ants are nearby, you really feel as if they're surrounding you.

I also tested the Q701, HD-600, HD-598 and the AD700(!) and the bass just wasn't the same. You couldn't feel it and it's like you're totally missing out on the whole experience. The Q701 to my ears was the best, but I still felt I was missing the bass. I remember in Bioshock 2, there was almost too much bass on the DJ100! Not quite, but almost. And they say the DJ100 doesn't have enough bass...

I was wearing the giant metal Hellfire armor and when you move, you should actually hear it's movement. It's big and heavy and there's almost like a thud with every movement. That's basically non-existent on most of the other headphones except for maybe the HD-600. If I hadn't known, I would have thought I was just wearing some random clothing made from fabric. On the DJ100 you feel as if you're like almost in that suit of armor in Bioshock 2. Have you played that? It's not quite as loud, but close.

I actually think the DJ100 had as much detail as the KRK KNS-8400. Between all the headphones I tried, the KRK and DJ100 I liked the most. The only reason I'd use the others are for the larger soundstage.

Strangely the DJ100/TB seemed to have more forward mids than usual. Maybe the TB DSS has really forward mids? Tonight i'll have to connect the DJ100 straight up to my receiver.

What's interesting is that the DJ100 and KRK had to be cranked up to near max volume with the Turtle Beach DSS. Even the HD-600 seemed to get as loud. I did test the others with an amp though.

I actually don't know if gaming without M50 pads would be the same. They really help in many areas.

If you want an impressive headphone to try, use the DJ100 or KRK KNS-8400 in Skyrim or Fallout 3. The 8400 in Skyrim feels like a closed Q701, but with better sub-bass and more treble.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #638 of 2,344
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

I think recabling will not be a problem for me. If there will be a minor improvement that's ok for me.

So now I am between Mogami copper wire and silver plated copper wire. Which one do you think will be a better choice?

Mogami is good, but I suggest finding the thinnest version available. People will think i'm nuts, but the 2893 seemed to mess with the bass a little. I felt like there was more cup resonance, but again..I must be hearing things.
I loved silver plated copper on the DJ100. It does change the sound a little, but I only have tried the more expensive ALO SXC. My impression was more sound clarity and a larger soundstage. Slightly thinner mids somehow. This seems to be my impression of it on the Q701 as well. It's much better on the DJ100 (or HD-600 I imagine) than the Q701.

My problem with recabling the DJ100 (not TB) is that it messes with the sound too much. People can say this is impossible all they want, but that's what I heard. The worst wire I used on it was Canare. Severe loss of sound clarity. Very muffled and too much bass. This is probably why I hated it on the HD-650. It's great with the Q701 or maybe a Grado.

The one wire i'd suggest is:
CA-0363
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=CA-0363&Category_Code=MICROPHONE

It's generic Belden wire I think. I prefer Mogami over this on the 598, but not the DJ100.

BTW I tried a Grado SR-80 cable on the DJ100 and it's actually quite good
normal_smile%20.gif

I even once put an HD-650 cable on the DJ100! What a mistake that was..

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #639 of 2,344
How well could a decent mobile phone like HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxies drive these? I would mostly use them on the road and I don't like having my pockets full of little boxes. Amazon's $49 deal seems a steal as it will pass through my country's customs without extra payments.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #640 of 2,344
Im in the same boat as SonicScientist.  I would mostly be using these with a MyTouch 4G smartphone, or an iPod Nano 4th gen.  Would they be able to drive them decently?  Also, if I were to get these, which would be more important first, the M50 pads, or an amp?  And what would you recommend as the best bang-for-your-buck amp to accompany these with?  I'm thinking about just slowly getting everything for these when I get the money.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #641 of 2,344
Just got a used pair of TB's off some guy on kijiji for $60 CDN. I'm currently listening to J-Pop songs with these. I'm not going to bother with burn in because they should have been used for a fair amount of time already.

First impressions: Sparkle or sibilance, I'm not sure, but either way I got fatigued in less than 30 minutes. Vocals are very, very forward, at least compared to my IEMs. This is my first headphone purchase, and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last. In every song where there's cymbals, they just sound so terrible.

To answer the two questions above, I'm using my G2X and Sony PMP, and damn, this headphone is power-hungry. I usually keep my PMP volume at the lowest, but now I have to turn it up to at least 10 (out of 30). At lower volumes it's very clear that they aren't getting enough power. They lack body.

Looks like I might have to get an amp >_> Probably would also look into the M50 pads.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #642 of 2,344
Quote:
How well could a decent mobile phone like HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxies drive these? I would mostly use them on the road and I don't like having my pockets full of little boxes. Amazon's $49 deal seems a steal as it will pass through my country's customs without extra payments.

Quote:
Im in the same boat as SonicScientist.  I would mostly be using these with a MyTouch 4G smartphone, or an iPod Nano 4th gen.  Would they be able to drive them decently?  Also, if I were to get these, which would be more important first, the M50 pads, or an amp?  And what would you recommend as the best bang-for-your-buck amp to accompany these with?  I'm thinking about just slowly getting everything for these when I get the money.

Any decent phone made in the last year or so SHOULD drive them just fine. Enough to make them sound good. I imagine the sound will be comparable to driving them from an Ipod Touch. My Ipod Touch 2G drives them well enough, but I do use them with a $25USD Fiio E5. Doesn't make much sense, but a Ipod Touch to Fiio E5 sounds pretty amazing and this is just with the headphone out!

I myself would probably go for an amp before the M50 pads. You could probably get both for under $45. I would say the M50 pads are not a must have, but they do help the sound and comfort. For some people the stock pads touch their ears and don't fully surround them. I like the extra treble from the M50 pads.

I don't know about the Nano, but my Sansa Clip+ drives the DJ100 quite well. I think that tiny think drives power hungry headphones better than the Ipod Touch. Sure seems like it!

For the DJ100 I'd suggest the Fiio E5 over the E11. E11 is OK, but nothing special. I prefer the mids of the E5, but the E11 does have better bass and a larger soundstage. Haven't noticed much else.

Of course the best portable amp to my ears for the DJ100 is the Total Airhead, but it's a bit overkill for just one headphone like the DJ100. It's $100, but drives even the HD-600.

I really need to pick up that JDSlabs CMOY or the PA2V2. I wish I would have returned the E11, it's very good, but I already have the much better Airhead and the E5.

BTW I don't know how, but the E9 sounds great with the DJ100. The large jack only!

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #643 of 2,344
Quote:
Just got a used pair of TB's off some guy on kijiji for $60 CDN. I'm currently listening to J-Pop songs with these. I'm not going to bother with burn in because they should have been used for a fair amount of time already.

First impressions: Sparkle or sibilance, I'm not sure, but either way I got fatigued in less than 30 minutes. Vocals are very, very forward, at least compared to my IEMs. This is my first headphone purchase, and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last. In every song where there's cymbals, they just sound so terrible.

To answer the two questions above, I'm using my G2X and Sony PMP, and damn, this headphone is power-hungry. I usually keep my PMP volume at the lowest, but now I have to turn it up to at least 10 (out of 30). At lower volumes it's very clear that they aren't getting enough power. They lack body.

Looks like I might have to get an amp >_> Probably would also look into the M50 pads.

Some Jpop is really fatiguing to begin with, so the DJ100 won't really make it any easier on the ears
biggrin.gif
I have some songs from Hitomi and her albums are so poorly mastered that I had to weed them out of my collection. Drives my ears bonkers. Most of my Jpop is just slow boring vocals mostly. I have some Cantopop and there's a ton of sbiliance IN the recording. Luckily I've not found the DJ100 makes it any worse like the DT-880 did.

One thing I noticed with the TB/DJ100 is that somehow they're actually MORE fatiguing or harsh when under-amped. I only really noticed this a few months ago when I was trying to tell the difference between amped and no-amped. When I gave it a lot of extra power the entire signature became much smoother and nothing really stuck out too much. Sure, the mids were forward, but not enough to bother my ears. It seems like when they don't have enough power they seem to have less control over the sound you're hearing. Even the bass gets bloated and sloppy. I even noticed that straight out of the Sansa Fuze. Still good, but much better controlled with even an E5 amp.

I do find vocals forward with stock pads, but no more than my K601 and the old SR-225i believe it or not. The M50 pads seem to reduce this front row like effect, but not a lot. It seems to balance everything out a little more. I haven't done any major comparisons between stock and M50 pads though.

On my Sansa Clip+ I need to put the volume at nearly 95% with the DJ100. With Classical or anything with a large soundstage, it's basically maxed. My HD-598 gets away with being at probably 75% or somewhere around that. The DJ100 supposedly doesn't require that much power, but I don't believe it!

I even notice an improvement when going from a LOD cable to getting the extra power from the player. It's like the mids get more filled out and are just much fuller sounding.

I think from day one I never felt the DJ100 sounded thin or lacked body. With my E11 and a LOD cable it's much thinner than when going from the headphone out to the amp. Pretty surprising. I've definitely noticed through my E9 and Micro Amp, the sound is very full sounding. Not like a Sennheiser HD-600 or anything. More like say a Sextett.

Sometimes the DJ100 is picky with sources too. You can try a different one and see if it's sound changes. One thing that's fun to do is go to a thrift store and find a dirt cheap old full sized CD player with headphone outputs. The DJ100 somehow manages to sound good with some of them. My JVC from 92 seems to drive the DJ100 quite well. I only paid around $15 for it and it's as good as new.

I think the DJ100 is a perfect match with the E5. Any amp that plays well with the M50 also is fine with the DJ100. Strange.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #644 of 2,344
I'm going to order a pair for $45 in Canada.  If anyone else in Toronto is interested in a pair, let me know.  Free shipping over $75, so 2 pairs will qualify, comes out to $50.xx for a pair after tax.  If no one is interested, will pay the $10 shipping charges and order tomorrow.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #645 of 2,344
Quote:
I'm going to order a pair for $45 in Canada.  If anyone else in Toronto is interested in a pair, let me know.  Free shipping over $75, so 2 pairs will qualify, comes out to $50.xx for a pair after tax.  If no one is interested, will pay the $10 shipping charges and order tomorrow.

May I ask where you're getting these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back