Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,327 of 2,344
Where can one find a pair of these nowadays?

At the price they're going for on Amazon, I'd get the ProDj200's. The cable detaches and that's a big plus. My 100's no longer work because the cable went to crap. I can send them into Koss for repair but I've avoided it because I'm perfectly fine with my Audio Technica ATH M20X's.

Also, I second replacing the pads if you get them.

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #2,331 of 2,344
Still own two pairs of these! Still one of my all time favorites.
I actually find the Tony Bennett version to sound a little better (can't really confirm it) and that's the one I use.
I probably haven't used them without the M50 pads in years.

The biggest negative of these is that I MYSELF could never use them without an amp.
Even my HD-650 does better without an amp somehow.
The bass on the DJ100 is very underrated. I think it's nearly flat down to 10hz and you can actually hear/feel the low bass.
The KRK KNS-8400 also has impressive low bass and that's considered bass light to some.
There is bass on the DJ100 that's basically missing on the Q701, HD650 and the DT-880. HD-650 actually has pretty good low bass for an open headphone.

My most used headphone though in the last 2 years has been the HD-650 (I'm mostly retired from headphones sort of).

Someday I want to try the new Koss Pro4S but it's too expensive for me right now.
I asked Koss for a review unit loaner, but no reply. I guess they don't trust me
biggrin.gif

I'm their #1 DJ100 fanboy too...boo

BTW I can hear differences between all my gear changes with this headphone just like on the DT-880!
I can hear them a little on the HD-650, but not as easily.

I wish Koss could somehow figure out how to make a portable open headphone using this driver.
With this driver they could easily make a better sounding headphone than even the HD-598 (which I really like, but ruined with mods).
This driver is held back by the enclosure I think, but still manages to sound pretty amazing.

I’ve been using the HM5 Pads for a number of years on mine. Still using M50 pads or did you ever find something better?

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,332 of 2,344
I just came back to using these after sitting in my closet for nearly two years. Man I forgot how good these things sound. I've gone thru several cans in these past few years and I have to say these things sound amazing. Even better then some of the big names. I'm doing side by sides right now with Beyer DT770 and HD600 And I'll say the Koss sounds better then both sets.
Nothing fancy either, All I did was put Brainwav Pads on the Koss. They sound so Natural, and the mids are really sweet. Of course this is just my opinion as we all hear differently..
I think for $100 you can't get better..Maybe even under $200? They give my 880's a run for their money :) (Better Bass for sure)

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,333 of 2,344
Some cans were just done better.
Definitely have above average high performing drivers in them.
The metal casing is how get away with any resonance and slim down the cup chamber.
Most other Headphones in that price range using plastic.
Cheers

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #2,334 of 2,344
I just came back to using these after sitting in my closet for nearly two years. Man I forgot how good these things sound. I've gone thru several cans in these past few years and I have to say these things sound amazing. Even better then some of the big names. I'm doing side by sides right now with Beyer DT770 and HD600 And I'll say the Koss sounds better then both sets.
Nothing fancy either, All I did was put Brainwav Pads on the Koss. They sound so Natural, and the mids are really sweet. Of course this is just my opinion as we all hear differently..
I think for $100 you can't get better..Maybe even under $200? They give my 880's a run for their money :) (Better Bass for sure)

Have them on my head right now with sheepskin :D hm5. Tried the 1540 alcantara and man they were comfy. But i slapped them on my Sextett as they didn't do the PROdj100 justice. And the hm5 is decent. I spend a lot of time trying to squish the pads (to get close to driver... by breaking down/stressing memory foam). Stock sounds best, but hm5 is like 95% there. I think when they squish they will be 100% again :D

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #2,335 of 2,344
Had mine in storage for more than 2 years, lately user M50x and most of the time Somic MH463. The clamping pressure from Somics + the bassy signature got me tired at the end of the day, and I remembered the Kosses (I've got the TBSE).
Wow, such clarity, it's just incomparable with Somics and Audio Technica. Like taking off sunglasses of the ears, want to re-listen to all my collection again.

*** i know that there is a lot of difference between those, besides price, but can anyone compare Kosses to Bose QC 35 II ? Wanted to get the Bose, but don't want to be disappointed, as the Koss sound so sweet (using FiiO X3 II).

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,336 of 2,344
Thanks for the recent posts. I love my Tony Bennetts. I recently picked the up after not using them for a while and the pleather, vinyl or whatever it is on the pads is flaking off and snowing down on me. I was shocked at this as they have been carefully stored. I would appreciate any advice on replacement pads as I haven't a clue. Thanks

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #2,337 of 2,344
Thanks for the recent posts. I love my Tony Bennetts. I recently picked the up after not using them for a while and the pleather, vinyl or whatever it is on the pads is flaking off and snowing down on me. I was shocked at this as they have been carefully stored. I would appreciate any advice on replacement pads as I haven't a clue. Thanks
I use the "Auray-Deluxe-Velour-Earpads", recommended in this thread a while ago. Those are very comfortable, the sound is great too. You can easily find those on Amazon. They hold up the test of time very nicely - I used those with other earphones as well.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2,339 of 2,344
Hello all. I recently acquired some ProDj200's on ebay and came across something unusual. The cables on these are NOT detachable. Does anyone know if Koss ever sold the Dj200's without a detachable cable? Perhaps these were modded? Seems like an odd thing to mod though since most people seem to prefer detachable cables.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,340 of 2,344
Hello all. I recently acquired some ProDj200's on ebay and came across something unusual. The cables on these are NOT detachable. Does anyone know if Koss ever sold the Dj200's without a detachable cable? Perhaps these were modded? Seems like an odd thing to mod though since most people seem to prefer detachable cables.

You have the DJ100, not the DJ200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back