Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jan 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,282 of 2,344
Exactly what I need... Pleather pads? The Evo comes with foam too. Which should I use?
I got my Evo in a trade... all I got was pleather.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,283 of 2,344
Anyone know what the deal is with the DJ100w? http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRODJ100W__PRODJ100w_Full_Size_Headphones

They look nice...

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,284 of 2,344
I have a DJ200, which is the same headphone but with a detachable cable. these have AMAZING details and clarity.... every time I put them on, they surprise me with their detail retrieval.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,285 of 2,344
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,288 of 2,344
According to reviews, they are identical, I bought the 200 merely for its detachable cable since I do online gaming and wanted to pair it with a V-Moda boom pro. For music, again, According to reviews, the 100 suffices.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,289 of 2,344
  I love the DJ100 but might try out the 200s next considering they're so cheap. Do you reckon the sound quality is slightly better on the DJ200s?

I second Sam above. I cant tell any difference on the sound of these two. Granted, i returned my DJ100 and then bought the 200 a while later. so no side by side comparison.
B!

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,292 of 2,344
Nice! I kind of expected that on treble, because Takstars obviously have some issues there. Guess I have to hear it myself. Thing is that Koss is not affordable in europe, but for sake of comparison I think I have to hear it.  You are talking about stock dj100, not with m50 pads or something? If it takes extra pads I will have to pass because it would completely destroy the value for money aspect. How about soundstage compared to pro80? Soundstage, imaging and the overall air and easinyes of presentation is what I find Takstars being good at. I've heard quite a few of these budget kings...Ha-rx900 has it on best treble, pro80 on soundstage imaging etc, somic mh463 wins the bass department(of course not for basshead's but for general good quality bass) and pioneer ha-s1000 is the most balanced overall performer. Superluxes are hit and miss, all models are lacking in one way or another.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,293 of 2,344
  Nice! I kind of expected that on treble, because Takstars obviously have some issues there. Guess I have to hear it myself. Thing is that Koss is not affordable in europe, but for sake of comparison I think I have to hear it.  You are talking about stock dj100, not with m50 pads or something? If it takes extra pads I will have to pass because it would completely destroy the value for money aspect. How about soundstage compared to pro80? Soundstage, imaging and the overall air and easinyes of presentation is what I find Takstars being good at. I've heard quite a few of these budget kings...Ha-rx900 has it on best treble, pro80 on soundstage imaging etc, somic mh463 wins the bass department(of course not for basshead's but for general good quality bass) and pioneer ha-s1000 is the most balanced overall performer. Superluxes are hit and miss, all models are lacking in one way or another.

I think original pads actually makes them sound cleaner while the M50 pads add a little solidity to the sound but overall it's not that big of a difference. My biggest reason for switching pads is because I have larger than average ears original pads are very uncomfortable. 

Takstars advantage is a much bigger sound with more expansive soundstage and their balance is more natural because the Koss accentuate the mids more. I am going off memory though I don't have takstars anymore. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #2,294 of 2,344
I had bought these a while back with the M50 Pads and liked my time with them but found them a bit harsh in the treble (upper mids?) and the M50 pads started cheaping out and put them in the drawer. A few months later I decided to try the Shure 940 Velour Pads on them to see and I really like how they sound. The bass is not obliterated by the velour pads, it sounds pretty neutral to me. I had been getting used to to elevated bass headphones and found them a bit bass light at first, but thats because my volume was lower becaue of the elevated bass headphones I had been using. Putting these up to normal live music levels or so and the bass has a good kick, the imaging is quite good (it has a very distinct left right center feel where I can pick out instruments) the treble isn't nasty and the comfort is really really good. Get some Shure 940 Pads (Make sure its the 940 and not the 1840 pads) and try them out and let me know what you think!

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #2,295 of 2,344
Today I visited BH Camera shop in NY. I had a chance to hear a lot of headphones, from different brands and priced very differently.
1. The Kosses are surely nit the best headphones out there. But they do try to have the same character that the best headphones have - to be truly neutral.
2. I liked Sennheiser HD650 more but not the 598 or 600 - too layd back sound.
3. The headphones I personally liked the most are the P7, QC25 and Fostex TH500RP. So it will be really challenging to change the Kosses to something at least as good and not get broke in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back