Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,266 of 2,344
You all should look into the new PRO4S. To me it's Koss' second best headphone under their electrostatics. Super detailed, warm, and bassy. Though the bass is quite strong, it is very controlled and tight.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2,267 of 2,344
  You all should look into the new PRO4S. To me it's Koss' second best headphone under their electrostatics. Super detailed, warm, and bassy. Though the bass is quite strong, it is very controlled and tight.

On. radar. Thanks!

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2,268 of 2,344

To rich for me, i'm afraid. It's almost 3x what the girl paid when she bought my gift, and, i have to admit, i would prefer sticking with the M50 pads i got for the Pro DJ 100. The 4s might not need "other" pads, and still accommodate my ears, but nobody in my area sells em so i cant try em on. It's a nice tip. Just perhaps not for me.
Thanks.
B!

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2,270 of 2,344
I bought a pair of these for my son. Warm and bassy are the last descriptors to come to mind. With all my gear, the cans sound a bit overly bright with a false sense of clarity (driven by the tonal balance).

Are you talking about the DJ100 or PRO4S? I found both the be warm and bassy, but I guess ones gear can change their own tonal balance. On my gear, both are super smooth and bassy. I do choose the PRO4S over the DJ100 for portable use, though if accuracy is desired, I switch to the DJ100.

In other news I ended up getting my dad some headphones for Christmas. He likes retro stuff and used to own a PRO4AA, so I bought him the reissued PRO4AA. He loves it and it doesn't sound half bad. While not being up to snuff with modern headphones, it sounds really good and had surprisingly tight bass for a can of the late 1970's. They are harder to drive than I thought, but nothing like my original PRO4, which needs to be at half volume on my Auditor to be loud.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,272 of 2,344
  Now what...?

I just turned in my Pro DJ 100 for a faulty cord. Store clerk told me i most likely will be getting a refund since they don't sell a comparable model anymore. Is anyone still offering deals on the Tony Bennet? (And offers international shipping, at that)
Getting the TB should remove the cord issue i've been having, just replace the cord... I guess the same is true for the Pro DJ 200 but for what ever reason it's 2x the price of what the 100 used to cost over here.

Sort of sucks, at least i managed to get some warranty on these, since they were a gift, getting hold the receipt wasn't that easy. But my girl is good, she held on to it. Just took a while to find it.
B!

Turns out this just happened. So, international sellers for a TB or Pro DJ 200, that would ship to Sweden... Anyone know of such a beast? Preferably one that is also quite cheap... Shipping is going to ruin the fun anyway.
B!

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #2,273 of 2,344

Turns out this just happened. So, international sellers for a TB or Pro DJ 200, that would ship to Sweden... Anyone know of such a beast? Preferably one that is also quite cheap... Shipping is going to ruin the fun anyway.
B!

http://www.amazon.de/Koss-KS179839-DJ-B%C3%BCgel-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-mikrofon-schwarz/dp/B007CNC79A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419977886&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+dj200

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,274 of 2,344
Thank you for that link. Google translate held my hand through all of that, and i think i managed to order 1 pair at a grand total of 74.64Euro.Turns out to about 45% more then the DJ 100 cost here to start with, and about 66% of what the DJ 200 cost here.
Now i just hope i never have to return these, ever.
Apparently i should have them between the 10'th and the 13'th. At which point i'll know what i bought, and if things turned out all right ;- )

Thank you again.
B!

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,275 of 2,344
  Thank you for that link. Google translate held my hand through all of that, and i think i managed to order 1 pair at a grand total of 74.64Euro.Turns out to about 45% more then the DJ 100 cost here to start with, and about 66% of what the DJ 200 cost here.
Now i just hope i never have to return these, ever.
Apparently i should have them between the 10'th and the 13'th. At which point i'll know what i bought, and if things turned out all right ;- )

Thank you again.
B!

Somewhat of a bad habit, quoting your self, and responding, especially when it's the last reply in the topic, but, anyhow...

Got the pair from above to day. Swapped the pads after checking that there was noise in both ears. When i did, i noticed that there seams to be cracks radiating out from the holes in the plastic "front" plate (where the speaker element is mounted.) Both from some of the holes over the element it self, but also from the "drilled" holes surrounding those.
I'm going to hang on to these and try to keep an eye on it. Returning it to Germany for warranty, at this point, would run me both shipping costs, and render me to be without headphones even longer. So, if the cracks doesn't propagate, i'm going to pretend not to know about them.

Different thing i notice. These seam to sound like my DJ100 did after playing for a couple of weeks, even as these are straight out of the box. Not as sharp up top, and quite "open" in the soundstage from the get go. I was fearing to have to "start over" with a new set of headphones, but these are good to go.

Cheers.
B!

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,276 of 2,344
my set up is a Sennheiser HD800 playing straight from the headphone jack on the sony SACD/CD player SCD-XA5400ES (plus I have andother  sony hooked up to ref quality tube amp and loudspeaker/subwoofer set up which sounds pretty much like the real thing)
The koss is much more enjoyable to listen to than the 800's. Not bad when compared to the loudspeakers.
don't know why but I can't stop tapping my legs to the 100's - (I'm and opera and classic music buff)-can't vouch for the reason I love the sound so much but it isn't a subtle effect.
sounds much more like real music than the 800's and more engaging than real music in that I can turn the volume up higher than real music and it just gets more engaging, not harsh or out of control

go figure

Jeff

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #2,277 of 2,344
Hey guys. I'm currently looking for a budget pair of cans. I'm considering the PRODJ100 and the Superlux HD-681 Evo. Both seem like excellent value for their price/sound quality. Any input for which I should grab?

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #2,278 of 2,344
Hey guys. I'm currently looking for a budget pair of cans. I'm considering the PRODJ100 and the Superlux HD-681 Evo. Both seem like excellent value for their price/sound quality. Any input for which I should grab?
i prefer evo for both sound and comfort. :beerchug:

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,279 of 2,344
i prefer evo for both sound and comfort. :beerchug:

Thanks Arsis... That's what I've been leaning towards, especially since I'll be using them at home while working, comfort is a big deal for me.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,280 of 2,344
Thanks Arsis... That's what I've been leaning towards, especially since I'll be using them at home while working, comfort is a big deal for me.
Big cushy pads and better bass extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back