Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,026 of 2,344
I'm frustrated: even the replacement pair has channel imbalance. Right is louder. That's also happening when in mono mode. I resoldered the joints in left cup and problem still remains. Tried multiple devices. dang it

Anyone else experiencing this?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,027 of 2,344
  I'm frustrated: even the replacement pair has channel imbalance. Right is louder. That's also happening when in mono mode. I resoldered the joints in left cup and problem still remains. Tried multiple devices. dang it

Anyone else experiencing this?

Don't use mono mode, I'll try it out later today when I get home.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #2,028 of 2,344
Yo,

Reading through this thread makes me kinda want to buy a DJ100 again, but I don't know. They are good but best under $200? NOPE. They are very pleasing to listen to with their smooth tone and full bass, but I recon my L1 is much better.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #2,030 of 2,344
  Yo,

Reading through this thread makes me kinda want to buy a DJ100 again, but I don't know. They are good but best under $200? NOPE. They are very pleasing to listen to with their smooth tone and full bass, but I recon my L1 is much better.

I haven't found anything I like better that's closed for under $200. So far it hasn't been the SRH-840, M50 or any Beyerdynamic models. The DJ100 with M50 for me seems to get everything right and I feel it benefits from my equipment (I know you disagree).

If a piece of gear is garbage or just not very good, I'll hear about it when I use my DJ100 with it. The DJ100 seems to love my O2, Micro Amp and Bravo V2 ($60 hybrid tube amp).

If you get the DJ100 again, I'd suggest the Tony Bennett version. Some seem to think it's perhaps less warm and has a little more treble. No way to confirm these, but maybe the TB version has a hand-picked/better version of the DJ100 driver.

Maybe the DJ100 doesn't use a titanium coated driver and the TB does?

I want to try some of these new fancy pants Phillips headphones but no way i'm buying a headphone with non user replaceable pads. For me that's a total fail. What company is dumb enough to do that? I can understand it if it was a $30 headphone.

I haven't looked into the L1, but i'm not a fan of really bassy headphones or anything too dark. I had the downtown but it had honky low mids and not enough treble.

BTW with the TB you can replace it's cable easily. It uses a standard 1/8" jack.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,031 of 2,344

I haven't found anything I like better that's closed for under $200. So far it hasn't been the SRH-840, M50 or any Beyerdynamic models. The DJ100 with M50 for me seems to get everything right and I feel it benefits from my equipment (I know you disagree).

If a piece of gear is garbage or just not very good, I'll hear about it when I use my DJ100 with it. The DJ100 seems to love my O2, Micro Amp and Bravo V2 ($60 hybrid tube amp).

If you get the DJ100 again, I'd suggest the Tony Bennett version. Some seem to think it's perhaps less warm and has a little more treble. No way to confirm these, but maybe the TB version has a hand-picked/better version of the DJ100 driver.

Maybe the DJ100 doesn't use a titanium coated driver and the TB does?

I want to try some of these new fancy pants Phillips headphones but no way i'm buying a headphone with non user replaceable pads. For me that's a total fail. What company is dumb enough to do that? I can understand it if it was a $30 headphone.

I haven't looked into the L1, but i'm not a fan of really bassy headphones or anything too dark. I had the downtown but it had honky low mids and not enough treble.

BTW with the TB you can replace it's cable easily. It uses a standard 1/8" jack.

Oh I know man. Not to dispute anything with you but I find the DJ100, TBSE, DJ200 to all sound the exact same (they use the same driver). Just like the K701/K702/Q701. The DJ100 doesn't improve with amping in my experience at all and if there is an improvement, I can't hear it. They aren't that revealing or picky with gear either. They seem to sound and perform the same on everything.

Granted the L1 and X1 are darker sounding headphones, especially the X1. They aren't too dark though and have nice treble energy. They are bassy and warm, more so than the Koss. You should give them a try though, I bet you'd like the L1 a lot.

The SRH-840 is an acquired taste. It's darker sounding than the L1 IMO and not as revealing or clear. I love the L1's so much, more than the KRK's. They aren't as technically advanced as them, but the tone is much more pleasing. The KRK were designed as studio phones, so they are sterile, detailed, and lean. What's funny is the SRH-840 is a studio headphone, but sounds more consumer friendly from it's tone and performance. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,032 of 2,344
Sucks. I still want a TBSE, but the only place i can really find em, is amazon.co.uk where they cost more then twize of what they cost on amazon.com. And for what ever reason, shipping is a PITA from co.uk... It's not "cheap" from .com either, but damn...

B!

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #2,033 of 2,344
I just received back my DJ100 after I decided to send it for cable replacement, it was on my closet for so long after the jack fall off by itself.

Well damn, it's utterly and completely outclassed by Soundmagic HP100 in almost every possible way (since they share the same sound signature) I kinda regret even bothered repairing it lol.

And yes they're $150 apart and not really a fair comparison I know.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,036 of 2,344
I guess that you're not looking for my opinion :wink:

The Dolphin's are not well known since they're not sold in either the US or Europe as far as I know but if you're lucky you'll catch someone else here that own them.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,037 of 2,344
I have not had the TBSE's out of the case in many months... I'll have to fire them up this weekend to keep the drivers from seizing. 
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,038 of 2,344
So I dug them out and hooked them up to the miuaudio MKTP1 hybrid, what a great pairing.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #2,039 of 2,344
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2,040 of 2,344
^ that's a sick value. 

I bought M50 pads but they made the sound bassless and bright. I guess my pads are fake - 6USD? http://www.ebay.com/itm/400687971648

Users who are viewing this thread

Back