Koss Pro-4aat revisited
Mar 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
i had a pair of these back when i started my headfi journey. a few members swore by these, but not many opinions out there. armed with only a cmoy amp, i was underwhelmed. they also clamped onto my head like a vise. loved the heavy duty build though. soon sold them off...

a few years later. i now have some decent amps, and was curious to listen again. a cheap used pair came up on ebay, so i nabbed them. the pair i received was well worn, and did not clamp my head like a vise. this probably affects the bass, but comfort is much improved. the build quality no longer seems as tank like as i thought, as i have seen about 150 headphones since 1st having the pro4aat.

however, armed with a decent amp, the sound!

in a word, great. very clear , slightly aggressive highs and mids. bass is deep, textured, and smooth. easily better than the shure srh440 i had sitting next to it. i dont know if extensive burn in was a factor here, or just decent amping. at less than $70 on amazon, these are a bargain.

keep in mind b4 u buy:

-clamps when new
-heavy
-says 250 ohms, but acts like 600 ohms! a decent amp is a must

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Yeah, these were my first real headphones. When I got my Gilmore Lite, I was blown away by the improvement, it was absolutely incredible. Unfortunately, they are incredibly uncomfortable...

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know what the difference is between those and the Pro 4AAA?

the pro4aa and the pro4aaa are vintage and sound like it- i have had both. the 4aat has a modern sound, there isnt much relation except in the difficulty to amp

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 5
I had both 4aa and 4aaa in the 80's. I remember the 4aaa's to be even more uncomfortable, as well as having a very disappointing sound compared to the rockin' 4aa's. I gave the 4aa's to a friend because I knew that I would go deaf if I kept them -- you could really crank them...turn the bass up too, they could take it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back