Koss Portapro Thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,201 of 1,309
Hey everyone, ready to finally get the Porta Pros after hearing so much about them since entering the hobby. Only the Drop Pro X appears to be in stock on Amazon Canada, are there any sonic differences from the classic models? Are they sonically the same? Just want to make sure before ordering it.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,202 of 1,309
Hey everyone, ready to finally get the Porta Pros after hearing so much about them since entering the hobby. Only the Drop Pro X appears to be in stock on Amazon Canada, are there any sonic differences from the classic models? Are they sonically the same? Just want to make sure before ordering it.
I've read they're the same sonically, I got mine (classic) for 40€, they sound similar to the XBA-Z5

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,203 of 1,309
I've read they're the same sonically, I got mine (classic) for 40€, they sound similar to the XBA-Z5

Thanks I appreciate the info. I vaguely recall reading somewhere the drop ones were a tiny bit less detailed (which in hindsight doesn't make much sense haha). I owned the Z5 few years ago and I enjoyed their sound signature so that is good to hear.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,205 of 1,309
Just got these babies along with yaxi pads. I got these after being so satisfied with the KSC75s, intending the porta pros as a complementary set for a more laid back listening and I can say these delivered. These sound better in high volume listening because the KSC75s tend to be fatiguing on high volume.

OOTB the bass is really good and rumbles can be really felt and are so satisfying. The mids are just recessed for me and not "veiled" as most reviews said, as I believe the separation between the mid bass and lower mids are still quite good, and not muddy. Feels more holographic than the 75s due to the more V-shaped tonality. For gaming, I think stock pads is much better.

With the yaxi pads, the overall tonality became more balanced, though I kinda missed the deeper rumble from the stock pads. Vocals are not that recessed anymore and overall tonality is more laid back. Comfort is also much better with the yaxi pads as many have reported.

If you like bass, stick with the stock pads. Am thinking if I should get another PPs for stock pad use when am in the mood for some satisfying rumbles. lol

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,206 of 1,309
Hello. It has been a while. A few years ago I picked up a set of KPPs on Massdrop and never used them. Started a new job recently that has me bouncing back and forth between two locations with a laptop and now they're finally getting some use. I LOVE these headphones. I've always preferred a non-fatiguing dark and lush signature (similar to LCD-2) and these pretty much fit the bill. I can still hear my surroundings, which is important for my work, and they easily come on/off for the most part. As of yesterday I've ordered the Parts Express headband (stock is too tight for my big ole noggin) and YAXI pads. Wish I had gotten orange vs black, but I don't want them to be more noticeable (at work) than they already are. Needless to say, I am stoked!

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,207 of 1,309
Yes, just need to take one of the sides off (remove the small round plastic stopper button) then slide on the strap/pad from one end. If you want to make your own strap/pad, use 3/16" sized holes and space them apart 6-3/4", this puts the holes right at the stopper bend point on the headband. Total length of the strap/pad is 7-3/4" (1/2" from center of hole to outer edge) and width is right at 1-1/2" in the middle and tapers to 1" at the ends...

i-mcVPtvV.jpg
Great picture / nice setup. Where did you get the leather headband add-on?

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,208 of 1,309
Great picture / nice setup. Where did you get the leather headband add-on?
The original leather was from MrSpeakers(Dan Clarke audio) leather comfort straps for the Fostex TX0RP series headphones... modded as described. Don't think they are available to buy anymore though.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,210 of 1,309
I have yet to properly A/B them, but the Yaxi pads seem to have made the KPPs almost bass light, IMO. I might revert back to stock pads, but this change was also made in conjunction with the Parts Express headband and a budget ExtremPro X1 dac/amp USB module for my work laptop, so I am not exactly sure where the most change is coming from. Clamping force vs thicker pads vs source, etc. I am however most definitely experiencing extreme comfort with this new setup, which is a relief considering the physical fatigue the stock setup can bring.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,211 of 1,309
I have yet to properly A/B them, but the Yaxi pads seem to have made the KPPs almost bass light, IMO. I might revert back to stock pads, but this change was also made in conjunction with the Parts Express headband and a budget ExtremPro X1 dac/amp USB module for my work laptop, so I am not exactly sure where the most change is coming from. Clamping force vs thicker pads vs source, etc. I am however most definitely experiencing extreme comfort with this new setup, which is a relief considering the physical fatigue the stock setup can bring.
That was the first immediate observation when tried the yaxi on the ppro. The bass got lighter.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,212 of 1,309
That was the first immediate observation when tried the yaxi on the ppro. The bass got lighter.
Good to know. Did you revert or stick with the more comfortable stock pads? Without subbass, the Yaxi really make these light sounding.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,213 of 1,309
Good to know. Did you revert or stick with the more comfortable stock pads? Without subbass, the Yaxi really make these light sounding.

Porta Pros never had great subbass to speak to begin with, they are midbass focused. The Yaxi pads are an improvement over stock both for sound and comfort. Much better quality bass with still rediculous low end (midbass)... stock low end is simply a bit too bloated and overpowering. I also don't run them on neutral/'bass light' reference amps... warm, powerful amps and EQ really wake up the lowend whether they be solid state or tube amp. Porta Pros will never have great subbass though - never had it stock and though Yaxi's improve its extension they still roll off too much and lack a really good presence. Midbass is REALLY nice though, more solid sounding than a TH-X00 Purpleheart (which is a subbass focused headphone...)

Run the Porta Pro with Yaxi pads and PE headband on a Garage 1217 amp and you'll probably not even think they are lacking in bass....

Examples of bass that will punch you in the face with the Porta Pro+Yaxi+PE headband combo on a Garage 1217 Project Polaris:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back