Koss Portapro Thread
Feb 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #483 of 1,309
I just got them shipped from Amazon yesterday morning. They sound really good and very comfortable. Doesn't squeeze my head hard like some previous headphones I had, only my glasses a tad but solved when I re-adjust them a bit. After a day I did have the hair tangle prob but that was only because I put it on too fast, I even found a solution somebody mentioned on a website, making some sorta cloth cover to that part of the headband, but I'll only do that if it becomes a nuisance, which currently it is not really a big deal.

When I first got it some songs sounded a bit weird but when I tried the same songs today it sounded normal, seems to get better the more I use them. I still find it weird that it folds up for storage, and almost seems like it'd break but they're surprisingly sturdy. Strangely I can't fit it in the bag provided by Koss (it looks like it could break if I shoved it in there in it's ball form), but I did have another bag with drawstring which is bigger that I now use to store it in. Anyway thanks to everyone in the forum who keep suggesting these, they worked out really well and a fine replacement for the old broken earphones I had plus light years better than the temporary replacements I had to use till it arrived.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #484 of 1,309
Yeah I am really impressed by them. They sound a bit like a crazy Sennheiser-Grado hybrid.

That's an interesting observation. I'm a longtime Grado and PortaPro listener who's about to receive his first pair of Senns, (HD600), which I'm now even more intrigued to hear. I love both the Grado SR-60s and the PortaPros, though they are of course quite different. If anything the Grados make me really appreciate the more neutral characteristics of the PortaPros.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #485 of 1,309
I got the Koss PortaPros when they were only $25 on Amazon sometime in December. This was my first time trying out an 'open or semi-open' headphone. I loved them so much when I first listened to it. I almost liked them even more than my SoundMAGIC HP100s ($200). I spent more time with them and realized the sound differences in clarity overall and preferred the HP100s naturally. When I switch from open to closed, it gives me an cringe since I favor the open sound lol. After wearing the closed headphones for like 15 minutes, I forget how closed they sound and its back to normal.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #486 of 1,309
  I got the Koss PortaPros when they were only $25 on Amazon sometime in December. This was my first time trying out an 'open or semi-open' headphone. I loved them so much when I first listened to it. I almost liked them even more than my SoundMAGIC HP100s ($200). I spent more time with them and realized the sound differences in clarity overall and preferred the HP100s naturally. When I switch from open to closed, it gives me an cringe since I favor the open sound lol. After wearing the closed headphones for like 15 minutes, I forget how closed they sound and its back to normal.

If you think they sound really open try a over ear open headphone lol. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #487 of 1,309
Yeah I really should but I have to use closed-back headphones for my situation. I'll still buy open-backed in the future though :3

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #488 of 1,309
KPP KTCs are rocking my world lately...PX100-II style sound, only brighter and more forward...The flat headband lets me wear them while riding my bike, and they are the only headphone I would do this with because there is zero isolation! And they just sound so damn good for $50...they even scale up pretty well when listening out of my microstreamer instead of a portable source (usually VooDoo'd Samsung Galaxy S Infuse).

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #489 of 1,309
Despite having Q701s & HE-400s in my arsenal - PortaPros are my most used day-to-day headphones for two simple reasons. They are most comfortable lightweight headphones I've ever worn and they have a non-intrusive laid-back sound signature that punches way beyond their price tag.

With that being said I have two questions.

What does the 75ohm impedance adapter does to these?

What would you guys recommend as an upgrade to someone interested in the PortaPro sound signature who likes EDM, IDM, Pop, Rock.

I'm thinking something from Sennheiser like HD650 but I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #490 of 1,309
..............................................................Snip........................................................................

.............................................................Snip......................................................................

Adding 75 ohms to the stock 60 ohms will make the PP more difficult to drive, but will also shift the emphasis from bass to the higher frequencies. Instrumental and vocal details will be increased while bass impact is slightly reduced resulting ln an overall more neutral SQ. Without the adapter, SQ is more "Senn-ish" while with the 75 ohm adapter, it is more "Grado-ish".

When I mod the PP, I only add a 47 ohm resistor to each driver resulting in an impedance of about 110 total ohms. This seems to be a good all-around impedance setting and will still allow the PP to be used with most cellphones without needing an external amp.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #491 of 1,309
Well, having owned the HD650 and SR80i and demoed a whole bunch more, I think the KPP is a bit of a hybrid between the two approaches, and ultimately you're going to have to pick one or the other: the Senn house sound is laid back and warm, with soft but rich bass, warm mids, and smooth, recessed treble, whereas the grado sound is up front, dynamic, and aggressive, with smaller perceived soundstage but better dynamics, tighter bass with less body, aggressive mids, and lively treble. The KPP combines these two by having a warm sound with full bass, aggressive yet warm mids, and lively (but not very well-extended) treble. Overall though I'd say the KPP is more like a Grado than a Senn on the whole.

Everyone's ears are different, though; I love the Porta Pros, and my home cans are Beyers, so *shrug*

Quote:
  Despite having Q701s & HE-400s in my arsenal - PortaPros are my most used day-to-day headphones for two simple reasons. They are most comfortable lightweight headphones I've ever worn and they have a non-intrusive laid-back sound signature that punches way beyond their price tag.

What would you guys recommend as an upgrade to someone interested in the PortaPro sound signature who likes EDM, IDM, Pop, Rock.

I'm thinking something from Sennheiser like HD650 but I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #493 of 1,309

+1

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #494 of 1,309
@Bogatyr, you might want to check out the Phillips X1.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #495 of 1,309
[/IMG]
Got the white KPP's today. Love the sound in the KPP headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back