Koss Portapro for $18 w. free global shipping?!
Jan 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Headphoneus Supremus
If these are fake, which they probably are for that price, I must say they look EXACTELY like the real ones. I'm actually thinking about buying a pair to see how they hold up against my real Porta's. Go check it out and see if you can spot the differences!

Btw, anyone ever tried the Chinese Kanen brand? I see some 'phones popping up lately that are actually cheap rebranded Kanen IEMs.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 16
PortaPros are certainly fake.

As for Kanen, I've had the Kanen MD51 (ok for $3, wouldn't pay more for them) and currently have the KM880 woodies (also ok for the $18 I paid but nothing special). Some other Kanen models such as the KM92 are known to sound pretty good for the price.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 16
Negakinu, I read a few of you posts. It's nice to find bang-for-buck earphones, however, money added up - no for long, you'll find the money you had spent can already buy you some higher quality earphones. You usually got what you paid for. Having fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickweed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, if you look closely at the pictures, they're pics of actual portas, but the KOSS logo is blurred out. check the back packaging picture.

Yeah, they could be using pictures of a real pair that someone else took. When in doubt (especially for an unusually low price), politely ask the seller for pictures that you can verify were taken by him.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Koss ain't produce old type Porta wit' L jack anymore. All old products are returned and replaced. So if you've got a pair with L jack, they could be fake. They look completely the same as Koss's old ones, even the box. But the SQ... To find authentic, search for the text "iPhone" on the box.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Negakinu, I read a few of you posts. It's nice to find bang-for-buck earphones, however, money added up - no for long, you'll find the money you had spent can already buy you some higher quality earphones. You usually got what you paid for. Having fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

You got me there! Your statement is absolutely true. 'Tis just that I always had a thing for the underdog. Paying $10 for a hidden gem gives me more satisfaction than paying $300 for an established product, if you know what I mean. It would be so boring to just buy the JH13's and call it a day. There wouldn't be anything left to strive for! I'm trying to postpone that for as long as I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 16
I thought they actually copied that as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't understand it though, why make fake Portapro's? The originals are already pretty cheap and they generally speaking aren't that popular. I mean, making fake Skullcandies or Wesc or whatever hipster-brand out there I understand.

I still wonder how they look and sound though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 16
They sound awful, terrible with tinny treble and harsh bright sound. I've got these for one of my friends of eBay. It says Koss, but a close examination reveals everything. Compared them to KSC-75s side by side. Awful sounding, believe me.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound awful, terrible with tinny treble and harsh bright sound. I've got these for one of my friends of eBay. It says Koss, but a close examination reveals everything. Compared them to KSC-75s side by side. Awful sounding, believe me.

Aww, buzzkill!
tongue.gif
I suppose when something is too good to be true... well, it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back