koss portapro & fixup adapter
May 22, 2002 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI all:
I got the fixup adapter and first tryed it on my philips 890s. The bass was much more tight and the highs had more snap to them. Then I tryed it on my mx500 and rat shack 33-1991 ear buds. They both had the same effect as the 890s. Then I put it on my koss portapros and ksc35s and has the same effect. The volume must be turned up about 3 more noches to get the same sound level but the sound is fuller and more controled bass and snaper highs. I think the better sound is because of more volume going into the cans. I used the total airhead on the earbuds and on the 35s and portapro. I used the supreme amp on the 890s. Some might say that it makes no difference but the more volume that is needed to run my portapros now have a tighter base and better highs. If this is in disagreement with anyone then I say that you are right and have no debait with you. I only know that from now on my portapros and earbuds will have the adapter plug in and am able to put more power into them with the total airhead. I am glad that I bought this thing. I look at it as a tweek for all my earbuds and koss cans.

May 22, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 10
Just out of curiousity, I tried the same thing with my PortaPros and my Pumphries-built 4S adapter cable. I used my RA-1 amp and both a Sony MDS-JA20ES and a Sony CA80ES as sources.

The short story is that I wasn't fond of using the adapter cable with the PortaPros. I thought it really muddied up the midrange. On Janis Joplin's Move Over, the instrumental part in the middle of the song just sounded weak and "mushed" together with the cable. While it's a "Must Use" with my Etys, I think I'll leave it behind when I want to enjoy the PortaPros.

May 22, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 10
OneMalt
Thank you for your response. I will re evauluate the adapter on my portapros. Thanks again

May 22, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 10
No Lou, there's no need for you to re-evaluate your original thoughts. We just have different opinions and that's OK. In fact, it's good...it keeps things interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 10
LTUCCI1924, where did you buy the adapter, and how much was it?

May 23, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 10
erikiksaz
SIR: I bought it at www.fixup.net] I got the 5" for 24.95 there is a 9" for 29.95 and it is fun to play with it on your other cans. Some sound better than others but this gives you some options that you didnot have befor. If you get one please let me know what you think about it. I would assume that a breakin might help. I am doing that now with mine but it already is fun.
PS.
I have a portable radio that is 28 m/w which is strong for a portable and my earbuds with the adapter is all I use and can I say (wow)
pps.
If I am miss leading you about this I will apolagize now but hope that you like it.

May 23, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Eek, 25 dollars. I'm relatively poor right now, maybe i'll give it some time when i've accumulated some funds
tongue.gif

May 23, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi!

I tried adding resistance to each driver (around 100 Ohms each resistor) and I noticed no significant improvement except the need for increasing volume on the MD/Receiver/Amp. Maybe a bit tighter bass, but it is still MAYBE tighter for me.
confused.gif

On the other side, it reduced volume on my Sony MD player, so I couldn't it use more in the train/bus because of the reduced volume it produced.

LTUCCI1924: Hi!
Anyway, thank for the info and enjoy!
If you feel it's improvement, that's all that matters!!!
I decide mainly on my feelings in final stages of comparing equipment.

Your
Moonwalker

May 23, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Moonwalker
Am I to asume that you only used your mini disc. If that is the case you cant get much sound out of it. My mini disc is only 5 m/w and I need a amp with the adapter to get the more power needed with the adapter. What headphoned did you use? What is the ohmage that the headphones have that plus 80.6 is the new amound of resisentance you now have and need more power to bring up the sound. I think that my total airhead puts out 300 m/w per channel and with the adapter the volume is at around 3/4 maby a little less. The mini disc dont have much power to start with and a portable amp is for me a must even with out the adapter to get a decent volume for me. Please tell me that you have no amp and then I understand. To play with the adapter an portable amp is a must or better. Ok I see you used your receiver amp. How did you get it to play your mini disc. I think if you just used your receiver and headphones and resisters that that might work from your jack out for the fm or cd player but not for the mini disc. Maby the reciever is not a strong jack out. My receiver is 500 watts and has a strong jack out but there is nothing like a deadacaded headphone amp.

May 23, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi Moonwalker;

By adding resistance to the phone you're basically changing the output impedance of the amp. Receiver phone jacks are usually speaker output with a 200 to 300 ohm resistor, so adding 100 ohm might not change too much.

However, MD player will make a difference, but because of low power of MD player 100 ohm might be too much.

Check out Meier Audio's headphone trick page. Jan has a very detail description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back