Koss porta pro opinons?
Feb 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Porta Pro is really small.. retro look thats been retained since 1984, i dont like their metal feel and smell, have doubts if they dont rust... catches on my hair bit too many times as well when i borrowed it.

They do seem to have an preference for the vocals, but also really good for Drums haha aka Rock... nice impact really impressed with it.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard they use a Grado driver and produce a similar sound? Shame about the looks

What? Where did you get that info?
The Porta's do not sound like any Grado I've heard.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Thankfully they don't sound like Grado 'phones, which I dislike. Bottom line is that I sold my Grados and still have and listen to the Porta Pros. At home only cos they're open - iems rule on the road (although I've yet to buy a set that I'm truly happy with for SQ).

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 13
What the OP is probably misinterpreting is that Grado and KSC35/75/portapro's both have the general bright sound with sparkly highs. They don't share the same drivers, as they each develop their own drivers. But I do find that my Grados do mids a bit better and KSC75's have slightly better bass.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 13
They don't sound like any grado, except for the iGrado which uses a pad that muffles the sound and takes away all the highs.

Stock portapros have bloated and boomy bass.

I did a partial kramer mod, opening up the grills. Didn't really change the sound.

The px100 in my opinion is better overall. Sound, looks, fit and convenience.

As for the ksc75, they sound better than the portapro. More of a balanced sound (less bass even with a tight fit on a headband) and a less congested sound.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame about the looks

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 80s called, they want their fuglyphones back!!

Aww..so little love... I love that retro 80's look that they retained!

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... catches on my hair bit too many times as well when i borrowed it.

i had the same experience, but i like them. I wouldn't necessarily choose them over the PX100 or iGrado's though

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 13
While my new portable setup (lossless + Nuforce Ne-7m) bests my home setup (lossless + portapro) I will say that after using the 'pro for years, I love the sound.
They sound better than the modded ksc-75 the my ears.
I really don't get it when people call these phones bassy. I find them balanced, non-fatiguing, but with little overall clarity.
Nice for the price though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back