Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Oct 11, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,321 of 1,437
For people who's asking about the Yaxi for Porta Pro pads.... comparing to stock pads, they are definitely a much better upgrade but if I'm correct, the underlying question isn't for comparision with stock but with the Sennheiser HD 414 yellow foam pads.
Bare in mind that nowadays, Companies offer freebies for promotional feedbacks and who'd give a bad review and risk throttling the freebies stream ?
Yes you've guessed it, most of the hype is FAKE, hum-partial reviews.

Purchased Porta Pro Yaxi pads, here is my impartial comparison to the Sennheiser HD 414 pads. Note that Sennheiser will not be giving away any free accessories for the defunct HD 414 headphones.

As they say, an image is worth a thousand words...
Yellow is bigger, fitting more over the ear and marginally softer therefore more comfortable.
Yellow have smaller inner opening diameter, fits the driver more snuggly. Over time these foam pads will expand to a small degree so the Yaxi may become loose in due course.
Manufacturing quality, the purple Yaxi are crap, both purple pads had some type of residue similar to glue on the interior.
HD 414 is Made in Germany, Yaxi pads doesn't state country of manufacture so I assume they are now Made in China as per the usual, otherwise no doubt they would have declared it Made in Japan.
Here's the more important point, scroll to enlage the image and you'll notice the holes in the Yaxi foam is smaller/denser. Important becuase the Yaxi pads actually muffles the sound more than the HD 414, where the Sennheiser pads calms the sharper highs without muffling.
Yaxi pads cost nearly twice the price of the HD 414, simply too avaricious as a Company....buy two sets and it's the cost of the headphones.

Yaxi Porta Pro pads are dimensionally more in ratio to the headband, P.Ex or whatnot, whereas the HD 414 seem to stick out due to its size and yellow colour, that's if you don't like the yellow.
Yaxi pads are more rounded on the edges, aesthetically more pleasing.

Judge for yourselves which you'll choose, comfort & musical plus Made in Germany quality versus vanity aesthetic prettiness.

Buy the Sennheiser HD 414 and don't believe in the Yaxi hype......
I see you modded your onto a Senn PX headband. Mind sharing some details on how you did that? I've got a spare kicking around. I bought a broken PX200 specifically for this purpose.

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,322 of 1,437
I see you modded your onto a Senn PX headband. Mind sharing some details on how you did that? I've got a spare kicking around. I bought a broken PX200 specifically for this purpose.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kos...-hidden-gem-hype.638757/page-80#post-15280334

I've just ordered two Parts Express headbands yesterday, will use colour heatshrink to wrap it....not that the Sennheiser PX100 band is not good, I become restless and have a few KSC75s in the drawer.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,323 of 1,437
For people who's asking about the Yaxi for Porta Pro pads.... comparing to stock pads, they are definitely a much better upgrade but if I'm correct, the underlying question isn't for comparision with stock but with the Sennheiser HD 414 yellow foam pads.
Bare in mind that nowadays, Companies offer freebies for promotional feedbacks and who'd give a bad review and risk throttling the freebies stream ?
Yes you've guessed it, most of the hype is FAKE, hum-partial reviews.

Purchased Porta Pro Yaxi pads, here is my impartial comparison to the Sennheiser HD 414 pads. Note that Sennheiser will not be giving away any free accessories for the defunct HD 414 headphones.

As they say, an image is worth a thousand words...
Yellow is bigger, fitting more over the ear and marginally softer therefore more comfortable.
Yellow have smaller inner opening diameter, fits the driver more snuggly. Over time these foam pads will expand to a small degree so the Yaxi may become loose in due course.
Manufacturing quality, the purple Yaxi are crap, both purple pads had some type of residue similar to glue on the interior.
HD 414 is Made in Germany, Yaxi pads doesn't state country of manufacture so I assume they are now Made in China as per the usual, otherwise no doubt they would have declared it Made in Japan.
Here's the more important point, scroll to enlage the image and you'll notice the holes in the Yaxi foam is smaller/denser. Important becuase the Yaxi pads actually muffles the sound more than the HD 414, where the Sennheiser pads calms the sharper highs without muffling.
Yaxi pads cost nearly twice the price of the HD 414, simply too avaricious as a Company....buy two sets and it's the cost of the headphones.

Yaxi Porta Pro pads are dimensionally more in ratio to the headband, P.Ex or whatnot, whereas the HD 414 seem to stick out due to its size and yellow colour, that's if you don't like the yellow.
Yaxi pads are more rounded on the edges, aesthetically more pleasing.

Judge for yourselves which you'll choose, comfort & musical plus Made in Germany quality versus vanity aesthetic prettiness.

Buy the Sennheiser HD 414 and don't believe in the Yaxi hype......
What headphones are you showing? The band looks like a Sennheiser PX-100.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #1,325 of 1,437
Calling all Koss-heads!

The Koss KPH40 is out and includes what looks like the KSC35 / SportaPro / PortaPro driver with the Retrospekt headband. The new gimmick here is a detachable cable that you can switch out for a 3.5mm, USB-C or Lightning cable. 3.5mm is included. The USB-C and Lightning cables cost extra.

Koss-KPH40-Utility_Hero_2048x.jpg

Koss-Utility-Series-KPH40_92512d6c-a176-4450-8ac0-d7099eaf97c2_2048x2048.png

Currently sold out on the Koss website. Amazon might have some stock.

I really just want the Retrospekt headband, but will probably see if they have a deal on Cyber Monday.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #1,326 of 1,437
Calling all Koss-heads!

The Koss KPH40 is out and includes what looks like the KSC35 / SportaPro / PortaPro driver with the Retrospekt headband. The new gimmick here is a detachable cable that you can switch out for a 3.5mm, USB-C or Lightning cable. 3.5mm is included. The USB-C and Lightning cables cost extra.

Koss-KPH40-Utility_Hero_2048x.jpg

Koss-Utility-Series-KPH40_92512d6c-a176-4450-8ac0-d7099eaf97c2_2048x2048.png

Currently sold out on the Koss website. Amazon might have some stock.

I really just want the Retrospekt headband, but will probably see if they have a deal on Cyber Monday.
I want. As soon as possible. Thanks

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,327 of 1,437
Ok guys, I'm a huge Koss 60ohm driver nut. I currently have:

1 KPH40
1 PortaPro Black Edition modded with MMCX connector
1 KSC35 modded with MMCX connector

I've had: a million KSC75s, 1 KSC75X, a thousand KSC35s, a thousand SportaPros, 1 PortaPro wireless, 1 KSC35 Wireless, and more (like a UR40 which I believe has the same titanium drivers as the KSC75).

Where's the KPH30i? Well, i had no interest in it, as I like to use all my drivers with the KSC75 clips (including the KSC35 which has its own clips, lol). You can't do that with the 30i, so boo, no reason to get them.

I've been using the KPH40 attached to KSC75 clips for a fair comparison with the others.

So far, my findings are, the KPH40 has a new back cover that looks similar but not the same as the drivers on the Sporta/Porta/35/30i (Internal housing). This may be an indicator that it's using an updated driver, whereas ALL the others share the same driver with different headbands/clips, but all sounded the same if put in the same headband/clip type.

The KPH40 sounds different than my two current Porta/35 drivers.

Trying to compare the KPH40 on KSC75 clips, with KSC35/PortaPro on KSC75 clips... I CAN hear a difference. The KPH40 drivers seem to split the difference between the brighter/dryer sound of the KSC75, and the bassier, smoother, darker sound of the PortaPro/KSC35. Interesting. So may Koss decided to finally do SOMETHING new with the 60ohm drivers. Not sure I'd personally take them over the Porta drivers (as I like a fuller, darker sound), but they're definitely a more neutral sound, if slightly so. I'm sure most would argue it's a better tonal balance, which I won't argue if you don't like it as dark as Porta/35s.

I'd say it def falls outside of driver variation, as my Porta and 35 sound identical, and these just don't sound like those. That is...unless Koss has recently updated all of them to these new drivers. Who knows...

16377021674178338085041265679912.jpg

KPH40 currently on the bottom left with KSC75X clips.

Before anyone asks, yes I've had Yaxi pads, and no I didn't like them. They mess with the sound too much, and I'm fine with the stock pads.

Question: Anyone know where to source more KSC75 clips alone? I've seen Ali and Ebay sell some weird clips that seem to have the weird KSC35 hard edges where it rests on the ear. I want clips with the wire inside. Ideally Drop would just sell the black variants.... ah well.

Back in the day when HFM/Yuin had their own clips was nice too. Man, those were good.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,328 of 1,437
Where's the KPH30i? Well, i had no interest in it, as I like to use all my drivers with the KSC75 clips (including the KSC35 which has its own clips, lol). You can't do that with the 30i, so boo, no reason to get them.
<snip>
Trying to compare the KPH40 on KSC75 clips, with KSC35/PortaPro on KSC75 clips... I CAN hear a difference. The KPH40 drivers seem to split the difference between the brighter/dryer sound of the KSC75, and the bassier, smoother, darker sound of the PortaPro/KSC35. Interesting. So may Koss decided to finally do SOMETHING new with the 60ohm drivers. Not sure I'd personally take them over the Porta drivers (as I like a fuller, darker sound), but they're definitely a more neutral sound, if slightly so. I'm sure most would argue it's a better tonal balance, which I won't argue if you don't like it as dark as Porta/35s.

Interesting indeed! My favorites are "sportapro drivers on PE headband" and kph30i's (partly due to aesthetics). I know you don't have the kph30i, but I am wondering if the kph30i and the kph40 have the same drivers. Regardless, based on your description of the kph40's sound, and how much I like the way they look, I'll be getting a pair one of these days.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,329 of 1,437
<snip>

Interesting indeed! My favorites are "sportapro drivers on PE headband" and kph30i's (partly due to aesthetics). I know you don't have the kph30i, but I am wondering if the kph30i and the kph40 have the same drivers. Regardless, based on your description of the kph40's sound, and how much I like the way they look, I'll be getting a pair one of these days.
Doubtful, the KPH30i opened up, the back inner shell looks the same as the PortaPro/Sportapro/KSC35 shell, not the KPH40 shell, which is SLIGHTLY different. The 30i sounds different from the others likely because of what it's mounted to, the foam, and the fact the back cup may introduce different reflections from the lack of any additional coverings on the others. But I haven't heard the 30i, so I'm just making a logical assumption based on specs and what the innards look like.

I'm sure most will agree the KPH40 sounds different from the other 60ohm drivers, titanium coated or not. Might be a newly tuned driver, though it still very much sounds like Koss.

KPH30i inner shell...

koss.jpg

Look familiar?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,330 of 1,437
Uh oh, looking at the new Porta Pro utility... the housing looks like the KPH40 housing... so Koss may:

1. Be differentiating the Utility line from the others, with a different back housing
2. Update ALL the Porta/Sporta/35 covers to new KPH40 style covers
3. All are getting retuned drivers?

The only way to confirm is for someone to have the KPH40 and PortaPro utility to verify the driver sound on the same headband or clips.

20211123_184205.jpg

Notice how the KPH40 cover on the right has changed

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,331 of 1,437
Doubtful, the KPH30i opened up, the back inner shell looks the same as the PortaPro/Sportapro/KSC35 shell, not the KPH40 shell, which is SLIGHTLY different. The 30i sounds different from the others likely because of what it's mounted to, the foam, and the fact the back cup may introduce different reflections from the lack of any additional coverings on the others. But I haven't heard the 30i, so I'm just making a logical assumption based on specs and what the innards look like.

I'm sure most will agree the KPH40 sounds different from the other 60ohm drivers, titanium coated or not. Might be a newly tuned driver, though it still very much sounds like Koss.

KPH30i inner shell...

koss.jpg

Look familiar?

Good to know! Thanks for the pics as well.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,332 of 1,437
My issue is that it looks like the PortaPro utility is also using the new back cover, so all that I've said may be for naught and Koss has caused everything to be second guessed again.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,333 of 1,437
20211125_193716.jpg
20211125_193624.jpg

The Devil makes work for idle hands...

Inspired by this YT review...

4 pairs of Yaxi pads sacrificed

I'll cut to the chase (punintended) - the sweet spot is to cut a 2.3cm diameter hole in the centre of the Yaxi pads. No bigger no smaller.... bigger causes the pads to slip off while walking, smaller doesn't deliver the sound alterations

Do that and you'll get similar bass boost and punch to the VE pads. Slightly more space and air in the sound from the driver being held further away from the ears by the thicker Yaxis. The VE sound is slightly warmer overall and fuller (possibly even congested) through the kids but I'm splitting hairs.

The Yaxis look better... much better!

I'm at the point on doing this to all my Yaxis... on my ksc75 (porta pro headband version), my kph40 and porta pro utility.

These are the pads yaxi should make. And if you feel the need to cover the driver from dust, some sheer curtain fabric cut to size and attached (underneath the Yaxis of course) with double sided sticky tape will do the trick and not impact the sound.

UPDATE: The VE bass is still noticeably punchier than the Yaxi-with-hole sound. The VE pads generate the best sound i've heard from the Ksc75, but they are so flimsy and ugly. The Yaxi with hole is an improvement over standard Yaxis and definitely the way forward for me. The looks and fit of the Yaxi win out for me. With the hole the compromise on sound is acceptable.

BUT... the best combination seems to be, Yaxi with hole on Ksc75 attached to the porta pro headband. That little bit of extra pressure from the headband picks up the bass to match the sound of VE Pads.

This is what I used to cut the holes for anyone interested - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BZB7...abc_DAGBBRZVYNN4QNZWF4H4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #1,334 of 1,437
Just a friendly reminder that Koss.com has a Cyber Monday sale. Add code CYBER30 to get 30% off most headphones. So those looking at getting any of the Koss 60ohm driver cans should definitely grab something.

However, this deal is really only good for those living in the US because of the free shipping. (Last year, Koss still shipped to Canada for free, but not this time around :frowning2: )

Was going to get the UR40 or GMR Airs since the KPH40 and Retrospekt P/21s are both sold out.

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,335 of 1,437
After 5 years of more music listening than I have ever listened in my 43 years of living and a few well regarded iems, headphones and speakers later, plus lots of experience of listening to HiFi and HiEnd systems, plus countless hours of reading and watching hundreds of other opinions on the matter, I have come to a point we're I can say I enjoy music through my phone, BTR5 and KSC75s on a headband more than anything else and they rarely leave my head nowadays. Not saying they sound better than anything else. Just that I enjoy them more than anything and will sell most of the rest soon. 🍻 Long live Koss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back