koss ksc75 w/o pad...wow
May 25, 2005 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

prona

100+ Head-Fier
I've just received my pair of ksc75's today and so far, I am extremely impressed with the SQ given its cheap cheap price! I got it from PROVANTAGE.com for $14 shipped.

I've heard about the quarter-sized hole mod for the pads, but I figured I'd take off the pads completely and see how they sound. WOW! More detailed highs and mids and tighter bass! I LIKE IT! Have any of you guys tried it? And also, how vulnerable are the drivers w/o the pads? Should I perhaps just go with the quarter-sized hole mod?

tongue.gif

edit:

provantage.com oops!
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by prona
I've just received my pair of ksc75's today and so far, I am extremely impressed with the SQ given its cheap cheap price! I got it from PROADVANTAGE.com for $14 shipped.

I've heard about the quarter-sized hole mod for the pads, but I figured I'd take off the pads completely and see how they sound. WOW! More detailed highs and mids and tighter bass! I LIKE IT! Have any of you guys tried it? And also, how vulnerable are the drivers w/o the pads? Should I perhaps just go with the quarter-sized hole mod?

tongue.gif

So I assume they are higher quality than the ksc35s? Damn, I need a pair!

And just go for the quarter mod, if but for comfort sake

edit: Where did you buy those? Proadvantage.com is a financial site

edit: It's provantage.com silly

May 25, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fappar
So I assume they are higher quality than the ksc35s? Damn, I need a pair!

The KSC-35's benefit even more from the pad-hole-mod. Removing the pad entirely results in too much brightness for my taste and recesses the bass more than I like.

I've actually been listening to both the 35's and the 75's with different sized holes in the pads, ranging from 1 to 3.5 cm. For me, the best sound of any combination is the 35 with a 1 cm hole dead-center. 1 cm is also the exact diameter of the center depression in the driver shield along with the three oval-shaped holes that surround it.

For what it's worth, I feel that as far as sound quality is concerned, the 35 without the hole still outperforms the 75.

May 25, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 10
Well, I don't think it's too bright, especially compared to my 280's. I also don't think the bass is recessed much at all. Actually, I'm hearing an increase in bass (and quality). I dunno, maybe I'm just weird?

May 25, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 10
I dont have so much experience in this so my questions my sound silly
i still hope someone can answer:

1. how do you take off the pad on ksc-75 and Ksc-35 ?

2. What is the quarter-sized hole mod, is that something
with different size you can change on the headphone
and quarter size is the middle size of those , does that comes with the headphone?

3. How do you get different sized holes in the pads
again are this things that comes with the headphones you just can change
easy?

4. How do i get the Ksc-35 without the hole ?

I hope to get some easy explaination since i have few experiencie
with what said here but i want the ksc-35 i will order to sound great.

May 25, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 10
1. The pad just comes off, very simple.
2. You have to make the hole yourself, and you can make it any size you like.
3. You can make different sized holes using a variety of methods. I always draw a template first to make sure I make the hole in the exact center. A socket set provides a variety of sizes to choose from; you just take the socket of the desired diameter, place it on the pad over a hard surface, and whack it a couple of times with a hammer. If the rim of the socket isn't sufficiently thin/sharp to create a hole, you can clamp a dime, nickel, quarter, etc. to the center of the pad and trace around the perimeter with an exacto or razor.
4. The pads don't come with the hole, you make the hole yourself.

If you're hesitant to punch a hole in your precious pads, get a cheap pair from Ratshack and experiment on them.

May 25, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Yes, they sound very nice w/ the pads on also. I'm thinking about making a dime sized hole in the center and letting out a little more detail.

May 25, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnarok999
I dont have so much experience in this so my questions my sound silly
i still hope someone can answer:

1. how do you take off the pad on ksc-75 and Ksc-35 ?

2. What is the quarter-sized hole mod, is that something
with different size you can change on the headphone
and quarter size is the middle size of those , does that comes with the headphone?

3. How do you get different sized holes in the pads
again are this things that comes with the headphones you just can change
easy?

4. How do i get the Ksc-35 without the hole ?

I hope to get some easy explaination since i have few experiencie
with what said here but i want the ksc-35 i will order to sound great.

When you take the pad off the KSC-35, make sure you dont just pull it off, it has these little point things sticking into the pad so they cant fall off. You have to pull up off the point, then out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back