Koss KSC75 vs PX 100 vs AKG K81DJ
Nov 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

megid

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so hi!
beerchug.gif

Anyways, on with the show. I have been looking to buy some new headphones for a while now and I have been doing some research and came down to these so far. The parameters I've been using are as follows:

-Need something durable and portable
-Can't be too expensive (<$100)
-Sounds great (of course)

Here are some of my tastes:

-Techno (Tiesto, Prodigy...)
-Rock & Roll/Blues (SRV, Glenn Schwartz...)
-Jazz (Miles, Rienhardt, Joe Pass, Dave Brubeck...)
-Ska (Tokyo Ska Paradise...)
-Classical (Pachebel, Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi...)
-Talk (RMG!!!)
-And I play a lot of videogames (Mainly computer games)

I like something with a good amount of bass, but not too killer. The highs need to stand out, but not too sharp. Something that can be worn for a couple hours at a time at most. Please, no IEMs... I've had bad experiences with those. I really want something very portable though. Feel free to give any other suggestions. They don't have to be closed ear (obviously, since I'm listing the PX100s), but something that doesn't leak too much sound would be great. Thanks for all the help!

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 16
The KSC75s are a tad bright, so sibilance is sometimes a problem with these. They ease up with some burn in, though. That said, I'm not committed to saying whether it's the drivers or your ears or both that burn in.

The PX100s should be OK, but they didn't seem all that sturdy at the store where I tried them out. And finally, I don't know much about the AKGs, though they're prolly the least likely to have harsh high issue. Plus, they isolate.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 16
The KSC 75 would be good for the rock and ska, but as mentioned, the sibilance at the high end of the audible spectrum may turn you off on them when listening to Classical Music.

The PX100 on the other hand, will work pretty much just as well for Rock and Ska and will work better with its SS on Classical and Jazz when compared to the KSC 75.

I can't say with the AKG K81 as I have yet to actually try a pair.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the quick responses guys...

The PX 100 seem like the best candidate right now... I was thinking about getting it's brother, the PX 200 for a while till I came to this forum and read so many negative things about them (Amazon.com reviews seemed fine!). I guess you just gotta ask an audiophile!

I guess I can toss the KSC75s out of the window right now. I would really like some more suggestions on closed headphones, but I know there aren't many good ones for cheap. Does the PX 100 really leak out that much though? I would most likely use them at work, where I sit with one other person that walks in and out regularly. I wouldn't want to bother them with my music either.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 16
I have both the px100 and ksc75 and I would definitely go with the px100. Both headphones will leak out quite a bit as they are open and not closed. But, you can also hear outside noises better, which may be something you need at work.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 16
Out of the three, the K81DJ is the one I use (and have been using since its intro a few years ago) - the key is to replace the sealed pads, which make it way too bassy, and get the velour HD25 pads for them instead. Comfortable, still good isolation, but let some of that bass escape for a nice balance on the go. I currently use them for monitoring when recording as well, they are a less clunky alternative to my other monster-big cans (DT770, Grados).

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Yeah, I heard about some of the alterations you can make on the K81s to make them less bassy. I think I might go with that, unless someone can suggest something else.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 16
I really think I'm going to go for the AKGs with the HD25 velour pads. I was reading a bit about the blue-tak mod; would anyone recommend it? I read that it takes away from the depth of the bass.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 16
RadioShack has the Koss KSC75's on clearance for only $5.47usd.
For that price you can buy a few and even modify a pair.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 16
Nan, now you're getting me interested into getting those as well and modding them! I saw some really cool mods and I'm already starting to feel the need for more headphones; and I haven't even bought any yet!

By the way Drag0n, where did you find those KSCs on clearance? I went to the radioshack website and couldn't find them.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by megid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nan, now you're getting me interested into getting those as well and modding them! I saw some really cool mods and I'm already starting to feel the need for more headphones; and I haven't even bought any yet!

By the way Drag0n, where did you find those KSCs on clearance? I went to the radioshack website and couldn't find them.

You need to check at your local RS stores. If you're in the US that is.

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 16
I've owned both the ksc75s and the px100s, and have recently had a long listening session with the k81djs for the first time.

I was pleasantly surprised with the 81djs. I didn't expect such good closed headphones at such a low price. Bassy, sure, and not very clear, but if I were to buy closed headphones for cheap these would be the ones.

Depends what you need really. I like the bright sound of the koss the most but i don't like clips. Px100 is very musical and EXTREMELY comfortable.

Hmm. Pure comfort and versatility, I'd go with the senns. The akgs are great, but clamp like a mother. sweaty too.

I'd go for the px100, and why not pick up the koss for cheap if you see it as well? Around 10$ is great value for money. you can get both for the price of the akg.

ONLY get the akg if you need isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back