Koss KSC75 transplant mod
Mar 28, 2006 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

skev13

500+ Head-Fier
I never really liked the feel of the clipons, and I recently got IEM's for my portable, so I figured, why not get some slightly portable headphones for my laptop?

Enter the AudioTechnica FX55's.

10rg.jpg

21tf.jpg

I got these from someone who claimed the left side of the headphone would work sometimes due to a bad connection in the wires. No problem, they sounded like crap anyway.

30hn.jpg

I have to give it to AudioTechnica though, not only did they place two little screws that do absolutely nothing under the fake pleather pads, but they also hyper super ultra glued the damn thing together!!! Ah well, Koss' sound better open than in closed right?

48sw.jpg

The Koss drivers didn't fit into the audiotechnicas, but oh well a little modding would solve the trick.

57gg.jpg

However, by removing the outer rim of the driver, the grill has no place to attach itself now.

69uu.jpg

Clamping them together, I coated the outer ring with epoxy, holding the grill in place with the driver.

81ah.jpg

To solve the gaping hole in the AudioTechnicas, I scrounged up some window meshing. Should look a little like that after its epoxied in place.

More to come, probably by the end of the week, as its a busy week at school. =/

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 26
wow that's shaping up to look really cool! go for it!

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 26
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

nice job.

I trimmed the plastic around a UR40 driver and it did something to the driver... bottomed it out so the driver "sank"... wierd.

arent dremels fun? Let us know how they turn out!!

Garrett

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 26
Working on the other earpiece

99tb1.jpg

Working on one of the 2.5mm connectors

101en.jpg

Grille test fit

119gc.jpg

Right now, I'm just waiting for some expandable sleeving and heatshrink to arrive. I also need a power drill (being away at university limits my accessability to tools). Expect an update before Sunday for sure.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Lookin pretty good, the best thing is you can wear them anywhere, because no one can see them!

HAH! "His ears are invisible!"

Honestly though, how close is the driver to your ear? KSC quality seemed to vary for me wildly depending on driver distance...

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
HAH! "His ears are invisible!"

Honestly though, how close is the driver to your ear? KSC quality seemed to vary for me wildly depending on driver distance...

They basically sit right on your ear, so hopefully there wont be a big difference between the clip ons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back