Koss KSC75 repair help
Jul 11, 2011 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

painterstape

New Head-Fier
its nice to see that a lot of other people have attempted to repair their KSC75's on their own as i was searching through the forums, so i tried it on my own set.
it didn't work very well.
the problem with my set was that a wire leading to one of the speakers was loose and starting to break and the speaker was going silent.
found the breakage which was very close to the speaker, so i took of the cover and saw that there were 2 wires, a red insulated one and an uninsulated one, both soldered to the panel/connector (not sure what those are called).
the uninsulated one was beginning to break, so i unsoldered both wires out, shortened the length of both wires to pull out some more wire and tried to solder them back to the speaker's panels/connectors.
no sound came out.
so have i just went and made my KSC75 play from the Left speaker only?
i tried connecting those wires from the silent Right speaker to an old speaker from a stereo system, but it produced no sound either.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 16
You suck at soldering

Really, you screwed up somewhere when you were soldering.

Also, they are portable headphones, that's another forum.

Just get new ones, save the drivers and keep for a driver replant later on.

Also, USE DESOLDERING BRAID

People make that mistake all the tiem.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 16
Maybe you sent the drivers to heaven while soldering/desoldering.

Check if there are any breaks in the cable with a multimeter, if it all checks out fine, double check your soldering.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Maybe you sent the drivers to heaven while soldering/desoldering.

Check if there are any breaks in the cable with a multimeter, if it all checks out fine, double check your soldering.

Probably burned them trying to boil the solder or too much solder everywhere.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 16
thanks for the replies.

yeah i think i just went and killed that speaker, tried playing around with an audio out cable and its wires on the dead speaker and no sound would come out.

as for testing around with the multimeter, i set it on the alarm setting (sorry, not entirely sure how to use the thing, been years since high school classes) and it would go off when i set both prods on either panel at a time, but not when i put one prod on each panel, though i still think i killed the speaker. and yes i did clean off all the solder before testing.

also sorry if i made this thread in the wrong section. most of the search results had similar threads that started in this section so i thought it would be the right one.

and as you can tell, i'm not a huge audiophile, but these clips were pretty **** awesome and fairly expensive from where i am (Ontario, Canada) so it's not very easy to get a cheap pair.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 16
I can't imagine you'd accidentally create a solder bridge with those. I took my drivers out of my KSC-50's, same drivers, the contacts are really quite separated.

A more likely explanation is that you soldered too long, burning the fragile voice coil wire or otherwise damaging it in a way that makes it no longer work...or the heat from soldering somehow separated it from the diaphragm and it's attached to the magnet now. I would not use desoldering braid with drivers myself. You should only heat them the few seconds necessary to liquefy the solder, then immediately remove the wire and the heat source. You can always clean it up later, again, only heating it for a few seconds at a time so as to avoid burning them like BotByte said. I used a desoldering pump to grab the bead on mine the second it formed and then ripped the wire off and removed the heat.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 16

Why not just have them replaced for free, under the lifetime warranty?

Quote:
its nice to see that a lot of other people have attempted to repair their KSC75's on their own as i was searching through the forums, so i tried it on my own set.
it didn't work very well.
the problem with my set was that a wire leading to one of the speakers was loose and starting to break and the speaker was going silent.
found the breakage which was very close to the speaker, so i took of the cover and saw that there were 2 wires, a red insulated one and an uninsulated one, both soldered to the panel/connector (not sure what those are called).
the uninsulated one was beginning to break, so i unsoldered both wires out, shortened the length of both wires to pull out some more wire and tried to solder them back to the speaker's panels/connectors.
no sound came out.
so have i just went and made my KSC75 play from the Left speaker only?
i tried connecting those wires from the silent Right speaker to an old speaker from a stereo system, but it produced no sound either.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 16
well solder isn't connecting the 2 panels (they're called drivers?).
here's a picture of the horrible soldering job i did, probably should've picked up a soldering iron from a dollar store...
keep in mind that the photo makes it look very bad, its **** hard trying to focus on such a tiny section.
as for replacing it through warranty...do they still accept it after DIY failures?

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
well solder isn't connecting the 2 panels (they're called drivers?).
here's a picture of the horrible soldering job i did, probably should've picked up a soldering iron from a dollar store...
keep in mind that the photo makes it look very bad, its **** hard trying to focus on such a tiny section.
as for replacing it through warranty...do they still accept it after DIY failures?

-_- You cut off the voice coil leads. Messy solder jobs usually will screw the driver up. 

What did you use to solder then? A torch? 

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 16
Hmmmm "No questions asked" 
I guess there is only one way to find out!

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 16
was a 100w solder which didn't exactly have a precision pointed tip...which i regret using, though it was the only thing i had lying around at the time.
didn't cut anything off, just removed the fraying wires through unsoldering.
looks like i'll be trying out that lifetime warranty in a bit.

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Hmmmm "No questions asked" 
I guess there is only one way to find out!

lol....exactly.  You'll have to let your own ethics guide you, but I've heard some pretty crazy stories out there.  I have to assume that at this point Koss has factored in an "insurance charge" into the sales price of each set of headphones to cover this stuff.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 16
  Koss life-time no questions asked warranty. Use it.

Koss charges $9 per headphone set repaired for "shipping and handling." Also, you will spend about $4-5 to send the headphones to Koss in the first place.

Currently, Amazon offers new sets for $14.88 with free shipping. A few months ago, I bought some from Amazon for $9.99 with free shipping. The price does fluctuate, but $15 seems to be the upper limit of the range at Amazon.

For an inexpensive headphone like the KSC75, "shipping and handling" fees make the Koss lifetime warranty useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back