koss ksc-35
Jun 30, 2002 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
I have tried many different headphones or earcannel phones. The sony ex70lp are way to muddie and bad trible and bad mid. The etys er6 are a joke and for the mony a big joke. The awia hp-vx100 are ok but still a little bass heavey and mids could be better. The sennheiser mx500 with slicsound are the most accurate and better sounding than the other stuff but still not there for sound stage and long listening plasure. I have found that the very best portable listening for a good sound stage and long listening plasure with a sense of big sound to be the koss ksc 35. I didnot mention the ety er4p because of the high price. The koss 35 cost 35.00 and I got mine at circuit city with gold connector for 15.00. I can get a very large and acurate sound that is very pleasureable and can listen for hours with them. When I use my total airhead with them they sound even better and are very portable and very cheep coasting. I bought replacement pads at radio shack and these pads are very good for the 35s. So to summ up I think that the koss 35s are for me the best portable cans for a portable device especially when used with the total airhead amp. I mean no afense to anyone who might like one of the other cans mentioned. This is just my opinion.

Jun 30, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 22
The KSC-35 is indeed one of the favourites here for portable listening. I used to own the KSC-50 which is similar but not as comfy and good sounding, which is why I ended up selling them. They're quite hard to find here in Canada unfortunately (just like everything else).
mad.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 22
Yo LT (for those of you who don't speak Philadelphian that means "hello"). I also love the KSC 35 sound, but I just could never get the hang of putting them on--it takes several minutes of pulling my ears throught the clips. Someone told me :"above & behind, & rotate" but to no avail. Is there some secret to it? I became so frustrated I gave them to my daughter & bought portapros for portable, but I'll confiscate them back if I can learn to put them on without a huge hassle every time!

Jun 30, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 22
Gus B
yo Where in phila do you live? I live in south phila. A lot of members had some trouble putting on the 35s at first but after a little time it was easy for them to put on. You sort of tread them from the top of the ear. I just put them on with no problem in 2 seconds. I also have the portapros but find that the 35s are so small and portable and after a while you dont even know they are there. Also the bass is a lot tamer and you get a bigger sound stage with the 35s. I think that if you gave them another try for a few days this time you would not go back to the portapros and give them instead of the 35s. Good luck and welcome to head-fi

Jun 30, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 22
fiddler:

where did u get your 35's? I have thought about ordering from headroom, but with taxes, conversion, and customs i dont think it will be worth it...at least to me anyways.

I agree. I do like the koss portapro driver sound a lot. I have the 50's, which although are a terrible fit, they do sound wonderful. That said, i do not use the 50's very much because of the fit. I use my MODDED ex70's more, since they isolate some, are comfortable, and they fit correctly without falling off.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 22
jlo--I got mine from headroom--it gave me a discount on the amp I purchased ($99 instead of $119 for the airhead if you also get phones), + I like to support those guys--they provide lots of good info & great service. I think I'm developing some kind of addiction though, since in about 2 weeks time I bought 4 sets of headphones & 2 amps from them. Is there a headphone analogue of alcoholics or gamblers anonymous? LT, thx so much for the advice--I'm going to give the 35s another try. BTW, I live in Overbrook.

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 22
jlo, read my post again.
wink.gif
I said I used to have the KSC-50s, not the 35s.

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 22
SuAnnan
What do you mean by not beatiful? have you trier the 35s with a portable amp? Do you mean that the 35s are ugly? If so thats ok I just am woundering what you mean with much respect

Jul 2, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 22
Nope jlo, try reading it again.
wink.gif
It says "one of the favourites HERE" meaning here at head-fi. I only commented because I know the general sound of the S/Porta/KSC-XX series Koss phones. (I used to own the Porta Pro at one point, also.) That the KSC-35 is better sounding and more comfortable than the rest of this line of headphones is almost unanimously agreed upon by people who have compared them.

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 22
I like my Koss KSC35s. The only problem I had is that the left and right channels were crossed. The L/R channels are marked on the clips, not on the drivers so I guess someone in the factory messed up. I tried them against my Grados and ATs just to make sure.
md

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 22
Hi millerdog!

After return from the repair shop, my Portas were reversed too.
biggrin.gif

I swapped them in 5 minutes, looking not to tangle the cord.

Sometimes Koss phones must be cleared up by user to get the best from them
wink.gif

Your
Moonwalker

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 22
Yeah moonwalker, I just exchanged the clips, yet I thought it was kinda strange.
Strange that it took two months for me to notice and strange that no one else mentioned it.
By the way, to make your KSC35s last longer, I suggest using epoxy where the cords enter the drivers. I pulled the wires out of my 35s twice.
thanks,
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back