Koss KSC-35: first impression
Apr 20, 2002 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
These are just my first impressions of the koss ksc-35s. a MUCH longer review will follow, maybe in a week or two.

So, I got the headphones delivered to my friend's house(don't ask. Lets say that my parents just don't realize the value of having ksc-50s, mx500s, hd580s, etc. around the house
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I hooked them up to my minidisc player(sony e900), and immediatly started listening to linkin park. Why? People said the bass on these was incredible. They weren't lying.
eek.gif
the bass is HUGE. Bass heads, look NO more. your search is over.
rolleyes.gif

After listening all the way home(and stopping by the orthodontist's office on the way.
wink.gif
), I got the feeling, "why did I get hd580s and an amp?"

After I got home, I immediatly started listening to the cd with my 580s. I wasn't disappointed. I realized, the ksc-35s just offer too MUCH bass. The bass on the 580s is tight, neat, and controlled. The 35s just seem to chuck it at you. Also, the midrange on the koss leaves a bit to be desired.

So, are the koss ksc-35s worth every penny? HECK yes! LEAP to get them! They may be the ultimate portable phone. Personally, I'd die every time I took etys out in public(too afraid of hurting them
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I got 2 of these for $40. Well worth every penny!

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 20
Congrats on the new 'phones, andrzejpw. Your statement,
"I got the feeling, "why did I get hd580s and an amp?" rings true for me as well. Everytime I put those little buggers on, I question my purchase of all my other 'phones. To my ears, they are, by a wide margin, the best value in headphones out there. Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 20
Agreed joe-bob
wink.gif
I don't think there's a better bang-for-your-buck headphone on the market.

andrzejpw: did you have the bass boost on on your MD player? I ask because my KSC-35, driven from the same MD player (E900) doesn't have too much bass at all. I bet you have it set to Sound 1 or Sound 2?

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 20
macdef: yeah, I have it set for my custom eq settings. +2 on treble and +3 on bass, iirc. That was on the recommendation of some other sony md users(was it neruda?) so that they wouldn't sound lifeless. (or is it +3 +2?)

btw, are ksc-35s what you would call forward? If so, I think THAT's what I'm hearing as the eye-opening difference. Now I know what people say when phones are laidback
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
macdef: yeah, I have it set for my custom eq settings. +2 on treble and +3 on bass, iirc. That was on the recommendation of some other sony md users(was it neruda?) so that they wouldn't sound lifeless. (or is it +3 +2?)

OMG! No wonder they sound bassy to you!!!! ROFL!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, with +3, or even +2 bass, the KSC-35 would sound horrible. I usually listen to my E900 with treble in the middle, and bass at either flat (usually) or +1 (when I use it to exercise).

Apr 21, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 20
gah, I'm dumb! Yeah, mines the same way. +3 I think I meant from the minus sign. Btw, what IS zero on the sonys? How far from the left(with all the way left being zero)

Apr 22, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 20
Cha, #3 FOR SURE.......
rolleyes.gif

Nice review, glad to hear you're happy!

Hm, you're damn EQs make me, Mr. R700, feel bad...............GAAH...........

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 20
well 3, hehe
nah

I just got the ksc-35 and I love them too

I have to say easily the best bang for the buck, sound wise and convinence... though I do wish it were a bit sturdier... however that's just me...

I say the v6 are just as good of a bang for the buck

however... with my mt77 md player, the 5mw out pumps the ksc-35 quite well, and I don't use the bass boost and it sounds good reproducing lp2 modes....

the v6 needs more juice when playing it, and I find that the exaggerated uppermids/treble, creates alot of sibilience, which due to the lp2 compress, creates an even more unnatural harshness

the ksc-35 is nice, has good midbass, some deep bass, smooth midrange/treble and has good soundstage... I have to say, comparing it to the grado sr-80's is quite fair
I even have to say the ksc-35 is perhaps a better solutions, especially for portable usage...
I feel that grado's potentials really require an amp because they have very impactful bass and great active midrange, which is brought to life quite well using an amp
were as the ksc-35 sounds quite nice just off the portable player... and tho even macdef amps his, I find the difference minimal compared to the v6 or grado's...

and for using for active usage, nothing better... I can skateboard, bmx, rock climb, ski/snowboard, bascially any sport that I wouldn't use communication for nor swimming
can be done with the ksc-35
smily_headphones1.gif

too bad koss doesn't make them any more
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 20
With an iPod set to Flat eq, the Koss KSC-35's are the most fabulous portable headphone you could ever want. I seriously believe they put headphones costing ten times the price to shame!

Apr 23, 2002 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 20
I thought I would put in my impressions too. I have been listening to them for awhile now, and they are great. Incredible value, no prblem with fitting or comfort.

I only have two things that I think would make them a little better.
1) there are a few instances when even with no extra bass on (they certainly don't need it), the bass can overwhelm some of the mids. It was most noticeable for me yesterday on Massive Attack's "Angel". It has a repeating bass line through the entire song, and it tended to crowd the detail in the higher register.

2) they are very open. I would not compromise sound quality for more isolation, but walking on the sidewalk by a busy street it is hard to hear your music at all. However, they do not seem to leak much sound.......hmmmm. I would not recommend them for listening on the subway, etc.

However, I am scrutinizing them like a would headphones 5 times their price, so that says a lot.

Apr 23, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 20
Clubkill - I agree with both your points. The bass line on 'Angel' is a tough one even for expensive gear (I know the engineer), as is Missy Elliot's 'Get yer Freak On'! They are not that good at isolation, but as you say, we are comparing them to very expensive cans here!

Apr 23, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 20
I agree with Joe Longwood that the KSC-35 is the "best value in headphones". In fact I'll go even further, and state that they are the best value in AUDIO! Period! Disagree? Then name something that's a better value!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back