Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #256 of 354
Unrelated to clear KPH30i...

I know the Grado bowl pad mod is popular lately, so I had to try it out. My initial reaction was "it erases the mids," which does have an effect of widening the soundstage... but I don't love it. To be specific, I am testing with my beige KPH30i + Geekria Grado bowl pads + leaving on the stock KPH30i foams.

I've also recently started experimenting with in-ear microphones for making measurements. I know these won't be comparable to standardized rigs, but I figure the measurements should at least be useful for measuring the before and after effect of mods. Here's what the KPH30i + Grado bowl pad mod looks like (with my measurement of HD 600 as a baseline reference).

kph30i-pad-swap.jpg

So yeah, "erases the midrange," or more specifically vocals. It's interesting that some people seem to be removing or cutting the stock foam pads to allow in more treble, but based on my listening (and these measurements) I don't think that's helpful. Unless removing that foam allows more 2-4k.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #257 of 354

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #258 of 354
If you watch the zreview posted a while back, he also tried leaving the stock pads on and didn't like it. He then removed them and loved the result. You should try that.

Yeah he said it increased the treble, which I don't want more of. If it was non-destructive, I'd just try it, but removing the stock pads on KPH30i without destroying them is not easy.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #259 of 354

I know the Grado bowl pad mod is popular lately, so I had to try it out. My initial reaction was "it erases the mids," which does have an effect of widening the soundstage... but I don't love it. To be specific, I am testing with my beige KPH30i + Geekria Grado bowl pads + leaving on the stock KPH30i foams.

I've also recently started experimenting with in-ear microphones for making measurements. I know these won't be comparable to standardized rigs, but I figure the measurements should at least be useful for measuring the before and after effect of mods. Here's what the KPH30i + Grado bowl pad mod looks like (with my measurement of HD 600 as a baseline reference).

So yeah, "erases the midrange," or more specifically vocals. It's interesting that some people seem to be removing or cutting the stock foam pads to allow in more treble, but based on my listening (and these measurements) I don't think that's helpful. Unless removing that foam allows more 2-4k.

If you watch the zreview posted a while back, he also tried leaving the stock pads on and didn't like it. He then removed them and loved the result. You should try that.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #260 of 354
I bought a set of those $10 grado bowl pads. Using them with or without the stock pads the sound was waaay too bright. Still loving the yaxi or stock pads.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #261 of 354
Is there a different kind of adapter needed to connect a 4-pole 3.5mm (the KPH30i uses) to a 1/4' amp? It sounds extremely muffled when using a standard adapter, but sounds normal on a phone 3.5 or even USB dongle.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #262 of 354
Is there a different kind of adapter needed to connect a 4-pole 3.5mm (the KPH30i uses) to a 1/4' amp? It sounds extremely muffled when using a standard adapter, but sounds normal on a phone 3.5 or even USB dongle.
Schiit sells TRRS splitter for $5 usd

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #263 of 354
There's been some speculation that the clear variant of the KPH30i may sound different because it lacks some foam behind the driver. The foam would definitely look less cool, so I get why Koss did it. On initial listening, my clear KPH30i sounded like I remember my beige one sounding. But then I did some deliberate A-B listening...

And the clear KPH30i does sound a bit different to me in the treble. Maybe a bit "clackier," a bit unpolished. Not that KPH30i treble is especially polished anyway, but my clear headphone does sound a tad more raw. Dunno that it's worse or better, but does sound a bit different. And I can't 100% attribute it to the missing foam, could just be some other unit variation. But the foam seems the most likely culprit.

Continuing with my experiments with in-ear microphone measurements, I tested the clear vs. beige KPH30is and this is the result.

kph30i-beige-clear.png

I've got a ton more measurements of Koss 60 ohm headphones on this imgur post, for anyone interested.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #265 of 354
I saw the DMS review and figured I'd give em a shot, the mid range does get pulled back and the top end is kinda "clacky" tho I'm doing my initial listen on a modded SET tube with the iFi iDSD Neo. Can't say it's tooo overbearing while watching TV, vocals have a prominent chesty emphasis with an oddly breathy nature to it...

All in all these feel like a decent compliment to the porta pro w/Yaxi Pads which retains a good bit of mid-range without being so "v" shapped, these on the other hand are rather V shapped, realy question is how does it compare to the Superlux HD 668B which has a similar response

Big Mid Bass, recessed mids and a forward top end. I guess the bottom line boils down how much you value the HD 668Bs detachable cable over the Koss warranty

I'll have more immediate comparisons here soon

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #266 of 354
This has probably been asked before, but does the different 3rd party Grado pads make a difference? I think Z Reviews linked the Vever pads on Amazon, DMS linked the Bokie pads, and I also see Geekria mentioned in some reviews as well. Does quality of the foam or effect on sound differ between them? Maybe I'm thinking too much into this

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #267 of 354
This has probably been asked before, but does the different 3rd party Grado pads make a difference? I think Z Reviews linked the Vever pads on Amazon, DMS linked the Bokie pads, and I also see Geekria mentioned in some reviews as well. Does quality of the foam or effect on sound differ between them? Maybe I'm thinking too much into this

The density of the foam likely does make a small difference as does the shape and dimension of the pads. I got the Bokie pads my self

Tho Salad Bowl Grado pads universally add top end energy, de-emphasis mid range and open up the sound stage. So I think those effects are universal but the specific nature/width/depth of the peaks and dips may differ between the pads

May 9, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #268 of 354

kph30i-pad-swap.jpg

This tracks with my experience with my Clears and Vever Grado pads (for sale if anyone wants to try). The soundstage and presentation overall felt more congested as well, Idk. I kinda liked their comfort though. Do you have a graph for the Clears with Yaxi pads? That's what I'm trying next. I have them on my KSC75X and haven't noticed a big difference, but based on oratory1990's measurements on Porta Pros, they increase treble and maybe ever so slightly boost the bass.

May 9, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #269 of 354
Foam behind drivers in clears is removed for security concerns as per Prison guidelines.

Also, how removing foam covering from KPS driver “allows more treble in”? Do we know how and which frequencies does it affect?

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #270 of 354
tried it with a 3rd party grado foam I used to won for my now lost SR60e, the improvement in sound got outweighted by the harder driving power requirement and less convenient usage.
as the KPH30i is basically my beater, on-bed headphone I chose to revert it back to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back