Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #166 of 354
Btw, I also did these mods to the sportapro drivers:

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #168 of 354
Connectors that I ordered are way too long on the inside part of the connector and it made it impossible to install drivers. So I had to improvise.
471E8E96-FBA8-4541-A909-4C6BAF547719.jpeg

9DBA20F8-A88F-4F4C-87B4-41018DEF997F.jpeg

D34ABB77-9C90-47CC-B002-EAA1E809E8CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #169 of 354
This thread is fanstastic. I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm just about to purchase my first KPH30i (or two) which are now on sale off Amazon, and have also been reading with interest the recommended mods with replacement Grado C. Can a poster recommend any specific replacement pads available for purchase on Amazon, or does it matter? Will certainly listen to them for a while as is, but the bigger soundstage of the mod and less veil has appeal.

2. My ears often struggle to discern the finer differences that some friends hear, but is there really an appreciable difference if they are driven by say a modest BTR5 type amplification?

Thanks

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #170 of 354
This thread is fanstastic. I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm just about to purchase my first KPH30i (or two) which are now on sale off Amazon, and have also been reading with interest the recommended mods with replacement Grado C. Can a poster recommend any specific replacement pads available for purchase on Amazon, or does it matter? Will certainly listen to them for a while as is, but the bigger soundstage of the mod and less veil has appeal.

2. My ears often struggle to discern the finer differences that some friends hear, but is there really an appreciable difference if they are driven by say a modest BTR5 type amplification?

Thanks
Look for:
Replacement Earpads Ear Pads Cushion Foam for Grado GS1000i, GS1000e, GS2000e, PS1000, PS1000e Headphone
They also call the G-cushion pads sometimes.

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #171 of 354
picked up a bunch of these for $20 ($10 off $30) from amazon priime day. Got the $6 replacement foam pads from ebay
combined these will make nice holiday gifts to audiophile newbies I know

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #172 of 354
just got the over sized pads from ebay/china and after listening before and after they really are allot more comfortable and opened up with the giant pads. Comparing to another over ears cheapo my Sony MDR MA100.These "feel" more balanced than the Sony's which push the vocals out forward more.
Listening on my Zishan DSD to Diane Panton's To Brazil with Love album "Samba Saravah" and I'm in french bistro heaven.
Feels like going back in time laying on the floor listening my old yellow foamie sennheisers on my home stereo listening to perado/cugat albums in the 70's.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #173 of 354
just got the over sized pads from ebay/china and after listening before and after they really are allot more comfortable and opened up with the giant pads. Comparing to another over ears cheapo my Sony MDR MA100.These "feel" more balanced than the Sony's which push the vocals out forward more.
Listening on my Zishan DSD to Diane Panton's To Brazil with Love album "Samba Saravah" and I'm in french bistro heaven.
Feels like going back in time laying on the floor listening my old yellow foamie sennheisers on my home stereo listening to perado/cugat albums in the 70's.

Beautiful!

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #174 of 354
Hello all.... I have a question thAt may be a bit stupid... Sorry in advanced. I have these kph30i modded to mmcx....

Can i safely use a balanced cable and use a balanced output on it? I have a mmcx to 4.4mm termination cable and an amp/dac with 4.4 balanced.....

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #176 of 354
Hello all.... I have a question thAt may be a bit stupid... Sorry in advanced. I have these kph30i modded to mmcx....

Can i safely use a balanced cable and use a balanced output on it? I have a mmcx to 4.4mm termination cable and an amp/dac with 4.4 balanced.....
Yes, you can even go from the balanced cable to unbalanced single ended 3.5mm using an adapter but you can't do the reverse. Using the balanced cable to balanced amp/unbalanced amp is ok. Using unbalanced cable to balanced amp using an adapter is bad, which you aren't trying to do.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #177 of 354
Yes, you can even go from the balanced cable to unbalanced single ended 3.5mm using an adapter but you can't do the reverse. Using the balanced cable to balanced amp/unbalanced amp is ok. Using unbalanced cable to balanced amp using an adapter is bad, which you aren't trying to do.
Thanks a lot. I would'nt want to break/short out any gear...

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #179 of 354
Hello everyone, I might buy a kph30i and do some mods to it, so I have been thinking of pads swap and removable cable mod (new cable too). So between the pads, I have seen a lot of people put grado pads, but some peeps recommend me to put 414 pads on it, which ones are better?

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #180 of 354
Z Reviews tried the Grado G cushions, and it's safe to say he likes it lol.

Skip to the 22:00 mark (where he realizes that removing the original pads first works best):

p.s. shout out to my buddy Nick for informing me of the vid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back