Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #136 of 354
I haven't tried the yaxi pads. But because the huGe pads elevate the drivers off of the ears, they result in added air, larger soundstage, and a bit less warmth (but still plenty of warmth and bass). They kind of perfect their sound imo.

Since I’m still waiting for pads and wires/connectors, I’ve experimented a bit. My observation is as follow:
Closer to ear = more articulated bass that seems to be punchier and deeper. Soundstage is still wide, treble might be a bit much. But that depends what you like.
Farther away increases soundstage, smooths our highs and rolls off bass a bit. Angling drivers doesn’t do anything but worsening overall presentation.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #137 of 354
@pannaya, the Grado huGe pads would work well for you.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #138 of 354
20200712_090926_HDR.jpg20200712_090713_HDR.jpgyaxi pads and g cushions...absolutely love the sound...especially plugged into my lg v60 and eq'd a bit. they look good too imo. listening to different albums, i have found the recording of albums makes the most difference to the sound...some albums are recorded horribly while some sound fantastic. anyways love these more than my ksc75 with yaxi's.........slightly!
Hey man curious where to source the G Cushions. hats off for this mod looks awesome.

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #139 of 354
How would you compare the sound signature & comfort of the KTXPro1 vs the KPH30i?

Comfort wise, the kph30i is slightly better, mainly because there it just stays put where it is.
Soundwise I seem to prefer the ktxpro1. The kph30i seems to be talked about a whole lot more on YouTube etc (comparing it to the ppro) and it even is said to be better than the ppro. I wonder why the ktxpro1 hasn't gotten that much attention.

The ktpxro1 to me seems cleaner in the separation of vocals and mids. The KPH30i is nice, however I seem to feel a certain cloudiness to the whole sound.

Listening to tracks on the $6 panasonic RP-HT21 now and it is a gem as well!

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #140 of 354
Comfort wise, the kph30i is slightly better, mainly because there it just stays put where it is.
Soundwise I seem to prefer the ktxpro1. The kph30i seems to be talked about a whole lot more on YouTube etc (comparing it to the ppro) and it even is said to be better than the ppro. I wonder why the ktxpro1 hasn't gotten that much attention.

The ktpxro1 to me seems cleaner in the separation of vocals and mids. The KPH30i is nice, however I seem to feel a certain cloudiness to the whole sound.

Listening to tracks on the $6 panasonic RP-HT21 now and it is a gem as well!

Thanks for your input. Maybe the way it looks is one of the reasons why the ktxpro1 isn't often talked about? BTW, how about the lower frequencies...better on the ktxpro1 as well?

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #141 of 354
Thanks for your input. Maybe the way it looks is one of the reasons why the ktxpro1 isn't often talked about? BTW, how about the lower frequencies...better on the ktxpro1 as well?

Haha, yeah it (the ktxpro1) has a unique look. The low end on the ktxpro1 is very nice. Not as "boomy" as the ppro or kph30i but has a good clean thump on the low end as well.

Quoting the top review of this from amazon.

QUOTE (from amazon review)
...I've been a fussy audiophile since the early 70's. Sold HiFi in Boston Massachusetts back in the late 70's. My sound system at home is worth maybe $15,000.00 (accumulated over many years). I appreciate a variety of music genres. My favorite headphones are the Sennheiser HD-590's which I've enjoyed for years. I'm on my 3rd set of earpads.

Then along comes these Koss KTXPRO1 headphones for just shy of 14 bucks with free shipping (w/Prime).

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #142 of 354
Haha, yeah it (the ktxpro1) has a unique look. The low end on the ktxpro1 is very nice. Not as "boomy" as the ppro or kph30i but has a good clean thump on the low end as well.

Quoting the top review of this from amazon.

QUOTE (from amazon review)
...I've been a fussy audiophile since the early 70's. Sold HiFi in Boston Massachusetts back in the late 70's. My sound system at home is worth maybe $15,000.00 (accumulated over many years). I appreciate a variety of music genres. My favorite headphones are the Sennheiser HD-590's which I've enjoyed for years. I'm on my 3rd set of earpads.

Then along comes these Koss KTXPRO1 headphones for just shy of 14 bucks with free shipping (w/Prime).

Now I wish I added the ktxpro1 to my most recent Amazon order...

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #143 of 354
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #145 of 354
You mean the thin piece of foam/cushion that's immediately covering the driver? See https://images.app.goo.gl/mWGPqnuFHvfYKxTF9 (it's in the upper part of this photo).
No, the foam that touches your ear. Black foam inside is sort of tuning pad. If you remove it, sound is a bit more open. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it but with tuning foam, bass seems to be a little tighter. I have ordered different thickness tuning foam to play with. If I find anything worth reporting, I will.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #146 of 354
P.S closer to ear, crisper sound gets. Bass is also tighter. It will take some experimenting to find right compromise.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #147 of 354
No, the foam that touches your ear. Black foam inside is sort of tuning pad. If you remove it, sound is a bit more open. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it but with tuning foam, bass seems to be a little tighter. I have ordered different thickness tuning foam to play with. If I find anything worth reporting, I will.

I see. So in post #143 above, you recommend using the KPH30i without the stock earpads?

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #148 of 354
I see. So in post #143 above, you recommend using the KPH30i without the stock earpads?
I don’t necessarily recommend it. It’s just what I have noticed when I was playing with them while waiting for my connectors, new pads, cables and extra tuning pads.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #150 of 354
I don’t necessarily recommend it. It’s just what I have noticed when I was playing with them while waiting for my connectors, new pads, cables and extra tuning pads.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I really have to say how amazing the kph30i with grado pads are. I can fully hear my surroundings even when I am listening with medium loud volumes. I can talk fine with people too This is now my go to everyday headphones.

Nice! You should try earbuds, they give a similar experience :) Anyway, are you using the Grado G cush or one of their smaller pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back