Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Sep 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 354

waynes world

Headphoneus Supremus
For some reason, there isn't a thread on head-fi for these awesome headphones.

There is now. Share the love!

https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/kph30i

kph30ik_master_6.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 354
I'll start by sharing a post by @Nick-s-f:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/koss-portapro-thread.139773/page-75#post-15183815

An aside...

KPH30i owners? Been playing around with kph30i and Geekria Grado replacement 'donut' pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Repl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KEG255AZA3F6E2SNVAP3
The pads placed over the stock pads increase comfort and make the sound less 'dark' and
a bit more balanced.
Sorry if its off-topic, but there is no kph30i thread.:triportsad:

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 354
Nick, you said this in the Portapro thread:

Koss Portas w/yaxi is easily my favorite dynamic driver headphone sound..really wish I could have had this back when joining head-fi. The collection would be a bit smaller than it is now.

These things really kick, rumble and image much better than I would expect..even if the sound is a touch dark it helps their cause. I may actually prefer them to kph30i with these pads.

It is the kind of sound I was looking for when using the old hd600 w/tubes.

Do you prefer those Geekria Grado pads with the KPH30i's over the Yaxi pads?

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 354
Nick, you said this in the Portapro thread:

Do you prefer those Geekria Grado pads with the KPH30i's over the Yaxi pads?

Its a close call. KPH30i is more laid back and wide, but the portas are more exciting, image better and punch harder.

I like the midrange on the porta pro better than most other headphones, so it wins out..just barely.

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 354
Its a close call. KPH30i is more laid back and wide, but the portas are more exciting, image better and punch harder.

I like the midrange on the porta pro better than most other headphones, so it wins out..just barely.

Thanks. I have the sportapros (on parts express headband), and it seems that I would probably like the yaxi pads for them.

And I just received the KPH30i's. I'm going to get used to them before considering any pad changes, but the Geekria Grado pads that you mentioned are interesting.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 354
Sep 29, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 354
KHP30i arrived yesterday, cheapest way to get them in UK seemed to be buying direct from amazon.com despite the shipping & import cost. Still well worth it although it added about £10 to the price, these are excellent. Nice accompaniment to my other Koss's (PortaPro, KTXPRO1 and KSC75). Beautifully laid back open sound, nice amount of detail, I like the slightly wider pads as well compared with the other Koss's. You can pretty much forget you're wearing them as well.

Sep 29, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 354
KHP30i arrived yesterday, cheapest way to get them in UK seemed to be buying direct from amazon.com despite the shipping & import cost. Still well worth it although it added about £10 to the price, these are excellent. Nice accompaniment to my other Koss's (PortaPro, KTXPRO1 and KSC75). Beautifully laid back open sound, nice amount of detail, I like the slightly wider pads as well compared with the other Koss's. You can pretty much forget you're wearing them as well.
Got mine a couple of weeks ago from the Drop and digging them a lot. Nice addition to my collection. At my age and level of hearing loss I have pretty much given up on expensive headphones and these fill in the gap very nicely. With the KPH30i, Porta Pro, and KSC75 (Parts Express headband with Yaxi pads) I am just back into the music more, and gear less so. How fun.

Sep 30, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 354

+1

Got mine a couple of weeks ago from the Drop and digging them a lot. Nice addition to my collection. At my age and level of hearing loss I have pretty much given up on expensive headphones and these fill in the gap very nicely. With the KPH30i, Porta Pro, and KSC75 (Parts Express headband with Yaxi pads) I am just back into the music more, and gear less so. How fun.

Yeah, being in my 50's, my hearing also ain't what it used to be, and it is somewhat liberating to not worry so much about every last detail. But I still know what sounds good to me, and the Koss-cheapo-trinity family fits the bill :)

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 354
Crazy pad experiment with kph30i!
10092919.JPG

Pads are cheap not-genuine Grado G cushions, and they fit quite well actually. Of course little cut for cable would be necessary but these are for my Grados so I won't be doing that. But oh boy how they sound! Much bigger soundstage width and depth, whole sound is more clear since there's nothing covering the grill. Surprisingly sound signature is still pretty much the same but less veiled. Bass is very clean and punchy! I really might have to buy another set of these pads, just for kph30i.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 354
Crazy pad experiment with kph30i!

Pads are cheap not-genuine Grado G cushions, and they fit quite well actually. Of course little cut for cable would be necessary but these are for my Grados so I won't be doing that. But oh boy how they sound! Much bigger soundstage width and depth, whole sound is more clear since there's nothing covering the grill. Surprisingly sound signature is still pretty much the same but less veiled. Bass is very clean and punchy! I really might have to buy another set of these pads, just for kph30i.

Very interesting! I'd be interested in a link for those pads if you have it. Thanks.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 354
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 354

Users who are viewing this thread

Back