KOSS ESP6 REFURBISHED VINTAGE ELECTROSTATICS
Oct 29, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #31 of 97
I can get some of these but the ad states that they are broken, they produce low volume sound .

Are they worth the bother? I really like my small electrostatic computer speakers .... How would they compare to something like an AKG k500 or Sennheiser?

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 97
So far no sound at all on the right side. It could be that they just need to charge up. It could also be that some connections are corroded.

As for the 'broken' pair, although these things have a headphone plug on them, they need a fairly beefy source. This is why they usually come with a box that lets you plug them into a speaker amp.

Plugged into a source that makes most headphones loud, they may only whisper. The headphone amp i plugged mine into is configured to make very inefficient headphones quite loud - it's beefier and meaner than most. So it could be that they're working just fine.

If you buy a pair, unless you enjoy taking things apart and making them better than they were when you started, you'd be better off starting your electrostatic experience somewhere else. These kosses are as old as 1969 and even if they are truly new old stock, they need some attention to be their best - not all of the materials they used hold up to the test of 30+ years on the shelf.

people may even sell refurbished sets, but it's hard to say how much they're worth. I paid less than $15 for my set.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #35 of 97
There are some magnetostatic (iso/orthodynamic) computer speakers sold under the Monsoon and Sonigistix names.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #36 of 97
well i think i found a bad solder joint on the transformer primary. (edit: in the right earcup)

All the foam is dead of course. The level of corrosion on the solder joints is just amazing. Like it's been under the sea for 10 years.

Scraping off the corrosion and resoldering the joints with a whole lot of flux is the pitts. There must be a chemical way to deal with it. Ideas?

Transformer is a little rusty on the side where the core laminate is exposed.

Seems to me that the damping felt is heavier than the ESP9, but the foam is lower density.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #37 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i think i found a bad solder joint on the transformer primary. (edit: in the right earcup)

All the foam is dead of course. The level of corrosion on the solder joints is just amazing. Like it's been under the sea for 10 years.

Scraping off the corrosion and resoldering the joints with a whole lot of flux is the pitts. There must be a chemical way to deal with it. Ideas?

Transformer is a little rusty on the side where the core laminate is exposed.

Seems to me that the damping felt is heavier than the ESP9, but the foam is lower density.

I simply reflowed the solder and sucked it all away and repaired the traces that were badly corroded with solder or simply bypassed them with wire. I spent quite a bit of time refurbing mine but they were of course outside of the headphones. I really need to find the right stepped drill so I can finish the adapter box...

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #38 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly are these???????????

015E000000048724.jpg

They use SLAB technology. They are a very musical set of computer speakers. I have two pairs and will never part with them. Never harsh , always fun to listen to. the sub while a bit boomy even turned down to it's lowest setting, is not bad , it gives the whole setup a warm tunefull tone. the crossover point between sub and panel is not perfect but good enough. They are best with Jazz music.

they've been out of production for 4 years , I got my second pair from ebay . Also tried the Non electrostatic version (2414 ) but the sub was terrible and these small sattelites while loud where ear grinding and did not integrate at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Labtec-Edge-3-.../dp/B00004TL60

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #39 of 97
Flat doesn't always mean electrostatic.

There are a whole lot of computer speakers out there that connect a voice coil to a flat piece of plastic. These appear to be that design.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #40 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flat doesn't always mean electrostatic.

There are a whole lot of computer speakers out there that connect a voice coil to a flat piece of plastic. These appear to be that design.

It sure looks like a dynamic driven membrane to me.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #41 of 97
Not sure what they are exactly...not a voice coil for sure.

they need some space to sound their best , when looking closely I only see a thin type of foam sheet , at the back and the front as well. Also, they are sensitive to positioning, directional.

They sound different from more traditional speakers.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #42 of 97
you'd be surprised where they can fit a voice coil.

These are covered by patent # 6411723. It's a voice coil driving a flat sheet of plastic.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #44 of 97
I haven't got them reassembled yet. I probably won't be able to get back to them until thursday night.

The board in the right earcup is defective - there's no solder pad around the hole that the red (presumaly hot?) primary lead on the transformer goes through. The trace comes pretty close to the hole, but there's no ring of copper there.

I'm guessing that when they left the factory, there was a solder joint just barely connecting the trace to the wire.

I've pulled the wire through the hole a bit further and bent it over on top of the trace, so it's got a good joint now. I'm guessing (hoping?) that this was the entire issue with the right channel.

I haven't even opened the left yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back