KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 20, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,901 of 4,052
Hi! I recently made a small but very useful and fully reversible mod. I used a silver gel pen and a cotton pads and swabs to remove the excess paint.

7cNEg1.jpg

aR2Mjy.jpg

Bt33H0.jpg

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #3,902 of 4,052
making your own stax male jacks is easy, chinsettawong does them with a 3d printer
I made about 50 of these, they are all gone now

my original prototype
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/staxmale.jpg

production
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/staxmale5.jpg

all Teflon version
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/staxmale3.jpg

I will post featurecam source code once I find it.
each one needs the parts from 2 x neutrik male xlr connectors, so it ends up about $25 each

exactly the right size to .0001 inch

anyone with a dro mill can make them too

featurecam file
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/staxmale.zip

makes 8
Any chance someone here has these files? I have some of the KG stax files it seems, but can't find these plug files therein

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,903 of 4,052
Had anyone heard if Koss is planning any upgrades or new models coming out in the electrostatic realm?

Aug 15, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #3,904 of 4,052
Had anyone heard if Koss is planning any upgrades or new models coming out in the electrostatic realm?
I don’t think they have any engineering or R&D. I think they just make and sell what they have.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #3,906 of 4,052
How is the E90 comparing other Stax amps using with 95x?
While I haven't had a chance to do an A/B yet. My initial impression with the Stax SRM-323A is that it has more body and bass. Honestly haven't listened to them recently. (Been visiting family a lot recently) I can do that this weekend.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #3,907 of 4,052
I just purchased an adapter to use my Koss ESP950 with Stax amps. I use a SRD-7 Pro transformer driven by a Cary Rocket 88 ultra linear 40 watts. I like this setup as it gives a rich sound with full bass and clear highs. Compared to the E90, the bass is a bit tighter and fuller. Treble is nice and detailed and does not sound etched, the E90 is equal here.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #3,908 of 4,052
I just purchased an adapter to use my Koss ESP950 with Stax amps. I use a SRD-7 Pro transformer driven by a Cary Rocket 88 ultra linear 40 watts. I like this setup as it gives a rich sound with full bass and clear highs. Compared to the E90, the bass is a bit tighter and fuller. Treble is nice and detailed and does not sound etched, the E90 is equal here.
Can you please provide a link to the adapter?

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,909 of 4,052
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,910 of 4,052
The E90 IMO cannot drive the 95x to authority. It just doesn't get loud enough for me without distortion. Using an adapter and running a STAX amp or another electrostatic amp is the way to go. I have used several STAX amps so far as well as the Woo Audio Wee with an Emotiva amp and still, I prefer my Mjolnir Audio Octave III. Gets as loud as I can take it and remains clean the entire way there.

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,911 of 4,052
The E90 IMO cannot drive the 95x to authority. It just doesn't get loud enough for me without distortion. Using an adapter and running a STAX amp or another electrostatic amp is the way to go. I have used several STAX amps so far as well as the Woo Audio Wee with an Emotiva amp and still, I prefer my Mjolnir Audio Octave III. Gets as loud as I can take it and remains clean the entire way there.
The thing about the Woo Audio WEE is that it is so dependent on the amp it is paired with. I am getting great results with my WEE paired to my MFA power amp. But I agree completely, the Koss driver doesn't do the Koss phones justice. What I don't get is why they don't sell the headphones alone, for less. Then put the funds saved towards any number of used Stax drivers, you would get a really nice set up. I have only used my E90 like once, just to test it, it has been back in the box ever since.

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,912 of 4,052
How is channel imbalance? My koss energiser is way out of whack and I have to have the left channel much higher than the right just to be channel matched

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #3,914 of 4,052
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #3,915 of 4,052
How is channel imbalance? My koss energiser is way out of whack and I have to have the left channel much higher than the right just to be channel matched
Mine is also fine, no channel imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back