KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 9, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,436 of 4,052
Am I a bad person if the availability of good pads is what keeps me from jumping on a set of cans? After this, I'm interested.
The headphones sit on you head, so if they aren't comfortable, then what's the point. Comfort is equally important to sound quality with headphones.

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #3,439 of 4,052
The stock 950 and 95x pads aren’t the same. There doesn’t seem to be a way to buy just the 95x pads for those of us that like to pad roll. :triportsad:

So when considering the 950 or the 95x, one has to take that into account.

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #3,440 of 4,052
The stock 950 and 95x pads aren’t the same. There doesn’t seem to be a way to buy just the 95x pads for those of us that like to pad roll. :triportsad:

So when considering the 950 or the 95x, one has to take that into account.

There's always vesper pads, though in my experience with a linear power supply feeding the ESP/95X energizer I'm scared upgrading the pads would provide too much bass! :)

I've noticed the left channel sometimes has a faint whine, I switched from HD650's (much more bass there with dekoni elite pads, though at the expense of everything else) back to the ESP/95X the other day and noticed this low-level whine. I worry about dust and try to keep it clean, but left it on, sitting over the PC monitor overnight. The next day the whine was most of the time not audible, and again today the system was performing perfect! From recollection this noise has been there, on and off from day one. Considering sending them in to Koss HQ (it's free, besides shipping, after all) for an inspection when the Elex gets here, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Has anyone noticed this? Is the solution to keep the energizer always on, and the headphones away from dust?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3,441 of 4,052
There's always vesper pads, though in my experience with a linear power supply feeding the ESP/95X energizer I'm scared upgrading the pads would provide too much bass! :)

I've noticed the left channel sometimes has a faint whine, I switched from HD650's (much more bass there with dekoni elite pads, though at the expense of everything else) back to the ESP/95X the other day and noticed this low-level whine. I worry about dust and try to keep it clean, but left it on, sitting over the PC monitor overnight. The next day the whine was most of the time not audible, and again today the system was performing perfect! From recollection this noise has been there, on and off from day one. Considering sending them in to Koss HQ (it's free, besides shipping, after all) for an inspection when the Elex gets here, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Has anyone noticed this? Is the solution to keep the energizer always on, and the headphones away from dust?
@adeadcrab I try to leave the energizer on all the time. With all the lightning storms in the midwest USA it is tough. Find they take 3-4 hours after being plugged in to regain best SQ. My set don't whine, so no idea if keeping them on helps.

Thought the Koss panels are sealed and the whine is caused by dust that was sealed in during manufacturing? Or by things knocked loose inside the panels? I still try to keep them clean.

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,442 of 4,052
Yeah someone else in the other thread mentioned full dust covers. I might send these back for peace of mind. There's probably some dust from manufacturing.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #3,443 of 4,052

I started to notice this with my right headphone...I'm not sure if it was just coincidence that people commented on the left channel.

I noticed it would persist for up to a minute after I disconnected the cable to the Energizer. It would go away and return, but only a slight whine on the right channel. When not in use I keep mine in an enclosed cabinet.

To cut to the chase, after trying various things, I decided to use a portable battery meant for laptops. I set it for 9V, found a tip that fit the Energizer - and the noise went away. I've been using the headphones for 2 hours without noise. I'll report back if it returns.

I'm not sure if bass increased using the battery instead of the cheap wall wart. I just know that now I've listened to my Argons and ESP9X back to back - and they dont seem like completely different headphones any more. Not like going from dark to bright. Theres a good amount of bass, I'm satisfied. So much that I'll eventually try the velour pads again to see if the power source made a difference.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #3,444 of 4,052
I started to notice this with my right headphone...I'm not sure if it was just coincidence that people commented on the left channel.

I noticed it would persist for up to a minute after I disconnected the cable to the Energizer. It would go away and return, but only a slight whine on the right channel. When not in use I keep mine in an enclosed cabinet.

I've experienced the same re: whine even after disconnecting. I'm almost convinced there's some dust in there rattling around making the noise. It comes and goes for me, I suspect you'll encounter it again in a day or two. Yesterday was 50/50 for me.
If it was power related, that would be a different QC issue, I think dust is the simplest answer.

Jun 16, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #3,445 of 4,052
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #3,446 of 4,052
For all of you talking about swapping pads on the 95X, Koss has the original 950 pads on their website for only $5.00 with free shipping, that's cheaper than you can get Chinese knockoffs on Ebay. I just grabbed some for mine. https://www.koss.com/accessories/cushions/esp950-ear-cushion

Thanks for giving people a heads up, I was aware of that. In my case, the stock pads look slightly rough and thin, like the pads on my Sony MDR V6. I wanted smooth pleather or leather for bass retention. The cheap Chinese pads delivered.

I might get the stock pads anyway, because I enjoy pad rolling. Edit - bought.

4 hours of using the portable laptop battery and the whine hasn't returned. I finally feel I'm getting my money out of this purchase. These blow away my Sennheiser HD660S in every way. Those were already getting sold, but they are not worth anywhere near their MSRP.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,447 of 4,052
Thanks for giving people a heads up, I was aware of that. In my case, the stock pads look slightly rough and thin, like the pads on my Sony MDR V6. I wanted smooth pleather or leather for bass retention. The cheap Chinese pads delivered.

I might get the stock pads anyway, because I enjoy pad rolling.
Never thought of that, might have to get some myself then.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #3,450 of 4,052
100%.

Get better pads and never look back.
The 95X pads are great to me, very comfortable. In fact The whole headset is so light you barely notice it on your head. I was just giving folks an option to try out.
Also, they are inexpensive, unlike some of the aftermarket choices, I know I don't want to blow $50-100 on pads to find out they suck. Five bucks is easier to swallow, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back