KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Aug 25, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,196 of 4,052
So is the ESP 950 the headphone that has the longest production run ever (by far)?

I'm not sure why but yes I think you are correct. I refunded mine instantly when it arrived, sounded terrible to me, STAX L300 blows it away imo for 1/2 the cost almost.

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #3,197 of 4,052
The Koss got me into high end headphones in 1990, so I have an affection for them. I had 2 of them. I used to listen through the squeal on both of them. (I learned to mentally tune it out.)

I remember talking on the phone to Tyll about them in 1999. I told him I liked them and he said he didn't think highly of them (in stronger language than that).
I took his advice and bought Senns (600's) and a Headroom Max amp from him.

I'm still using Tyll's Max. (The Max is still an awesome amp, powering my Utopia with sensational sound all these years later.)

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #3,198 of 4,052
So is the ESP 950 the headphone that has the longest production run ever (by far)?
The Sony MDRV6 came out in 1985. I think it’s still being made.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #3,201 of 4,052
The KOSS Pro4aa have been in continuous production for 48 Years

From https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/pro4aa -

"Koss Pro4AA headphones set the standard for full size professional headphones. They were introduced in 1970 as the first dynamic headphones to deliver true full frequency and high fidelity performance with impressive noise isolating capabilities."

They were my first good headphones. Able to listen to the Bach Toccata and Fugue (and other similar classics...) at 3AM without getting a call from the Resident Assistant. The little Altecs didn't really reach 30Hz, but I let them try when it wasn't so early... :smile_phones:

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,203 of 4,052
I have had my 950 phones since 1993, they were serviced for the first time in January of last year. No squeal ever, just the energizer needed new caps. I have listened to some Stax over the years, but in my opinion only the upper level ones exceeded the 950's, starting at over twice the price plus extra for a good amp. I will keep my Koss for a long time.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3,204 of 4,052
So I dug out my 950s and my Stax SRM-1/MK-2 again and was once again struck by the ethereality of the treble and mids. Love it!... but I just can't deal with the lack of bass impact, even after EQing it with APO.

I need electrostat mids and highs with the bass quantity and impact of planar/dynamic.

Sigh.

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,205 of 4,052
So I dug out my 950s and my Stax SRM-1/MK-2 again and was once again struck by the ethereality of the treble and mids. Love it!... but I just can't deal with the lack of bass impact, even after EQing it with APO.

I need electrostat mids and highs with the bass quantity and impact of planar/dynamic.

Sigh.

STAX L300 driven from a high power source (stereo amp via SRD-7 transformer (or $$$$ Mjolnir/Kevin Gilmore amps) and a little subbass and midbass EQ is probably what you want then...

My modded STAX L300 Limited (L700 pads and headband assembly) has basically Focal Elear level of bass from my Mjolnir SRD-7 and NAD C275BEE stereo amp setup with RME ADI-2 DAC. Running +4.0dB @ 57Hz, Q= 1.1 and +1.5dB @ 82Hz, Q=1.3 on the ADI-2 DAC. The ESP950 falls behind STAX in the bass department and was just too laid back for me. Once I went STAX had zero desire for the ESP950 anymore.

To get maximum bass from electrostats, you need a dedicated special amp to drive them fully... the SRD-7 and NAD C275BEE was a noticeable increase in low end, dynamic, and full bodied sound from the STAX SRM-323S driver.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #3,208 of 4,052
It seems that they no longer include the case or the battery pack, they changed the color, and they have changed the pads to velour. One of the massdrop employees said that they were comparable to the stax SRS-5100 system, but the stax had a "low-end response less engaging than the ESP/95X"

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #3,209 of 4,052
Link? I can't find crap on Massdrop since their crapty wall-based social media post/comment pages don't let you sort by date... or anything else for that matter.

Yes, I'm old and loathe social media and things that look like social media... and stay off my lawn. Damned kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back