KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Feb 27, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #3,136 of 4,052
My ESP950 has a new friend...

i-M4pZxFZ.jpg

Noticeable difference between the fit and sound of the two. If I could have the comfort and lightweight of the Koss with the overall sound/BASS and sense of space of the STAX that would be my ideal electrostat. Dang STAX L300 grips your head tighter than an HD6XX and punishes your ears with its ergonomics...and I totally don't care because of the sound experienced from it makes the pain worth it. Going to try making a 3D printed adapter to fit the ESP950 Vesper pads on the L300 so at least the ears will have some relief (and hopefully the sound doesn't change for the worse.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #3,137 of 4,052
My ESP950 has a new friend...

i-M4pZxFZ.jpg

Noticeable difference between the fit and sound of the two. If I could have the comfort and lightweight of the Koss with the overall sound/BASS and sense of space of the STAX that would be my ideal electrostat. Dang STAX L300 grips your head tighter than an HD6XX and punishes your ears with its ergonomics...and I totally don't care because of the sound experienced from it makes the pain worth it. Going to try making a 3D printed adapter to fit the ESP950 Vesper pads on the L300 so at least the ears will have some relief (and hopefully the sound doesn't change for the worse.

Hoping their will be a comparative review in the near future:L3000:

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #3,138 of 4,052
Unless you just didn't mention it before, your Bifrost isn't/wasn't the multibit, though. Right? Wrong? Should be making a difference. You bought that Gustard from PWGuy? The price was right, then, and more than the regular Bifrost, less than the Multibit. Still more than 2x the SMM. But, you are right - I want to get the most I can for my money, without suffering buyers remorse down the road. coulda shoulda woulda, and all that. A little step up maybe, not so much 2x. Except for the roll-off, the E18 ain't horrible... :o2smile:

If you want a nice DAC but don't want to spend too much, the Bifrost MB is great. I havent heard the Modi MB, but people say the sound is really close to the Bifrost MB. However, with the recent Bifrost you get upgradability and a USB input that makes USB decrapifiers unnecessary. For those differences I think the Bifrost MB is worth the extra money. Or for the $2k you saved on a car, you could almost get the Yggdrasil and be done. I have both and absolutely no regrets.

The problem with Gustard and most other Chi-fi brands is that upgradeability is non-existent, servicing means an expensive trip back across the pond, and they normally aren't multi-bit. Some people like the Sabre DAC sound for it's artificially sparkly highs, but to me multi-bit is just a lot more natural sounding.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #3,139 of 4,052
If you want a nice DAC but don't want to spend too much, the Bifrost MB is great. I havent heard the Modi MB, but people say the sound is really close to the Bifrost MB. However, with the recent Bifrost you get upgradability and a USB input that makes USB decrapifiers unnecessary. For those differences I think the Bifrost MB is worth the extra money. Or for the $2k you saved on a car, you could almost get the Yggdrasil and be done. I have both and absolutely no regrets.

The problem with Gustard and most other Chi-fi brands is that upgradeability is non-existent, servicing means an expensive trip back across the pond, and they normally aren't multi-bit. Some people like the Sabre DAC sound for it's artificially sparkly highs, but to me multi-bit is just a lot more natural sounding.
Multibit DAC's tend to be pricier than bitstream DAC'S. It is more a matter of what you like, and what kind of files you are going to be playing. Bit Stream DAC's may be able to play DSD files, while a multi bit PCM are not really able to do that unless they convert it to PCM. Multi Bit DAC'S are mostly a current fad, it cost more to configure one than a Bit Stream usually cost. That being said, some of Schiit's new DAC'S can play multi bit, for as low as $259. The catch is most multi bit (and Bit Stream also) can not play at 24 bit word length. The 2 lower multi bit DAC units I believe only resolve 16 bit info. That in it's self is not all that big of deal, because even the best DAC units struggle to even achieve 20 bit resolution.
My best suggestion is to forget the spec's and go by how they sound to you. A DAC that does not appeal to you is not worth it. I have a DAC by Adcom that is 25 years old and it still sounds good to me. Even my 16 bit HRT iStreamer sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #3,140 of 4,052
Ok, so since Christmas, I have been listening to planar headphones from Monoprice, the M1060 and the iem M300. I really like both of them, but my final impression is I like the ESP-950 headphones the best. Both planars are very good, each have their good points, so they will be staying around, However the Koss ESP-950's are still the king of sound here.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #3,141 of 4,052
Multibit DAC's tend to be pricier than bitstream DAC'S. It is more a matter of what you like, and what kind of files you are going to be playing. Bit Stream DAC's may be able to play DSD files, while a multi bit PCM are not really able to do that unless they convert it to PCM. Multi Bit DAC'S are mostly a current fad, it cost more to configure one than a Bit Stream usually cost. That being said, some of Schiit's new DAC'S can play multi bit, for as low as $259. The catch is most multi bit (and Bit Stream also) can not play at 24 bit word length. The 2 lower multi bit DAC units I believe only resolve 16 bit info. That in it's self is not all that big of deal, because even the best DAC units struggle to even achieve 20 bit resolution.
My best suggestion is to forget the spec's and go by how they sound to you. A DAC that does not appeal to you is not worth it. I have a DAC by Adcom that is 25 years old and it still sounds good to me. Even my 16 bit HRT iStreamer sounds good to me.

Multibit DACs are pricier than Delta/Sigma (D/S). They are more complicated and not all DAC designers have the skills to implement them properly. D/S cookbook info is readily available and relatively easy to design for someone with some electronics experience. I disagree with your comment that multibit is a current fad. They were the standard until near the mid-90's when D/S replaced them purely because of cost and with the promise that they were close enough in performance. Because the industry shifted to D/S due to cost, chip manufacturers pretty much abandoned multibit for a long time. Schiit had to go to medical grade multibit DAC chips. Luckilly the medical instrument industry is more demanding, but the chips can get pretty expensive.

Most people forget that the one of the most important determinants of great sound in a DAC is really the analog section and power supplies. This is also where the price escalates quickly.

As far as DSD....Who cares. Really this is an empty promise that has a very low chance of going anywhere. Not because there isn't potential, but mostly because (yet again) Sony has a history of coming up with great ideas that fail because of industry timing or strict and expensive licensing requirements. I wish them well but I'm not holding my breath for long term DSD success.

Your GDA-600 is a very good DAC. I used to own one and I think it's still better than a lot of stuff out there today. But it would easilly be a $1000 DAC if it could be made today. I worked with the original designers of this and the later GDA-700 on some projects in the late 90's.

You are absolutely correct that someone should pretty much forget about the specs and just base a buying decision on listening preferences. Myself, I tend to prefer Schiit Multibit DACs because of their high value for the dollar, and I usually prefer multibit over D/S when properly implemented.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,142 of 4,052
Multibit DACs are pricier than Delta/Sigma (D/S). They are more complicated and not all DAC designers have the skills to implement them properly. D/S cookbook info is readily available and relatively easy to design for someone with some electronics experience. I disagree with your comment that multibit is a current fad. They were the standard until near the mid-90's when D/S replaced them purely because of cost and with the promise that they were close enough in performance. Because the industry shifted to D/S due to cost, chip manufacturers pretty much abandoned multibit for a long time. Schiit had to go to medical grade multibit DAC chips. Luckilly the medical instrument industry is more demanding, but the chips can get pretty expensive.

Most people forget that the one of the most important determinants of great sound in a DAC is really the analog section and power supplies. This is also where the price escalates quickly.

As far as DSD....Who cares. Really this is an empty promise that has a very low chance of going anywhere. Not because there isn't potential, but mostly because (yet again) Sony has a history of coming up with great ideas that fail because of industry timing or strict and expensive licensing requirements. I wish them well but I'm not holding my breath for long term DSD success.

Your GDA-600 is a very good DAC. I used to own one and I think it's still better than a lot of stuff out there today. But it would easilly be a $1000 DAC if it could be made today. I worked with the original designers of this and the later GDA-700 on some projects in the late 90's.

You are absolutely correct that someone should pretty much forget about the specs and just base a buying decision on listening preferences. Myself, I tend to prefer Schiit Multibit DACs because of their high value for the dollar, and I usually prefer multibit over D/S when properly implemented.
I have toyed with the idea of getting a Schiit Multibit DAC, most likely the Modi 2 if I do. I would like to try some of the Schiit products, so the Modi 2, maybe the Vali 2 amp or the Magni 3, and the Loki looks interesting as well. The Jill ADC is a distinct possibility , as of now I only have CD-R CD recorders, one is a Sony with SBM. I am not sure if I really need 96 or 192 kHz recording capability.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #3,143 of 4,052
I have toyed with the idea of getting a Schiit Multibit DAC, most likely the Modi 2 if I do. I would like to try some of the Schiit products, so the Modi 2, maybe the Vali 2 amp or the Magni 3, and the Loki looks interesting as well. The Jill ADC is a distinct possibility , as of now I only have CD-R CD recorders, one is a Sony with SBM. I am not sure if I really need 96 or 192 kHz recording capability.
The Modi 2 is a SD DAC. The Modi Multibit (or Mimby) is a multibit DAC.

The differences between them are subtle, but real. I felt the Schiit MB DACs to be a little smoother and easier to listen to. This turns out to work well with the 950 as the transparency of the 950 can really expose the slight harshness, or "glare" of some SD DACs.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #3,144 of 4,052

Re the Bifrost MB vs the Modi MB, I follow there are differences in the topology and especially the new Bifrost is modular, which is an advantage. They both have USB input, so are you saying the input on the Bifrost is already 'decrapified', which is part of the difference too? For me, this is rare air price-wise, and going from $249 to $599 is a pretty big deal.

And, really wasn't 'saving' money, I could have been stuck for worse is all, and for money I don't really have to spare. Underwhelmed by the Stax amp to date, but the idea of being glad to be alive to love and listen still feels valid.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #3,145 of 4,052
Yes, the Bimby has the new Gen 5 USB, which is about a good a decrapifier as you can get. Note, it only makes a difference if you have crappy USB or have platinum ears.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3,146 of 4,052
Re the Bifrost MB vs the Modi MB, I follow there are differences in the topology and especially the new Bifrost is modular, which is an advantage. They both have USB input, so are you saying the input on the Bifrost is already 'decrapified', which is part of the difference too? For me, this is rare air price-wise, and going from $249 to $599 is a pretty big deal.

And, really wasn't 'saving' money, I could have been stuck for worse is all, and for money I don't really have to spare. Underwhelmed by the Stax amp to date, but the idea of being glad to be alive to love and listen still feels valid.

Like @Allanmarcus says, the latest Bifrost MB (Bimby) has the decrapifier built in. So thats worth $179, plus you dont have to use any additional cables like with the Eitr. The rest of the difference in price you are really paying for the upgradeability. To me that's worth it but you have to decide. Ive had my Bifrost for almost 4 years now and have upgraded it twice. Once to Multibit, and the other for Gen 5 USB. The ESP-950s are pretty revealing so you will hear an improvement if you use USB. USB is pretty crappy in its raw form. Once you hear the difference you can't really go back. I use my Bifrost MB at work with USB sources exclusively so it was worth it. The Bifrost MB does use a better DAC chip than the Modi MB and has a better analog section, but people have said that the difference in performance is still pretty slim if you arent using USB.

Another issue with the mini chassis is that they tend to move around a lot unless you have them stacked or weighted down. The Bifrost is heavy enough where you dont have this issue.

Still, if I were on a very limited budget I could happily live with a Magni 3 and a Modi MB with Sennheiser HD-650s. The Magni 3 is pretty insane for how cheap it is. It actually replaced a MicroZotl 2 which is now near $2k. The MZ2 was better in some respects, but not worth the extra $$ to me. Unfortunately electrostatics complicate things with the temptation to use a Stax or Kevin Gilmore amp which then gets into serious money. I still like my ESP-950's, but they probaby only get used about 10% of the time when I'm in the mood for certain types of music, or a certain sound presentation.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #3,147 of 4,052
Hey Friends,

Recently picked up some ESP950s and just received (well, re-received them, had to send them back due to buzzing) and had two quick questions.

1. Should I not be leaving the E/90 amplifier on permanently? Do you turn it off when you turn off your computer?

2. How easy is it to switch out the stock pads with vesper pads? Is there a tutorial around?

So far I really like the headphones, but these are the cheapest feeling expensive thing I've ever purchased.

I appreciate the help!

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #3,148 of 4,052
Hey Friends,

Recently picked up some ESP950s and just received (well, re-received them, had to send them back due to buzzing) and had two quick questions.

1. Should I not be leaving the E/90 amplifier on permanently? Do you turn it off when you turn off your computer?

2. How easy is it to switch out the stock pads with vesper pads? Is there a tutorial around?

So far I really like the headphones, but these are the cheapest feeling expensive thing I've ever purchased.

I appreciate the help!
I turn it off.
No tutorial. You just gently pull off the old pads and then painstakingly put on the new ones. It's obvious, but you have to have patience.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,149 of 4,052
I have heard mixed views on leaving the Amp on all the time. Mine lasted almost 25 years before I had to have Koss repair it.

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #3,150 of 4,052
Got my headphones back. Nice to have them back, but I'm getting a bit of noise out of the right channel still. It's intermittent, so for the time being I'll chock it up to the driver needing to settle, but if it doesn't go away I'm probably going to see about refunding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back