KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 15, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,191 of 4,052
When you mentioned Ruby My Dear, one of the most cutting edge albums of 2012 came to mind. An extraordinarily talented French electronic music group, and it sounds exquisite on the ESP-950:

Ruby My Dear - Remains of Shapes to Come 

EDIT:
Sorry somehow I was actually referring to this album:
Beat Dowsing - Trigger Melodies (2013) free download

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,192 of 4,052
OK, @DecentLevi, I'll check them out (bad time now, insomnia hasme posting, but everyone else here is asleep). My mom (and her dad, natch) were Levi, have to listen to others of the tribe :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,193 of 4,052
Entertaining myself while waiting for the alarm to go off listening to a great album...Roswell Rudd's "Trombone for Lovers", almost worth not sleeping...

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,194 of 4,052
I wonder how well the iPower from iFi-Audio would work with the 950?  For $49, Music Direct sells a 9V 2A version. According to the them, it's better than a LPS. According to iFi, that is. 

This looks very interesting. I am going to read more on this iFi power supply. I just wish they have one I could use on my Creek OBH-11.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #2,196 of 4,052
Cheapest price new I've heard. Actually took off my HE-1000 yesterday, and went with the 950...not that it sounded better (it didn't). but it DID sound really good, and it was hot in the room, making the 950 MUCH more comfortable to wear, light, cooler.
Just sayin' (no, I'm not getting rid of the hEK).

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,198 of 4,052
I'd take an ESP950, even with its little stock amp, over an unmodded/decently amped HD800 any day. They are leagues ahead of the HD800 (in those conditions) in terms of tonal balance, timbre, and frequency response IMO. An unmodded HD800 will pry much deeper into a mix due to it's super peak, but at the cost of timbre and tonal balance for sure. The Koss definitely has its shortcomings, but for the prices used ones go for, they are a steal. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #2,200 of 4,052
  Any good ESP 950 vendor / retailer in Europe? It is so hard to find any offers at all.

These guys will make a custom ear pad. I haven't tried it yet. they will do leather or velour.

vesperaudio.com

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #2,201 of 4,052
I originally planned on buying a Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, but due to living in Canada, I realized that I would be hit with customs, taxes, and all that fun stuff you can imagine. On top of that, with the Canadian dollar being on the low side, I decided I might as well purchase something else.

I saw a review of these on the front page and remembered these go on sale often on the Canadian Amazon, and I decided I will give these a shot the next time they go under 750 dollars. The sound signature itself sounds like it's right up my alley, but I'm a bit worried since I don't really have any experience with electrostatic headphones. Heck, I don't think I ever owned any full sized headphone even. I've only ever used portable sources, and most of my music are on my computer (Which will also be my main source for these). Should I invest in other things first, like a different amp,a dac or anything else? A computer isn't even a good source for these, or are they fine? I'm terribly ignorant when it comes to these things unfortunately. Hope this isn't too bothersome.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,202 of 4,052
I originally planned on buying a Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, but due to living in Canada, I realized that I would be hit with customs, taxes, and all that fun stuff you can imagine. On top of that, with the Canadian dollar being on the low side, I decided I might as well purchase something else.

I saw a review of these on the front page and remembered these go on sale often on the Canadian Amazon, and I decided I will give these a shot the next time they go under 750 dollars. The sound signature itself sounds like it's right up my alley, but I'm a bit worried since I don't really have any experience with electrostatic headphones. Heck, I don't think I ever owned any full sized headphone even. I've only ever used portable sources, and most of my music are on my computer (Which will also be my main source for these). Should I invest in other things first, like a different amp,a dac or anything else? A computer isn't even a good source for these, or are they fine? I'm terribly ignorant when it comes to these things unfortunately. Hope this isn't too bothersome.

You can certainly start out with the amp Koss includes...most people sick with it, though an upgraded power cord does help (Audio Advisors Pangea cords are relatively low cost upgraded to the generic power cord...I see Amazon had them as well). I'd also recommend an external DA converter...I use a Geek Out, but there are quite a few low cost options out there (and higher cost, better options as well, but one has to stay somewhere). Audioquest and Meridian are other not you expensive usb DA converters, CEntrance makes some that are a bit more, and so on. I'm sure you'll get more out of the 950 with a little upgrade to the system (I also use a lot of portable great...my Pono dap does line out...I often use it as a source into an amp).

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,203 of 4,052
upgraded power cord on a wall brick?

clearly you have never seen or listened to the koss esp950

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #2,204 of 4,052
You're correct, it's been a while since I used the E/90, I've been using a Stax SRM323II with an adapter cable. But I have a vague memory from some maybe a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years ago, when I first got it, tha @crazychile had recommended a power upgrade for the E/90, it did involve a better cable, must have been some other addition (or my incipient Alzheimers :wink: )

(just connected my LTA LPS as power supply, really nice, not sure if it is a good voltage, though).

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #2,205 of 4,052
You're correct, it's been a while since I used the E/90, I've been using a Stax SRM323II with an adapter cable. But I have a vague memory from some maybe a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years ago, when I first got it, tha @crazychile had recommended a power upgrade for the E/90, it did involve a better cable, must have been some other addition (or my incipient Alzheimers :wink: )

(just connected my LTA LPS as power supply, really nice, not sure if it is a good voltage, though).

Yes. I forget the details as well. I am currently using a different amp with my Koss, but the original "upgrade" was to buy an external ps for the Koss ( I think it came from Mouser) and then that psu would also accept a standard power cable . Anyway, the details are in this thread from about a year and a half ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back