Koss ESP-9 + /E.9 Energizer restore.
Jun 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bigbargain

New Head-Fier
I recently got some of the above phones off Craigslist. Got a pretty good price as they have problems. The original ower died and his sister was selling off his stuff. Needless to say, any problems I will find could range from simple to fatal. Who knows. I will try to document the restoration process here so others can benefit. Phisically everything looks good; pads seem to he holding, insides of the /E.9 looks all original. And I am missing the power cord, so I will have to switch to an IEC plug. This thread started out with some prepurchase questions, so if you want more details take a look at this post - I won't repeat its content. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/667877 So based on a bunch of reading and some feedback from a couple well informed HeadF's (wish they lived local), its clear my first step needs to be remove the cups so I can clean out any dry-rotted foam. I have searched and seen lots of photos of partially disassembled cans, but no one comments on any difficulty removing the pads (the first step to expose some screws). But mine seem to be attached very well (almost look like the edge of the pad is actually pinched between the crome ring and the rest of the can. Since mine don't leak and seem in pretty good shape, I don't want to beat them up trying to get them off. Can someone give me a more detailed explanation of how to remove them? THANKS! P.S. - My headphone interest is pretty recent. I've always been a traditional speakers, etc. guy, but recently finally thought about it and realized the potential of the controled listening space headphones offer. These, some Stax SR-40 and ADL H118's I won at the ChiUniFi last week (what a KEWL! surprise!) are my start. I may start a separate thread on the others as needed. I also have some Piorneer SE-50's from MANY years ago, but I don't expect many folks here will show them much respect.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi there:

I know this was an old post but I hope you got the ESP9s to work and sound fine.

My question is this: I am looking to hook up a pair to a Bryston 4B (old style). Will the common ground issue be a problem do you think?

Afraid I can't comment on those Pioneers.....I went onto AKGs K240DF which I use in my small recording studio... up to 3 pair now.

Hope you see this,

Thanks anyway.

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back