KOSS ESP/6
Jan 13, 2006 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

There is a pair of KOSS ESP/6 available locally in my country.
I've tried to gather some info on these cans on the net, but came up with very little.

Are there any old time electrostat aficionados around here who could help me? How much should one pay for a pair of these? They should be in good cosmetic and functional condition.

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I had a pair of these long, long ago. They contain the bias and step-up circuitry in the cans, so they were a bit bulky. For comfort, I would rate the ESP-6 about a minus 1. Sonically, they were ok for the time, but they did not compare to the ESP-9s I also had back then. Both the 6 and the 9 were extraordinarily uncomfortable. Those, in turn, were no where near as good or as comfortable as other electrostats I have owned.

Caution: there is a circuit board in each can containing tiny transformers with even smaller wire. Each can is packed with foam. This foam liquifies over time (like all rubber foam), and then corrodes the small-gauge wires leaving the transformers. This is how mine finally failed - internal corrosion from foam failure. You will need to open them and clean the mess.

I would not purchase the ESP-6 unless you are completing a collection, or are just curious, and they are very, very cheap. Interesting bit of history.

Good luck!

TC

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the informative reply, TLC.

I guess I'll pass this time.

I was interested because I read those are the first electrostatic headphones ever produced. So they must have some collector's value.

But I don't really want a piece of useless hardware gathering dust and corroding from the inside...
biggrin.gif
I'll rather just listen to my HF-1s...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Thanks for the informative reply, TLC.

I guess I'll pass this time.

I was interested because I read those are the first electrostatic headphones ever produced. So they must have some collector's value.

But I don't really want a piece of useless hardware gathering dust and corroding from the inside...
biggrin.gif
I'll rather just listen to my HF-1s...
smily_headphones1.gif

I would pass on those. Nearly all other stats will sound better then them and they are very uncomfortable.

Btw. the first electrostatic phone was the Stax SR-1 in 1959

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Just so people can appreciate how far we've come:

esp62.jpg

TC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back