Koss cans: most comfortable, best sound, <= $25
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

slag

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I own a pair of Shure e2c's and some clip-on phones that I can't read the brand of because they're worn down. The Shures are nice, but the isolation makes them impractical to use 60-70% of the time that I need headphones. The clip-ons have great sound, but they're only wearable for about an hour (if even that) before my ears start to throb in pain.

My budget is $25, including shipping. I realize that's not very great for quality cans, but I've heard excellent things about the Koss KSC75s, PortaPros, and PortaPro2s. Any of them can be obtained within my budget, although I'd have to wait on the PortaPros because currently there is no sale on them at that price.

Here's my question, and it's directed foremost to those who have owned all three of my budget options:

Which of my options are the "best," where the "best" is a combined value of comfort and sound quality? Comfort should be weighed slightly more heavily than sound quality here, because I need to be able to wear them happily for a few hours at a time, at least.

Secondary questions are for anyone who's owned any of the three headphones. How comfortable is your pair? What are the specific disadvantages to your model's design, and how long before they start to hurt?

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I will be using these almost exclusively for my portable DAP and laptop, so portability is a factor. Those look a little clunky.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 18
Try the Philips HP460.
Got mine today and I love them.

I'm going to do a comparison on these vs. the PX100's but not until my Sony MDR-710SL arrives. 3 is more fun than 2!

And yes, the HP430's and 460's are different.
Specs say the HP430 = 15HZ - 25000HZ as HP460 = 12 - 28000HZ.

Give the HP460's a try. Not much to lose with $30 shipped from Amazon.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Damn it, those HP460s look lovely!

Here I thought it was between the three Koss's. NOW what am I to do?
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 18
Wow, people reccomending something other than the KOSS 60ohms for under $25?! The KSC-75s are clip ons, but they're very light, very comfortable on me (and I have huge ears), and they're probably the most highly reccomended budget can on this board.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 18
That's what I figured. There are TONS of posts about the KSC75 cans.

So they're comfortable? I already have a pair of clip-ons and I HATE them (well, not sound-wise, but definitely comfort-wise.) Can you wear the Koss for hours and hours without getting sore ears?

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 18
I just got a pair of the ksc75s, and as surprised as I was at the sound (the BASS! I'm used to earbuds from years) I was even more surprised at how comfortable they are.

I have a pair of ubercrappy sportsstyle-type headphones I use for my computer since they have a long cord, and I can never get them comfortable with my glasses, and they don't sit right even without. (I don't really need to play Diablo for more than half an hour, do I?)

I figured these koss earclips might be similar, but they're not. They're incredibly comfortable, and they sit straight against my ears, no problem. The only possible complaint I could have is that they can be a little wonky to get on -- it takes me two hands, though I'm getting better.

In as much as I can recommend headphones to someone with a different head, I'd recommend these.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 18
KSC-75 clip is enclosed in very soft plastic, plus it's bendable... as far as clip-ons go, they probably are the most comfy ones. I wore them for more than 1 hour on many occasions, never had problems. (obviously YMMV)

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag
Damn it, those HP460s look lovely!

Here I thought it was between the three Koss's. NOW what am I to do?
tongue.gif

Would you like me to upload some in-depth pictures? ;D If you do want some pics, wait till tomorrow cause I don't feel like it today.
very_evil_smiley.gif

These sound much more punchier than the PX100's. And the PX100's are considered better than the KSC75's.

Thus, I enjoy these far more than my PX100's.

But of course, the KOSS KSC are $16 shipped. Can't get much better than that as the HP460's are twice he price... as well as the PortaPros.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 18
Well, I could entrepreneur these acclaimed HP460s (who knows, maybe they're the next KSC75) or I could go with the Koss phones and get a CD to boot, all within my budget.

Thoughts? I still don't trust the clip-ons. Has anyone worn them for 10+ hours?

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag
Well, I could entrepreneur these acclaimed HP460s (who knows, maybe they're the next KSC75) or I could go with the Koss phones and get a CD to boot, all within my budget.

Thoughts? I still don't trust the clip-ons. Has anyone worn them for 10+ hours?

ten hours straight? not many people have. but if you mean over its lifetime, I've used these clips for hundreds of hours and they've never let me down - i'm talking about the KSC-35 type, not the KSC-75 type.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 18
I've gone with the KSC75s on for about three hours straight at the longest time, and they're so light, that there was zero discomfort after I was done. I've only had these for under a week, so I haven't listened to them for too long just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back