Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Dec 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,501 of 1,681
  Hey guys, I really like the response for Kogan and I would like to experience it. Ritmix sounds like successor of Kogan, but can't find any international shop selling them. Is there any way how to buy them in Europe? If not, I will probbaly go for the A33. Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately they are only sold in some Russian shops. We need a Russian fellow head-fier to helps us getting Ritmix RF-7650. 
wink.gif

Newsmy A33 is very close to Ritmix in presentation only being a bit bassier and less powerful. You won't be disappointed with either of them. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,502 of 1,681

Unfortunately they are only sold in some Russian shops. We need a Russian fellow head-fier to helps us getting Ritmix RF-7650. 
wink.gif

Newsmy A33 is very close to Ritmix in presentation only being a bit bassier and less powerful. You won't be disappointed with either of them. 

Oh, thats exactly what I wanted to hear! Bassy is not problem for me and my IEMs are really easy to drive, so it shouldn't be problem. Thank you for your help!

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,503 of 1,681
  Oh, thats exactly what I wanted to hear! Bassy is not problem for me and my IEMs are really easy to drive, so it shouldn't be problem. Thank you for your help!

Just to clear things out: Newsmy A33 is not a bassy player. It is a bit bassier than Ritmix which can be considered neutral or bass light to some. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,504 of 1,681

Just to clear things out: Newsmy A33 is not a bassy player. It is a bit bassier than Ritmix which can be considered neutral or bass light to some. 

Thats no problem with me, KZ ATE is a little bit bassier in my opinion, so the output should be neutral to bit warmer of this combo Newsmy A33->KZ ATE. Also few minutes earlier I paid for **** UE which should be a bit better than ATE. My audiophile phase officialy started I think. So long my hard earned money...

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,505 of 1,681
Received my Newsmy A33 and it's really good for this price. It isn't superlative in any way, but sound is clear above average, separation is better than my other sources - iPad Mini, Lumia 920. I'll probably try to do a review in a few days. For now I can say it is pretty decent, UI isn't that tragic. Don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect or good, but you can figure it and use it without looking in just few minutes and live with it. Only downside for me is the continue feature when you want to resume playback from last position you listened to and it works only from internal 8Gb memory. Firmware version on my Newsmy is 1.3, didn't find source for firmware updates, so maybe it is already fixed in newer versions.
There is plenty of volume, built in amp is powerful enough even for headphones I think. On my KZ-ATE I use 08/30 for normal listening and maximum volume I use is 11/30. KZ-ATE opens up a little bit with this player, bass goes deeper in comparision with iPad Mini or my Lumia 920.

Some photos for interested.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,506 of 1,681
Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,507 of 1,681
  Received my Newsmy A33 and it's really good for this price. It isn't superlative in any way, but sound is clear above average, separation is better than my other sources - iPad Mini, Lumia 920. I'll probably try to do a review in a few days. For now I can say it is pretty decent, UI isn't that tragic. Don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect or good, but you can figure it and use it without looking in just few minutes and live with it. Only downside for me is the continue feature when you want to resume playback from last position you listened to and it works only from internal 8Gb memory. Firmware version on my Newsmy is 1.3, didn't find source for firmware updates, so maybe it is already fixed in newer versions.
There is plenty of volume, built in amp is powerful enough even for headphones I think. On my KZ-ATE I use 08/30 for normal listening and maximum volume I use is 11/30. KZ-ATE opens up a little bit with this player, bass goes deeper in comparision with iPad Mini or my Lumia 920.

Some photos for interested.

Pretty and shiny. Keep us posted please.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,509 of 1,681
What IEMs does everyone find particularly enjoyable eith the Kogan? I know for me, the Ety HF5 is what I use most with this.

Monk and CKR9 are the most enjoyable ones with my Ritmix RF-7650. Especially Monk has the best synergy.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,511 of 1,681
Huh, didn't think it'd have the power for the monk, unless you're using an amp

Actually Monk doesn't need an amp and the internal amp of Ritmix is powerful enough for Monk.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,512 of 1,681
Hello Fellas!

I have gone through few pages backwards and read about Kogan, Basic and 2 other iterations of this player for the first time. Glad, I browsed through the thread index in source gear forum. :)

So, my question is, Is Newsmy (even Basic) as good as the Kogan or Ritmix in terms of sound quality? Does Newsmy have build quality issues?

Also, I'm used to Sansa clip and fuze for long time. However since my Fuze died on me, I have never been happy with the UI on clip ZIP. I had set my sights on Ipod classic owing to it's clean, intuitive UI and bigger screen. Even today, for the money, I would go for it and use an external Dac/amp. I think, it's the best UI for my application. Bar none. However, as it stands right now, I can only spend about 100$ in a month or so. So, this seems to be a superb compromise (more so than a Xduoo X2 and X3 owing to their small screens). As in I won't get the wheel or touch-screen still for superfast navigation but I am happy with bigger screen. If some other player fits the bill, please suggest that.

Also, how does Ruizu X02 et al., weigh up in comparison with the Newsmy purely on SQ basis?

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,513 of 1,681
  Hello Fellas!

I have gone through few pages backwards and read about Kogan, Basic and 2 other iterations of this player for the first time. Glad, I browsed through the thread index in source gear forum. :)

So, my question is, Is Newsmy (even Basic) as good as the Kogan or Ritmix in terms of sound quality? Does Newsmy have buidl quality issues?

Also, I'm used to Sansa clip and fuze for long time. However since my Fuze died on me, I have never been happy with the UI on clip ZIP. I had set my sights on Ipod classic owing to it's clean, intuitive UI and bigger screen. Even today, for the money, I would go for it and use an external Dac/amp. I think, it's the best UI for my application. Bar none. However, as it stands right now, I can only spend about 100$ in a month or so. So, this seems to be a superb compromise (more so than a Xduoo X2 and X3 owing to their small screens). As in I won't get the wheel or touch-screen still for superfast navigation but I am happy with bigger screen. If some other player fits the bill, please suggest that.

Also, how does Ruizu X02 et al., weigh up in comparison with the Newsmy purely on SQ basis?

In terms of sound quality I think you will be surprised what you will get for 25USD. Clarity, pretty decent separation, plenty of power. What you definetely won't get is solid build quality or intuitive UI.

What is driving me crazy is the intuitivity. I get used to almost anything and I don't like it, but my brother hated it so much, he would rather use his old iPod Shuffle 1G. To get you understand I will take example of main menu and list of folders. Main menu is the grid of icons you see on AE listing photos. Listing of folders is listing, one under one another. In main menu you can use the LEFT/UP/RIGHT/DOWN buttons of the wheel, but in listing you move up and down with LEFT/RIGHT buttons. Does it make sense to you?

Build quality? Expect bad things. My button wheel is so loose, that from time to time I can't press right button. It doesn't rotate in its place, its just so wibbly wobbly.

For screen size don't expect something big or useful. You get the same amount of info as on xDuoo, but the leftover space of bigger screen is used for equalization, but because of the slow CPU in this player it is rather slideshow with framerate of cca 2fps. And the screen is 27 mm x 36 mm. Player looked pretty big to me in photos, but in real it's a lot smaller than what I expected.

I can't do comparision between Ruizu X02 and my Newsmy, but Newsmy is based on NanoC and X02 is NanoB. The C version should be premium model of Nano Rockchip multimedia chips, so the quality could be a little bit better. You can find more about that chip here: http://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/RK_Nano_Series/2013/0730/333.html

TL;DR - Is this player intuitive or good built? Not at all. Does it sound good? It does and you should buy one, because it is real bang for your bucks!

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #1,514 of 1,681

In terms of sound quality I think you will be surprised what you will get for 25USD. Clarity, pretty decent separation, plenty of power. What you definetely won't get is solid build quality or intuitive UI.

What is driving me crazy is the intuitivity. I get used to almost anything and I don't like it, but my brother hated it so much, he would rather use his old iPod Shuffle 1G. To get you understand I will take example of main menu and list of folders. Main menu is the grid of icons you see on AE listing photos. Listing of folders is listing, one under one another. In main menu you can use the LEFT/UP/RIGHT/DOWN buttons of the wheel, but in listing you move up and down with LEFT/RIGHT buttons. Does it make sense to you?

Build quality? Expect bad things. My button wheel is so loose, that from time to time I can't press right button. It doesn't rotate in its place, its just so wibbly wobbly.

For screen size don't expect something big or useful. You get the same amount of info as on xDuoo, but the leftover space of bigger screen is used for equalization, but because of the slow CPU in this player it is rather slideshow with framerate of cca 2fps. And the screen is 27 mm x 36 mm. Player looked pretty big to me in photos, but in real it's a lot smaller than what I expected.

I can't do comparision between Ruizu X02 and my Newsmy, but Newsmy is based on NanoC and X02 is NanoB. The C version should be premium model of Nano Rockchip multimedia chips, so the quality could be a little bit better. You can find more about that chip here: http://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/RK_Nano_Series/2013/0730/333.html

TL;DR - Is this player intuitive or good built? Not at all. Does it sound good? It does and you should buy one, because it is real bang for your bucks!

Hmmm.....I would like the SQ to be comapred to the Clip or Fuze to get a better sense of what to expect. :) No offense, Thanks anyway!

Yes, I saw that weird UI navigation in one of the videos I believe and I am ok with it considering the price. I think I'm claustrophobic and love spacious settings. I used to be so much more happy using Fuze than zip. I'm primarily looking for navigating the lists only and from what I saw, these daps can accomodate more than 3-4 rows and that in itself is enough for me. Now playing screen itself doesn't matter much to me.Honestly, there is no other reason for me to buy a new dap right now. I'm not the experimenting type. At-least, my wallet is not! :D  And I'm perfectly satisfied with SQ from Zip but if I can take this opportunity to buy a better sounding dap then, why not!

It's an absolute shame that the build quality is so inconsistent and not reliable for how good it (supposedly) sounds! And yea, I read about the SOC differences and I wondered about what it brings to the table.

After reading all this, maybe I'm better off buying a used classic or touch and use it with my Fiio E6. And the dream of all-powerful, functional, unified device in pocketable form factor still remains elusive! You might suggest Fiio Daps but I find them rather bulky and just can't get myself to even consider them (for the price). I might eventually do that but let it be noted, it will be with a heavy-heart. :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,515 of 1,681
Hmmm.....I would like the SQ to be comapred to the Clip or Fuze to get a better sense of what to expect. :) No offense, Thanks anyway!

Yes, I saw that weird UI navigation in one of the videos I believe and I am ok with it considering the price. I think I'm claustrophobic and love spacious settings. I used to be so much more happy using Fuze than zip. I'm primarily looking for navigating the lists only and from what I saw, these daps can accomodate more than 3-4 rows and that in itself is enough for me. Now playing screen itself doesn't matter much to me.Honestly, there is no other reason for me to buy a new dap right now. I'm not the experimenting type. At-least, my wallet is not! :D  And I'm perfectly satisfied with SQ from Zip but if I can take this opportunity to buy a better sounding dap then, why not!

It's an absolute shame that the build quality is so inconsistent and not reliable for how good it (supposedly) sounds! And yea, I read about the SOC differences and I wondered about what it brings to the table.

After reading all this, maybe I'm better off buying a used classic or touch and use it with my Fiio E6. And the dream of all-powerful, functional, unified device in pocketable form factor still remains elusive! You might suggest Fiio Daps but I find them rather bulky and just can't get myself to even consider them (for the price). I might eventually do that but let it be noted, it will be with a heavy-heart. :)

It is better than Clip or Fuze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back