Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #59,746 of 63,671
Thank you for your assessment, I am sold on them! Mine are on their way.
If mine (your reply is not directed), I would take as much responsibility as I can - AS16 pro should work well for your preferences for world music and acoustic jazz, I hope.
Out of my favourite IEMs, given my biased tastes, AS16 pro would be a safer universal recommendation along with TRI I3 and BA10 (based on their sound, minus other factors).

If to take I3 planar mids and replace 29689 in AS16 pro, it would make one of the mighty IEM.

AS16 pro mids are the best of all-BA KZ (BA10 are close) and are the main point where it can be transformed to a better IEM, I think (?)

Then you have TK2 - one of the closest match for 18 Ohm impedance on balanced, so you can make the best comparison and share your impressions.

Finally, thank you for your kind and insightful words on another thread. I do need to take a break from HeadFi, to disengage a bit.
For the only all-BA KZs that I own, the ASF has grown less appealing even though I dialed it in with the right tips/fit. I just think it sounds very "average" - not great but not terrible either. And it's also fussy with some of my sources unlike other KZs. But the AS12 has grown on me but it's also a specialty IEM like the Heart Mirror, which I also recently picked up. The AS12 is perfect for string quartets and solos - however, I don't have a lot of these kinds of recordings in my library. The HM is more of an all-arounder for classical music if I use them with Azla Crystal tips which seems bring up the bass a bit more.

The ASF only set me back like $24 at the time. And AS12 set me back like $22. 1 out of 2, for that price, isn't bad at all.

I'm tempted to get the AS16 Pro but I don't really need another IEM right now....and a store on Ali has it for $40 right now :rolling_eyes:
$40 is even better!
ASF are one of the blandest KZ all-BAs, perhaps less balanced mighty "new BA" bass, yet nothing really wrong with them, and I would still take them over the recent mighty KZ/CCA DDs.
AS12 and HM are a mighty and well-matched pair. If your music does not push lhe limits of the resolution of HM - then HM are definitely a sharply resolving DD closest to BAs. I love the fit.
No needs to upgrade.
I did not mention that AS16 pro are my "100-th" physical pair (counting duplicates and for parts/tests), but I can't grow even a second pair of ears. One more reason to take some break.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #59,747 of 63,671
If mine (your reply is not directed), I would take as much responsibility as I can - AS16 pro should work well for your preferences for world music and acoustic jazz, I hope.
Out of my favourite IEMs, given my biased tastes, AS16 pro would be a safer universal recommendation along with TRI I3 and BA10 (based on their sound, minus other factors).

If to take I3 planar mids and replace 29689 in AS16 pro, it would make one of the mighty IEM.

AS16 pro mids are the best of all-BA KZ (BA10 are close) and are the main point where it can be transformed to a better IEM, I think (?)

Then you have TK2 - one of the closest match for 18 Ohm impedance on balanced, so you can make the best comparison and share your impressions.

Finally, thank you for your kind and insightful words on another thread. I do need to take a break from HeadFi, to disengage a bit.

$40 is even better!
ASF are one of the blandest KZ all-BAs, perhaps less balanced mighty "new BA" bass, yet nothing really wrong with them, and I would still take them over the recent mighty KZ/CCA DDs.
AS12 and HM are a mighty and well-matched pair. If your music does not push lhe limits of the resolution of HM - then HM are definitely a sharply resolving DD closest to BAs. I love the fit.
No needs to upgrade.
I did not mention that AS16 pro are my "100-th" physical pair (counting duplicates and for parts/tests), but I can't grow even a second pair of ears. One more reason to take some break.
My gratitude was directed at you, I highlighted the relevant part, and instead of quoting, I copied, given that would not refer to your post I did not paste, and the option to qoute was not available once posted.

My taste for classical music included, I am sure I will enjoy listening to them.

Sometimes we have to give credit where it is due and you definitely deserve more credit for your contributions, and everything aside, I find your posts well thought through and informative. They display your knowledge and intellect for all (who choose to) to see.

I often ask people I train, "have you wondered why when you discover a new word, you tend to see it everywhere?" The truth is, it is right in front of us but we turn a blind eye to a lot and our acquisition of knowledge depends on how much we open our minds. Many will see what your posts have to offer in time.

I think a short break is all your time away should be, no more, otherwise you will be missed.

Ok, that is enough praise for one day!

Be well!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #59,748 of 63,671
My gratitude was directed at you, I highlighted the relevant part, and instead of quoting, I copied, given that would not refer to your post I did not paste, and the option to qoute was not available once posted.

My taste for classical music included, I am sure I will enjoy listening to them.

Sometimes we have to give credit where it is due and you definitely deserve more credit for your contributions, and everything aside, I find your posts well thought through and informative. They display your knowledge and intellect for all (who choose to) to see.

I often ask people I train, "have you wondered why when you discover a new word, you tend to see it everywhere?" The truth is, it is right in front of us but we turn a blind eye to a lot and our acquisition of knowledge depends on how much we open our minds. Many will see what your posts have to offer in time.

I think a short break is all your time away should be, no more, otherwise you will be missed.

Ok, that is enough praise for one day!

Be well!
But :ksc75smile:
If someone chooses to impart their knowledge with one hand while constantly slapping the recipient in the face with the other, eventually they will just be ignored regardless of how knowledgeable that someone is.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #59,749 of 63,671
Got my ZEX pro CRN in Monday.
I didn't discover the whole KZ debacle until Sunday and was going to send these back due to that, but I decided to give these a listen to and decided to hang on to them. I really like the fun, funky sound of these.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #59,750 of 63,671
But :ksc75smile:
If someone chooses to impart their knowledge with one hand while constantly slapping the recipient in the face with the other, eventually they will just be ignored regardless of how knowledgeable that someone is.
I get it, and I along with others have been on the receiving end of it. However, as I stated in my previous post, I make the request that he needs to dial down his belligerence.

I felt no need to repeat it here, because "a word to the wise is enough".

It is giving credit where it is due without taking the shine off it. Everything has its moment.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #59,751 of 63,671
Got my ZEX pro CRN in Monday.
I didn't discover the whole KZ debacle until Sunday and was going to send these back due to that, but I decided to give these a listen to and decided to hang on to them. I really like the fun, funky sound of these.
I'm using the ZEX Pro this morning.
I'm always reluctant to use them due to all of the negative brainwashing, but then once I actually put them on and play some music, I think they sound pretty good.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #59,752 of 63,671
I'm always reluctant to use them due to all of the negative brainwashing, but then once I actually put them on and play some music, I think they sound pretty good.
That's the thing. They do sound good. I guess I'll just swallow my principles and go with it because now I'm eye-ballin the AS16 pro's :rolling_eyes:

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #59,753 of 63,671
The KZ AS16 PRO arrived today. Super source dependent.......they sound great from the Shanling UA3, sound fantastic from the WM1A, but a little hot from the Walkman WM1Z. By far this is the best KZ tune I’ve come across?
7F0C9DC2-930A-4596-A9B9-BF59576B92A2.jpeg
I really appreciated your review on these Redcarmoose. I think I'm putting these on my "next to buy" list.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #59,755 of 63,671
KZ and CCA do a good job with pre-order coupons. I had no interest in getting the AS16 Pro, but then they dropped a coupon into the $40 range early on. Impulse buy achieved.
Win, win, win.....there is a preponderance on win in this thread!

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #59,756 of 63,671

PS: He's right about the competition in the lower-end being increasingly more difficult and KZ should worry.

If you look at this video carefully, he somehow teased a new IEM, basically that video is for glamorizing the recent collabs (he is not wrong about the high impedance source issue though, but his other points are just whack), AS16 Pro in the title cause it is somehow relevant plus some people in the community somehow really liked to witch hunt KZ. Also did he even listen to the IEM in the first place?

Also here's a proper AS16 Pro graph from Akros.
Screenshot_20220803-055413_Facebook.jpg

To be honest with AS16 Pro you somehow have two sound signature to please your ears. Midcentric (without impedance adapter) or U-shaped (with impedance adapter). I liked the later one the most, but I see some people in the community also liking the former one.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #59,757 of 63,671
All I can say is AS16 Pro makes me love listening to Live/Acoustic tracks, it's just so realistic and immersive to my ears its eargasmic really. I also listen to some pop and rock songs but I much prefer how DD handles those tracks.

I think this is it, the end goal of listening to this IEMs it makes you appreciate how the music is created (and I think KZ just did that with AS16 Pro even without the impedance adapter).

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #59,758 of 63,671
Zex Pro is very good. it have one flaw in certain parts of treble but other wise good for the price.
Like crin said, it was tuned to a point that the only way to upgrade it is by changing the drivers.
(basically both DD and BA have looong ass tooth that need to be replaced and later KZ did.)

Yes, the other driver is lowered in usage but its still there enough to make great layering effect on the music.
Small orchestra is really good for it.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #59,759 of 63,671
All I can say is AS16 Pro makes me love listening to Live/Acoustic tracks, it's just so realistic and immersive to my ears its eargasmic really. I also listen to some pop and rock songs but I much prefer how DD handles those tracks.

I think this is it, the end goal of listening to this IEMs it makes you appreciate how the music is created (and I think KZ just did that with AS16 Pro even without the impedance ada

I really appreciated your review on these Redcarmoose. I think I'm putting these on my "next to buy" list.
Done. Ordered the AS16 pro's with a silver/grey tripowin cable.
I just got these in today:
20220803_173550 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #59,760 of 63,671
deleted. Double post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back