Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 19, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #59,311 of 63,803
according to KZ, it is the exact same product :D you just get one pair instead of three.
To be fair the "balanced" version is supposed to be their newest DD, but at this price point, it's only interesting if it is really the only one you want.

At this point, I'd also wait to see more reviews for the CCA CRA+ and the KZ EDX Ultra before deciding which one I'd get
Thanks.
Saw that the EDA 3-pack being discounted to the same lower price as individual balanced and wondered if there was a reason other than the 3-pack not selling fast enough and retailers wanting to clear shelf space.
The downside of KZ releasing new models so frequently I guess.

May 22, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #59,313 of 63,803
The question is will they tune that planar(?) properly. Recent TRN releases aren't even that well known since they are still following an eccentric tuning. What will be the purpose of a novel or capable driver if it is not tuned that well. These days I ironically trust KZ more than TRN when it comes to tuning, crinacle really influenced their house sound.
Which recent TRN releases?

May 22, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #59,314 of 63,803
The question is will they tune that planar(?) properly. Recent TRN releases aren't even that well known since they are still following an eccentric tuning. What will be the purpose of a novel or capable driver if it is not tuned that well. These days I ironically trust KZ more than TRN when it comes to tuning, crinacle really influenced their house sound.

Well, the BAX and TA1 Max are both getting very good feedback so far (not much is out yet).
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-ta1-max-universal-in-ear-monitor.25854/reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-bax.25781/reviews

Yes, KZ has made an improvement in their recent tunings, but only after Crinacle and HBB provided input. Given they both got burned in the process, I don't think KZ is going to find it easy attracting further collaborations. It is fair to say that the current KZ releases are better than TRN's older models, but they are also better than KZ's older models. It is not a valid conclusion that TRN's next releases will not be similarly improved. This sector of audio is evolving at an amazing rate, how do 2018 IEM's compare to todays models?

We all have different preferences and budgets. I would personally dread if all manufacturers agreed on a perfect target sound signature, then just produced clones of it.

May 22, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #59,315 of 63,803
Well, the BAX and TA1 Max are both getting very good feedback so far (not much is out yet).
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-ta1-max-universal-in-ear-monitor.25854/reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-bax.25781/reviews

Yes, KZ has made an improvement in their recent tunings, but only after Crinacle and HBB provided input. Given they both got burned in the process, I don't think KZ is going to find it easy attracting further collaborations. It is fair to say that the current KZ releases are better than TRN's older models, but they are also better than KZ's older models. It is not a valid conclusion that TRN's next releases will not be similarly improved. This sector of audio is evolving at an amazing rate, how do 2018 IEM's compare to todays models?

We all have different preferences and budgets. I would personally dread if all manufacturers agreed on a perfect target sound signature, then just produced clones of it.
The review you've shown looks like an advertisement to me rather than a real review. Plus that's only one person have you seen the responses in other platforms like Facebook? They seem to be lukewarm about those IEMs you mentioned. I even see someone saying that the 5kHz is too hot with the BAX.

I am also not saying the TRN will not improve, they will improve in the future ofcourse, I'm just saying that with the tuning directions that KZ is doing right now they are a bit ahead than TRN, till now TRN still retain their own eccentric tuning- Vshaped either lots of treble or bass (TA1, V90S, etc.) that is a mixed bag in the community.

May 23, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #59,316 of 63,803
The review you've shown looks like an advertisement to me rather than a real review. Plus that's only one person have you seen the responses in other platforms like Facebook? They seem to be lukewarm about those IEMs you mentioned. I even see someone saying that the 5kHz is too hot with the BAX.

I am also not saying the TRN will not improve, they will improve in the future ofcourse, I'm just saying that with the tuning directions that KZ is doing right now they are a bit ahead than TRN, till now TRN still retain their own eccentric tuning- Vshaped either lots of treble or bass (TA1, V90S, etc.) that is a mixed bag in the community.
I can confirm the BAX is a big leap forward by TRN and I prefer it over the more expensive Moondrop Variations with 1 more BA on each side.

May 23, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #59,317 of 63,803

As I said, there is very little on those two releases available yet. Those were the only reviews on this site (which funnily enough, I tend to use as a source of information). Nothing reliable on YouTube either. I await your well considered opinions on those IEMs after you have heard them! Since it's a KZ thread, how about we avoid using it to slag off other manufacturers.

:deadhorse:

May 23, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #59,318 of 63,803
TRN do the simple but good move on to use "higher" quality drivers. Their tuning is still hit and miss but when it hits, its hits hard.
TRN TA1, and now TRN TA1 MAX is seems to be pretty damn good.
But you occasionally still have to deal with things like TRN TA2 which to plenty, nowhere as good as TA1.
Not sure about the QC tough, TRN used to have shittier QC compared to KZ. Hopefully it have improved.

KZ feels have one direction with that samey tuning with more drivers for a bit too long.
Thankfully, recently it tried to have different tuning by working with external tuner
and with the recent drama, it seems KZ is focusing on experimenting with tuning and trying new driver in single driver setup iem.

EDA is direct experimentation on three tuning. To KZ, tuning switch seems to be more expensive than simply making three iem.
CCA CRA is have pretty good positive reviews.
Early impression on the new EDX Ultra is pretty positive.
CCA CRA+ have a bit polarizing tuning but it also seems to be pretty source sensitive which add to the polarizing reviews.

To note, all the KZs above is $30 and less. TRN TA1 is $40 and dare to move up market with the better drivers set with pretty impressive result.

Hopefully after having new tuning direction and new drivers, KZ $40+ will be much better than before.
But as for now, TRN is daring to improve themselves to unprecedented height (and pricier).
And KZ still experiment in safe budget market and reorganizing their business plan.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #59,319 of 63,803
Ladies and Gents, welcome to the next weekly episodic release of the next KZ:

Presenting........ the KZ ESX:

284134856_1437223730042062_4430365734379288634_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/KZEarphones/posts/1437223876708714

So we have KZ ZEX, now ESX, what's next? KZ SEX?

May 25, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #59,320 of 63,803
May 25, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #59,321 of 63,803
Ladies and Gents, welcome to the next weekly episodic release of the next KZ:

Presenting........ the KZ ESX:

https://www.facebook.com/KZEarphones/posts/1437223876708714

So we have KZ ZEX, now ESX, what's next? KZ SEX?
according to their AliExpress store, it's a single 12mm liquid crystal driver developed in-house, so I guess it's a new version of the ZES driver.
It also looks like it's about 20 bucks.

EDIT: comparing graphs, it looks like a ZES with a spike around 7k, and I guess a few differences in sound texture due to the liquid crystal diaphragm.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #59,323 of 63,803
To enjoy commuting and free time while working (wait what?), I am looking for a fully wireless IEM. I love KZ, indeed as my daily driver IEM I use KZ ZS7, but it's less convenient to use while riding bike, going to places, shops, etc... So, since I love KZ, I am deciding between 2 KZ's. There are a few musts:
1. It has to send aptX HD and not AAC
2. It has to have the latest BT (5.2)
3. The charging box must have type-C USB

There are 2 candidates:
1653525592627.png

1653525618584.png

I've tried the SK10 (not pro) and I believe they are AAC, and also one thing that bugged me a lot is that the in-voice to announce things and warnings in the IEM is very low quality and sounds horrible. I don't want a voice like that all day. The BT 5.0 KZ cable has a nice voice, for example.
So there are 2: the top VX10 or the cheap option Z3. Which one you recommend and why?
Wasting $60 in a secondary IEM kind of hurts but if it's worth it I would buy it. I want to confirm the in-voice of these 2 is smooth and nice, and not recorded with a potato.

May 25, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #59,324 of 63,803
BT 5.2 may not provide you APTX-LL, HD, or Adaptive. Many KZ wireless have BT 5.2, but they cheap out at the codec, or bait and switch, whatever you call it. Got burnt from buying AZ09 pro; it has BT 5.2 but only has APTX (classic) codec.

May 25, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #59,325 of 63,803
BT 5.2 may not provide you APTX-LL, HD, or Adaptive. Many KZ wireless have BT 5.2, but they cheap out at the codec, or bait and switch, whatever you call it. Got burnt from buying AZ09 pro; it has BT 5.2 but only has APTX (classic) codec.
AZ09 Pro is not wireless, it has a wire although very thick and short. It's easy to guess that I'm looking for an IEM that has all inside, no extra dongles. AZ09 Pro specs say it has aptX HD, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back