Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 27, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #59,011 of 63,834
many thanks @kalo86 for your important opinion!
Does anyone have ZS6 and ZAX or ARIA Moondrop would be able to tell me if there are differences so important to evaluate a new purchase?
haven't tried ZAX and its been awhile since i tried ZS6.

but between ZS6 and Aria, i would choose Aria in heartbeat. different price bracket tough.
ZS6 is from KZ sibilant, piercing, eargrater era. (i might be sensitive to it but yeah)
Aria with its somewhat balanced sound, decent bass, great vocals, is better than ZS6.
ZS7 age better for me. If you could find it, that might be a good deal.

ZAX have its own following, people who purchase it seems to be satisfied with it.
CCA CKX is also around with supposedly better bass, better vocal, and smoother treble compared to ZAX.
Tough apparently zax have better soundstage and airier performance thanks to semi open design.

Mar 27, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #59,012 of 63,834
Crinacle jumped the ship because of the pressure. Pretty sad.

But the DQ6(S) thing didn't help KZ at all.
Crin kinda buckled but mostly said that it hit the graph target, it need better driver to upgrade, and found out that mostly or 90% of the sound is from the Dynamic driver.
The other two driver is functional but perform way less than Crin expect as he found out on its crossover setup.

ZEX pro is pretty damn great, i use Aria and zex pro sparingly,
and other than zexpro slightly wonky treble part, i don't miss aria much when i use it.
Its separation and coherence is pretty damn good, something that outperform even the aria.
---

this sounds superb in ZexPro and the main reason why i don't believe Zex pro is single driver.
IF its single driver thats one hell of single driver to have that degree of separation and layering.

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #59,013 of 63,834
So, basically, it turns out that KZ's explanation that their other drivers are useful for improving technicalities despite their low volume output was...entirely correct, and the IEM community made complete clowns of themselves. Again.

When an extremely reputable manufacturer like DUNU comes out and says every expensive Sonion EST IEM (including their own) behaves in the exact same way, I'm gonna say that the case is closed.

And this re-explains the differences that are clearly present between KZs with different driver counts despite same-looking frequency graphs and overall tuning.
Very true!
ZEX pro drivers are real.
DQ6 original are great IEM, one of the best performance/price.
Then CRA are amazing for the money, not my preferred sound, but I got 5 pairs to give as presents.
So KZ seems to be unbeatable by IEMs, so the rumours are the only resort, the echo of the toxic cancel culture (?)

On another note, I do not have ZS6, while Aria and ZAX are different animals. ZAX are a hybrid and great with resolution, one of the best treble to my ears.
Aria are a single DD, smooth, Harman-like, almost boring, if not for some spicing around 5 Kz.

I do respect Aria tuning (and the build is great, and the box), a good reference point for my collection.
But then for smooth IEMs, AST > TRI I3 > Aria to me.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #59,014 of 63,834
When I discovered (before the drama) that DQ6 6 mm DDs didn't work, I didn't get angry at all. I don't care too much about the quantity of drivers, but about the sound it emits.

I understand people mad about it, but I think we need to give a clear signal to KZ that the drivers don't matter but the sound. People shouldn't pressure KZ to "fix" the DQ6 with the 3 drivers working, but re-releasing the DQ6S as what it really is, a great single DD iem (with a better shell).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #59,015 of 63,834
So, basically, it turns out that KZ's explanation that their other drivers are useful for improving technicalities despite their low volume output was...entirely correct, and the IEM community made complete clowns of themselves. Again.

When an extremely reputable manufacturer like DUNU comes out and says every expensive Sonion EST IEM (including their own) behaves in the exact same way, I'm gonna say that the case is closed.

And this re-explains the differences that are clearly present between KZs with different driver counts despite same-looking frequency graphs and overall tuning.
I kind of assumed all of the popular reviewers knew how all of the different drivers worked, so if what DUNU said is accurate, then I just have to laugh at myself for taking these reviewers's opinions somewhat seriously.

Mar 27, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #59,016 of 63,834
CCA CRA treble has more texture and spacious with the filters totally removed. not sibilant at all since it's not BA.
That couldn't be further from the truth

Mar 27, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #59,017 of 63,834
haven't tried ZAX and its been awhile since i tried ZS6.

but between ZS6 and Aria, i would choose Aria in heartbeat. different price bracket tough.
ZS6 is from KZ sibilant, piercing, eargrater era. (i might be sensitive to it but yeah)
Aria with its somewhat balanced sound, decent bass, great vocals, is better than ZS6.
ZS7 age better for me. If you could find it, that might be a good deal.

ZAX have its own following, people who purchase it seems to be satisfied with it.
CCA CKX is also around with supposedly better bass, better vocal, and smoother treble compared to ZAX.
Tough apparently zax have better soundstage and airier performance thanks to semi open design.
+1 for ZS7. It seems to be available here:
https://gbr.grandado.com/products/c...zst-1?variant=UHJvZHVjdFZhcmlhbnQ6MjI2OTU1MzY

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #59,018 of 63,834
Today I bought my first Chi-Fi IEM since late 2020 and Moondrop SSP. $15 for KZ DQ6 on Linsoul, I hope they are worth the money and I don't care if they are tribrid, hybrid or whatever, I just want them to sound nice and fun :wink: After all, the music matters.
Fun fact: KZ's own ZSR was my first IEM that pushed me into this rabbit hole, some 4 years ago. I don't know if their 2 BA drivers were disconnected, dampened or not, but they sound nice and fun and I still enjoy them a lot.

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #59,019 of 63,834
Today I bought my first Chi-Fi IEM since late 2020 and Moondrop SSP. $15 for KZ DQ6 on Linsoul, I hope they are worth the money and I don't care if they are tribrid, hybrid or whatever, I just want them to sound nice and fun :wink: After all, the music matters.
Fun fact: KZ's own ZSR was my first IEM that pushed me into this rabbit hole, some 4 years ago. I don't know if their 2 BA drivers were disconnected, dampened or not, but they sound nice and fun and I still enjoy them a lot.
Nice deal on that! If you find the treble a bit sharp, then you can try the foam filter mod, many praise it.

I totally agree on the music part, heck, no matter the gear, Fox Stevenson always gets me dancing!

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #59,022 of 63,834
I'd like an explanation from the headphone companies about what was just revealed. If the EST-drivers and magnetostat-drivers are ONLY used for tuning, then wouldn't that mean you can't hear THEM but only the effect they have on the other drivers (Dynamic and BA)? If so, what's the point of talking about the 'sound characteristics' of EST-drivers? You wouldn't be able to hear them. Or if my line of thought is wrong, an explanation that can be understood by a layman would be nice. Would that mean these drivers work a bit like noice cancelling and block out certain frequencies and enchance others?
I don't think one should criticize reviewers for not knowing the tech well enough though. That isn't their purpose. They are deciding if the sound of the headphone is to their liking or not.

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #59,023 of 63,834
OK KZ Fans, Pods feeling a little KZ Forward coming on and I'm offering up 3 Vintage KZ's for those who would like to have them and I'll even ship as long as it's under $8 (which was probably very close to all of their prices when released) :wink:

So I'd like to give all three away but please one each for 3 lucky participants :grin: 1st PM for the one you want gets them :thumbsup:

1st we have the ZN1 with the awesome rubber garden hose cable :rolling_eyes: Comes with a KZ QDC cable as a bonus!
2nd is my color coded ZS4's w/Iron Man TRN gold balanced cable, comes with spare KZ Bronze cable for SE:slight_smile:
3rd is the original ZST in Carbon w/silver SP cable w/matching carbon barrel, tossed in a carbon matching SE cable:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

KZ Forward.jpg

First 3 responses with your first pick gets them, also let me know if you would like me to announce you as the winner of which one or you can just chill and be all:sunglasses: I'll also respond as soon as all three are spoken for, will come in KZ cases and be packed in bubble packets :beerchug: Seems like a fair deal :dizzy_face:
Bump Announcement: Jansvast of Slovakia is now (or will be when the postman gets by) the owner of that pristine pair of original ZST's :beerchug: Other two are on the block still :wink: Figured there would be a few collectors interested :thinking:

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #59,024 of 63,834
I don't think one should criticize reviewers for not knowing the tech well enough though. That isn't their purpose. They are deciding if the sound of the headphone is to their liking or not.
Well I think part of the problem is that some reviewers write their headphone/earphone/cable reviews with the tone of authority that isn't necessary deserved. While they don't really use scientific language per se, they use technical language and combine it with some rather flowery descriptions that get them readers/followers, and I think can confuse a lot of people since how things really work can be obscured and over-simplified (or mis-understood), and some readeres can come away from a review thinking they know more than they really do about a product or technology. You can get an appreciation of how complex testing and making headphones is from talks like this:

It's not easy! I also get the impression that some companies don't want to talk too much about their tech so that they don't "give it away" so to speak. (Since Samsung acquired HARMAN in 2016, things seem to have quieted down in terms of their R&D people publicly talking about audio technology measurements and headphone/speaker designs.) Especially since there is a lot of IP theft that goes on, both within the borders of countries and internationally, I can see why companies might be keeping quiet. But I don't have any problem holding reviewers feet to the fire for implying they know more than they do. Consumers are confused enough to start with and don't need over-confident reviewers using vague language to make things even more confusing. It'd be nice to see reviewers take a more investigate approach and ask companies questions about their products to try to shed some light on things too.

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #59,025 of 63,834
I'd like an explanation from the headphone companies about what was just revealed. If the EST-drivers and magnetostat-drivers are ONLY used for tuning, then wouldn't that mean you can't hear THEM but only the effect they have on the other drivers (Dynamic and BA)? If so, what's the point of talking about the 'sound characteristics' of EST-drivers? You wouldn't be able to hear them. Or if my line of thought is wrong, an explanation that can be understood by a layman would be nice. Would that mean these drivers work a bit like noice cancelling and block out certain frequencies and enchance others?
If the reviewers don't understand something and post something online blaming a company they should be blamed for misleading the viewers and damaging the reputation of the company. In most cases they should even face a lawsuit of committing a slander.

Anyway, you can consider these drivers as low volume speakers and they usually are audible despite being a few tenths of dB lower in output. They are being claimed inaudible by reviewers including crinacle and delta fyre because they likely used incorrect approaches and jumped into conclusions ( not saying the IEM makers are 100% not adding drivers for driver counts ) such as:

1. Assuming SPL (IEC coupler) a sufficient tool to describe the sound - if no change after disconnecting some drivers then the drivers are fake - if this is true, all IEMs with similar SPLs should sound the same;
2. Did not A/B the IEMs before and after disconnecting the driver - they should have added switches to the drivers or simlly get an extra copy. Since they can't remember the sound before the disconnection, they used their SPLs. Also, SPL of each individual drivers should have been measured so we can identify if there is a blocked sound path or a dead driver.
3. Assumed if the drivers are a few tenths of dB lower than the main diver then it is not audible but of course they are.
4. Misunderstanding of the "crossover" circuit - it is never really a crossover as you can not apply low pass filter to the limited space of an IEM, also the high pass filters tame frequencies on the upper end of the spectrum not the lower so they are also not really used as a real crossover. In other words, in most cases you are going to see the SPL of the DD in a hybrid set if it is measured.
5. Misleading information from the IEM makers - such as calling the PCB circuit a crossover or calling a driver boosting vocal clarity etc.
6.Also, crinacle should have tested with different resistors or no resistor before the driver to support his view of not utilising the driver enough. I assume some BA timbre can be recovered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kae0
Back