Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 22, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #57,946 of 63,796
I wonder how the old 18$ CCA C10 does Vs. the new budget KZs.
I have a feeling they provide similar value...
Most of them ... Yeah. Out of all kz i have tried only 3 stand out is DQ6 (subbass focus), ZSN/ZST (mostly piercing treble), ZEX/NRA. Most kz is just V shape with so so detail/res. But if you can eq them, they're extremely good, so sad that i sold my ZAX and didn't try to eq them.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #57,948 of 63,796
Yup I don't have IEC 711 coupler. I measure just for fun with my DIY rig.
IEC711 tend to give false peak on 8kHz.
Its because we are aiming to have the peak at 8k to match insertion depth.

Some are false alarm, some have a real peak there. Like the ZEX Pro.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #57,949 of 63,796
I wonder how the old 18$ CCA C10 does Vs. the new budget KZs.
I have a feeling they provide similar value...
Zex pro reminds me of CCA C10 sound. The Zex pro has more sparkly treble and I can hear an emphasize on the treble on some tracks that is really annoying to my ears. I haven't burned it yet so it might change.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #57,950 of 63,796
Its because we are aiming to have the peak at 8k to match insertion depth.

Some are false alarm, some have a real peak there. Like the ZEX Pro.
seem like we are a bit off topic.
Here are the mic I use. The FR of the mic is as flat as possible so it does not color the measurement.
So there is no need to matching at 8k.
Many measurement with IEC711 have 8k peak, almost 80% of it.
1640187089475.png

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #57,952 of 63,796
Many measurement with IEC711 have 8k peak, almost 80% of it.
Its a standard to have it at 8k.

graph (62).png

Inserting it deeper will have that peak at over 8k and shallover will be under 8k.

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #57,953 of 63,796
Is it possible to calibrate it to satisfy the IEC 60318 standard?
You must be kidding, is a 'DIY' project, when trying to meet this kind of standard, it will never achievable with single man DIY works.
I believe the copy IEC711 coupler from internet shopping will not comply to the standard.

Futher Reading bout the standard.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphone-measurements-the-new-standard-part-1.937301/

Have fun and enjoy this hobby, stop worrying bout standard.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #57,954 of 63,796
There’s no need to be dismissive. Standardising for an 8K peak and ensuring that the measurement equipment at least tries to comply, or purportedly complies to a standard (which btw is itself defined by a manufacturing specification) is important for comparing FR charts across reviewers.

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #57,955 of 63,796
You must be kidding, is a 'DIY' project, when trying to meet this kind of standard, it will never achievable with single man DIY works.
I believe the copy IEC711 coupler from internet shopping will not comply to the standard.

Futher Reading bout the standard.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphone-measurements-the-new-standard-part-1.937301/

Na, I don't mean a serious calibration. The calibration file contains amplitude offsets at different frequencies so I think it is possible to match your SPL graphs against those measured with an IEC 711 coupler. Your rig even have the advantage of identity true peak near 8k since there is no resonance to worry about. I personally only look at the features of these graphs like for peaks and extensions so I don't think it is important to be too accurate.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #57,957 of 63,796
B84D4AF8-8DD1-42BB-951D-3009FC068391.jpeg

Been listening to the CCA CRA today and although it’s not perfect, I’m enjoying it so far. The only real issue with it is its relatively lean note weight and its (perhaps related) tendency towards harshness in the upper-mids and treble, particularly at higher listening volumes. In exchange, there is a fair amount of clarity and macrodetail on tap, although complex, busy arrangements might still meld together. The CRA has a mild V-shaped signature that leans towards brightness. Sub-bass is present but mild, certainly less than what the XUN driver is able to produce. Midbass is elevated but restrained. Lower mids are slightly recessed; male vocals could benefit from a tad more depth and presence. Upper mids are emphasised, but female vocals still sound fairly realistic and not “glassy” or seemingly floating above everything else in the mix. The treble is, to my ears, actually properly tuned. Cymbals are correctly reproduced with an initial strike and subsequent decay, rather than as a hissing sound. The CRA are also fairly airy sounding, especially for a budget IEM, with surprisingly decent instrument separation and soundstage width in this segment.

This album is particularly enjoyable on the CRA. Guitar-led Japanese rock.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #57,959 of 63,796

Good to know I’m not imagining and conjuring up my hype-bubble bursting criticisms :)

I kind of hope my shipment gets lost so I can apply for a refund.
It says, "arrived at destination country", but it's been stuck for almost 2 weeks.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #57,960 of 63,796
B84D4AF8-8DD1-42BB-951D-3009FC068391.jpeg

Been listening to the CCA CRA today and although it’s not perfect, I’m enjoying it so far. The only real issue with it is its relatively lean note weight and its (perhaps related) tendency towards harshness in the upper-mids and treble, particularly at higher listening volumes. In exchange, there is a fair amount of clarity and macrodetail on tap, although complex, busy arrangements might still meld together. The CRA has a mild V-shaped signature that leans towards brightness. Sub-bass is present but mild, certainly less than what the XUN driver is able to produce. Midbass is elevated but restrained. Lower mids are slightly recessed; male vocals could benefit from a tad more depth and presence. Upper mids are emphasised, but female vocals still sound fairly realistic and not “glassy” or seemingly floating above everything else in the mix. The treble is, to my ears, actually properly tuned. Cymbals are correctly reproduced with an initial strike and subsequent decay, rather than as a hissing sound. The CRA are also fairly airy sounding, especially for a budget IEM, with surprisingly decent instrument separation and soundstage width in this segment.

This album is particularly enjoyable on the CRA. Guitar-led Japanese rock.

What would you recommend for pop, Rnb, & alternative tracks, cra or zex pro? Budget limited atm so can only afford one. Tia 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back