Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 6, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #57,016 of 63,834
I own the DQ6 and use it every day now. I'm thinking of buying the CCA NRA. Do you think its a waste of money?
No.. This is a hobby man, however it is Def a side grade but a slightly different sound sig. If it is a waste of money is up to you, if you like collecting some of these sets. The plus is... These do not cost very much and you are getting sound quality that costed much much more not very long ago. NRA is a good budget set as is EDX Pro as well as ZEX, truthfully the list goes on and on man.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #57,018 of 63,834
In my opinion, it is the magnetostat that makes KZ ZEX one of the best in the category of around € 20. They are brutally fun and balanced at the same time. The right choice of tips is important, I recommend BGVP W01. I wish everyone a pleasant experience. CCA NRA suffers from a lack of bass, but it was just a warm-up with this species of driver. I own them both, so I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #57,019 of 63,834
I've got the KZ VX10 coming tomorrow. Anyone have any tips on setting them up with an LG V60 and Poweramp?

I'm a happy owner of the ZSX and ZAX. With a little EQing they sound great and are a great value, which is why I decided to stay with KZ for TWS.

Any reason why I should return them an pick a different pair (Soundpeats H1)?

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #57,020 of 63,834
In my opinion, it is the magnetostat that makes KZ ZEX one of the best in the category of around € 20. They are brutally fun and balanced at the same time. The right choice of tips is important, I recommend BGVP W01. I wish everyone a pleasant experience. CCA NRA suffers from a lack of bass, but it was just a warm-up with this species of driver.
Zex scales pretty well also. I put an spc balanced cable on and they opened up a hair more. Granted they do sound very good on single ended. You are right, a solid budget set for sure

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #57,021 of 63,834
I've got the KZ VX10 coming tomorrow. Anyone have any tips on setting them up with an LG V60 and Poweramp?

I'm a happy owner of the ZSX and ZAX. With a little EQing they sound great and are a great value, which is why I decided to stay with KZ for TWS.

Any reason why I should return them an pick a different pair (Soundpeats H1)?
I can tell you straight up... The H1 are one helluva set of tws for the price and I'd stack them over any set in the price point for pure SQ. And now they have an app and firmware updates. They really are a good set

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #57,024 of 63,834
As blasphemous as it sounds, I consider the difference between ZEX (€ 20) and AST (€ 100 +) to be abysmal, because AST are IEMs with terrible mid-frequencies, absent heights and tragic timbre. It is precisely these properties that ZEX handles perfectly.
I noticed that at one time it was common to mock kz ast, and, it seems to me, the claims are groundless. Yes, ast may doesn't have a brilliance \ sparkle and a nasal mids, but it seems to me that they are more balanced than many of their competitors. However, I bought them at a discount, for only $80 or even less. I have both nra, and zex, and mele, gk10, zas and a bunch of other inexpensive things. maybe it all depends on the music we listen to, and some are suitable, and some are not, while my collection is quite wide. but I would like to note that ast is one of the most versatile iems that I've heard lately, besides, they play almost the same with different sources.

however, I want to note that nra and zex are very successful models, i like them a lot. but noise isolation is pretty weak and this ones are not suitable for commuting, especially trains. I'm waiting for the pro version, maybe it will be even more coherent and balanced.
I would like to see a more expensive model from kz, in the way of zas/ast, but with a dynamic from zex and a set of 50024s

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #57,025 of 63,834
I noticed that at one time it was common to mock kz ast, and, it seems to me, the claims are groundless. Yes, ast may doesn't have a brilliance \ sparkle and a nasal mids, but it seems to me that they are more balanced than many of their competitors. However, I bought them at a discount, for only $80 or even less. I have both nra, and zex, and mele, gk10, zas and a bunch of other inexpensive things. maybe it all depends on the music we listen to, and some are suitable, and some are not, while my collection is quite wide. but I would like to note that ast is one of the most versatile iems that I've heard lately, besides, they play almost the same with different sources.

however, I want to note that nra and zex are very successful models, i like them a lot. but noise isolation is pretty weak and this ones are not suitable for commuting, especially trains. I'm waiting for the pro version, maybe it will be even more coherent and balanced.
I would like to see a more expensive model from kz, in the way of zas/ast, but with a dynamic from zex and a set of 50024s
Indeed. AST merit, even though a full BA IEM, is the timbre and versatility. The easy capability to EQ it is also undermined. Stock tuning is treble shy, fatigue free, but you can adjust that with small effort and it is very far from the mess ASX is.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #57,026 of 63,834

I've never tried out the AST. Interesting to read what you think of them. I strayed away from them simply because of the many reviews trashing them.
Also, agree with you about the Zex, a very nice set which hopefully shows a glimpse of the future for a 80-100 dollar set. I love the ZAS and you are right it would be cool to see KZ step up thier game with the Mag Driver in addition to maybe a good BA

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #57,027 of 63,834
I've never tried out the AST. Interesting to read what you think of them. I strayed away from them simply because of the many reviews trashing them.
Also, agree with you about the Zex, a very nice set which hopefully shows a glimpse of the future for a 80-100 dollar set. I love the ZAS and you are right it would be cool to see KZ step up thier game with the Mag Driver in addition to maybe a good BA
its interesting to read AST review. it is unique all BA system.
An all BA that somehow considered too Bassy and have treble roll-off.
Known to have good resolution and like lushmelody said, EQ'd, it will be pretty awesome set.
--
But as i haven't heard it myself, everytime i asked reviewers whether in AST price range, is it the one they'll buy?
most answers, "its not bad, great technicality but it is not the one i'm gonna buy."
then talks about tonality and timbre start to pops out.
--
Anyhow all eyes is on KZ ZEX Pro Tribid or possible future KZ ZS12 Tribid

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #57,028 of 63,834
its interesting to read AST review. it is unique all BA system.
An all BA that somehow considered too Bassy and have treble roll-off.
Known to have good resolution and like lushmelody said, EQ'd, it will be pretty awesome set.
--
But as i haven't heard it myself, everytime i asked reviewers whether in AST price range, is it the one they'll buy?
most answers, "its not bad, great technicality but it is not the one i'm gonna buy."
then talks about tonality and timbre start to pops out.
Exactly, I've been wanting a good all BA set in the budget range and honestly we do not have much to choose from and it seems most issues are centered around tonality and timbre or lack of low end which throws off the mix, metallic outer edge of the highs. These things have kept me from purchasing but I suspect that a set like the AST can be an acquired taste and maybe even a good buy, and so it is interesting to see a different point of view. You are right though, treble roll off and too much bass? It is odd. Nothing wrong with a lil eq, nothing wrong with seeing what these drivers are capable of.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #57,029 of 63,834
Thought the magnetostat would bring some major sound difference, but impressions here proved it doesnt at all. Community feedback amazing for saving money
It doesn’t bring a major difference in sound signature, but for a hybrid the ZEX still does sound more coherent and less metallic than a similarly priced 1DD + 1BA set. Nonetheless I still find the mids to be pretty lean and one-dimensional, and the included tips are trash.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #57,030 of 63,834
Indeed. AST merit, even though a full BA IEM, is the timbre and versatility. The easy capability to EQ it is also undermined. Stock tuning is treble shy, fatigue free, but you can adjust that with small effort and it is very far from the mess ASX is.
The EQ capability of the AST is the best argument for the AST. Today I sat myself down and used my AST with my Zishan Z3. With just minimal EQ, I could get it to sound how I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back