Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #56,701 of 63,670
While I wait to see if my color coded CCA NRA dreams are smashed by the Zex having better tuning. I managed to grab a Tri Starsea for $75 and possibly a pair of NiceHCK NX7 MK3s for $80. I'd say that was a good haul, yeah?

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #56,702 of 63,670
While I wait to see if my color coded CCA NRA dreams are smashed by the Zex having better tuning. I managed to grab a Tri Starsea for $75 and possibly a pair of NiceHCK NX7 MK3s for $80. I'd say that was a good haul, yeah?
One thing to note: despite being fairly sensitive and moderately low impedance, the Starsea really need some decent current to have any bass to speak of. Just go ahead and start off on low volume, high gain and work up from there. I have been generally pleased by how the Starsea handle their mids and treble, though. Very competent in that regard. I've always been curious about the NX7 Mk.3, so you definitely got an interesting set at a pretty good deal. You'll have to let us know how you like their piezo tweeters that they've refined over three generations of that set.

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #56,703 of 63,670

That's going to keep you entertained for a bit, definitely.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #56,704 of 63,670
That's going to keep you entertained for a bit, definitely.
I was definitely thinking so, I'm kind of excited over the MK3 more I think. It just sucks I have to get a matching cable and matching ear tips, but $80 was too hard to pass up. I was kind of surprised they did an interchangeable nozzle, I head it really doesn't do much for some people. The Moondrop Kato that's coming is what I thought brought that idea out. Then I have too many options to mess with the Starsea, hopefully the resin is a nice purple and blue.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #56,705 of 63,670
One thing to note: despite being fairly sensitive and moderately low impedance, the Starsea really need some decent current to have any bass to speak of. Just go ahead and start off on low volume, high gain and work up from there. I have been generally pleased by how the Starsea handle their mids and treble, though. Very competent in that regard. I've always been curious about the NX7 Mk.3, so you definitely got an interesting set at a pretty good deal. You'll have to let us know how you like their piezo tweeters that they've refined over three generations of that set.
Hey, thank you for that. The tactile feel of bass and my ears don't easily fatigue make it fun to really tune things, I have a very high tolerance to bass and sibilance, usually my output is on the high side. Have you read much into piezo-tech on the audio side, I haven't even realized it was quite a thing? It's really interesting and could be extremely useful for ESTs/MSTs I'd feel if done right. Pretty much frequential waves flexing a metal sheet help create the tune instead of a BA perse mimicking/emitting the the frequency if I recall, is that it? Though if someone could correct me that'd be great. It's wonderful if it'll give it a lot of actual flexibility and depth to character to music if its done right, but from what I've read the MK3 does seem to be a partially empty mixed bag some people love it and some people feel very let down. I'll definitely let everyone know what I think once I break 100+ hours on some sets. I wanted to compare different driver compensations to each other. ESTs/MSTs still excite me a bit still. I can't wait to see some quad-brids, and affordable ones hopefully, and hopefully more thought put into nozzles. The BLON-03 could have really used something like nozzle tech.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #56,707 of 63,670
They updated the KZ ZEX page on AliExpress. It says the second driver is a dual magnetic dynamic, different from the triple magnetic found on the CCA NRA. Maybe they use the same driver as the KZ EDX Pro.

Interesting catch. Maybe they are a little different. Not enough evidence yet. The first comment I saw comparing them said the ZEX sounds better and has more bass than NRA. Just a one sentence comment and it is early.

There it is by the way...
1632748630899.png

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #56,711 of 63,670
I think the EDX Pro might have some unit variance issues, so caveat emptor. Mine seem to be better than @TheVortex describes. More importantly though, they work fine out of the box whereas the OG EDX really needs a cable swap and decent eartips to give its best. I received the EDX Pro and the CCA NRA today. Had a listen to the NRA and put it away. The EDX Pro got about 4 hours of listening.

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #56,712 of 63,670
I think the EDX Pro might have some unit variance issues, so caveat emptor. Mine seem to be better than @TheVortex describes. More importantly though, they work fine out of the box whereas the OG EDX really needs a cable swap and decent eartips to give its best. I received the EDX Pro and the CCA NRA today. Had a listen to the NRA and put it away. The EDX Pro got about 4 hours of listening.

Possible unit variance but to early to tell. I do prefer the EDX Pro over the OG EDX but I just was not wowed by them. I have done a comparison video but it's not live yet.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #56,713 of 63,670
Decided to grab an NRA since I wanted a teal colored IEM and the ASTs went with my black and gold stuff. Replaced the tips for (M) foam. I normally wear a Spinfit CP240/CP100+. The foams gave me a better feel, probably because the isolation of air movement of the foam compared to silicone and the soundstage opened up a little more nicely. I also swapped the cable out for a 400-core 4-braid SPC cable and it really helped everything shine a little more for me and helped with the tonality. So far my only issue is I notice crashing/sibilance when cranked high. I have a very high tolerance to treble and bass, as well as sibilance which I enjoy from time to time. The mids on mine are fantastic, and I think female/feminine vocals, especially harder ones are a bit of a surprise for me on them. Their vocals pack more of a punch than I'm used to and I enjoy it for how cheap these are. The bass was the part I was excited and worried about, being CCA as well, but its nice. It feels like pancake instead of a tight punch or a slap, which is refreshing since my other IEMs love pushing bass. I'd pay $45 tops for these, at $24 they were a steal. My biggest concern is I have heard variances between their NRAs, mostly rigidity, not so much sound?

Attachments

• 20210928_154214-01.jpeg
    20210928_154214-01.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #56,714 of 63,670
Edx pro reporting

052AFE78-7CF5-427D-B3D5-616C8A950801.jpeg

Gorgeous look for $14, good bass decay, need a slight tone adjustment to give weight, mids and vocal quite shouty and sibilant (eq down few dB to control it) and okay treble (what do you expect at this price point), average soundstage/imaging, but once tweaked very engaging Set especially for the price.. but without eq I take DQ6 over this 😁

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #56,715 of 63,670
There is unbox KZ ZEX vids in youtube

From the comments
I just got mine yesterday! I agree that the soundstage isnt the widest. However I really love the low frequency sound the zex gives. I can also hear the mids clearly. Overall clarity is good so is the sound separation. The sound from Zex is warm which means its suitable for Blues, EDM or music that has lots of bass. These are my opinion to this IEM.

Hello. Thank you, Separation is Good, Soundstage is kinda moderate, its not the widest, Good amount of Bass than CCA NRA if you have tried that, Highly recommend specially it is Electrostatic IEM at affordable pricepoint, you need to hear them personally. 😁
Hello, they sound Warm. Sorry i dont have blon03, i cant comment on that 😕
@hai janaba hahaha 🤣, oh you have NRA already? Its not an upgrade though, just a little bit more than than NRA, and yes you get that ZEXy look too
ZEX and NRA, well basically they are the same, under one Comapny but slightly tuned differently, besides the design i prefer ZEX over NRA, NRA is more balanced, but ZEX have more Bass, thats about it, IMHO, also I have no experience with other Electrostatic IEM besides NRA/ZEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back